Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

I used the stainless shim material to confirm size required, then worked a plan creating some out of 6061 rod.

However, as I said, at this price point, being into Shimano Trinidad, Torium, Daiwa Saltist BG price territory (size of comparable spec's of course), the SM should be faultless out of the box (or bag in this case).

SM update: the shim solution only partially works. (as in the Knob does not come loose anymore)

Reel on rod - thumb spin the spool; bit of bearing noise (also an issue for me) but other wise the spool is free spinning.

Re-spin spool, tilt rod/reel 90° to left; same as above.

Re-spin spool, tilt rod/reel 90° to right (handle side); audible braking noise, spool comes to rapid halt. 

Same trial with both SM reels. Similar result. One reel worse than the other.

Have you contacted Seigler about this. A couple of reasons I have these reels is the lifetime warranty, and that when I had questions I was able to talk to a real person when I called. Give them a call, or send them an email. From other costumer feedback that I have read they will take care of you. I will check my reels tomorrow, and post if I have the same issue.

Yes, I have contacted the Aussie company I bought the reels through & also Seigler. Contact has been via email as I'm NZ based & I have to allow for the time zones etc. Email is just easier for me as, unfortunately I'm usually busy in meetings at the best time of day to phone Seigler direct.

Yes, I also opted for the SM's significantly due to the life time warranty, party due to wanting a unique, robust, quality reel, party to be different to my Avet & Accurate touting mates. 

IMO also check your drags, mine were both shuddery/sticky. I found this issue when I was stripping the new line off both the reels (300m/15lb mono top-shotted over 150+m/30lb 832). Drags initially started quite smooth(-ish) with spool at max line load, but became increasingly shuddery during the continuous run line removal onto a Penn 525GS. The SMs factory set drag (wound down to absolute minimum) almost over-powered the Penn's drag (set to max) shortly after passing the mono/braid join knot & well before I reaching the spool knot. 

Considering my average cast (bait n wait) on the 525 Mag's is approx 100-115m & up to 130m for slide-baiting......average first "strip run" for the kingfish I like to target is approx 20-30m (can easily 100+m for some of the juvenile bronzies & rays), I'm a wee bit concerned.

Will have to wait & see what resolutions can be achieved.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8oz.

I didn't have a chance to take my reels out over the weekend, but will check all of these issues on mine when I get a chance.

On another note, welcome to the forum.

I've heard that the NZ fishing is good. The kingfish look like some fighters. I've always been curious if the reef formations that shorefisherman deal with were as sharp and numerous as the ones here in hawaii.

Edited by caster1990

Posted (edited) · Report post

It’s been over a week since I sent initial email to both Truth Reels Australia & Seigler Reels USA highlighting my concerns with the SM reels I received. Now over 5 days since sending email to same with comprehensive details of issues. These emails then followed up with two follow-emails to same. No responses back from either. Not even acknowledgement or receiving my communications.

Strangely (yeah, right!), when emailing queries on pricing & queries on custom options for these SM reels, the responses were received with 24 to 48 hours.

I have now also phoned Seigler & left a phone message.

Took both SMs down to the beach for a test casting session (also took the 525Mag2’s, 30SHW’s too). The SM’s are both VERY noisy, noisy, noisy!

The SM’s don’t achieve the distances of the 525’s or SHW's; that weird spool braking effect I referred to in a previous post when I tilt the reel 90° CW to the right (turn handle side down) kicks in. Even if I don't tilt the reel the casts don't match the other reels.

My rods are all built with reel seat in the low mount position (typical South African style), my left hand is my “reel control” hand, thumb on spool. My right hand is the “power hand” positioned about 50/60cm above the reel. At the end of the cast my left hand (& reel) end up positioned close to my chin/face (especially when wading out into the surf to cast).

Why I tilt the reel down (by reflex) is to avoid the reel handle jabbing me in the chin, or in the case SM’s, to avoid the non-counter balanced handle which is flopping & flailing about. I won’t be changing my casting style!

Hopefully Seigler Reels gets back to me to resolve these issues of self-loosening Spool Tensioners, noisy Spool bearings & stick Drags. I'm convinced these are all fixable

Edited by 8ozHeavy

I haven't thrown less than 3 oz bucktails with mine, but it's been great. Mostly got it for throwing bigger jigs, eels, and riggies. I wouldn't see any issue plugging with it. Plus I really don't know many companies that stand by their product as much or more than seigler.

I haven't thrown less than 3 oz bucktails with mine, but it's been great. Mostly got it for throwing bigger jigs, eels, and riggies. I wouldn't see any issue plugging with it. Plus I really don't know many companies that stand by their product as much or more than seigler.

Fins,

I couldn't agree more. This reel would excel for that purpose, and as I mentioned in the thread its a decent caster for weight and bait also.

Hi Marc.

Both are Seigler branded (not Truth). Consecutive serial numbers.

The SM's looked extremely robust. I intentionally investigated & got the SM's as heavy work (6-8oz+) upgrades to the Penn 525Mag2's (I occasionally also use Daiwa 30SHW's in place of the Penn's). The Mag2's & wee Mag Elites cast way back to the surf-backline easily with 4-5oz+bait or 4-5oz spools. The Elites are too slow on the wind-in with such a small Spool diameter (too much work!). Spares for the Mag2's are now like hens teeth (recently waited nearly 2 months for replacement main gear!). The SHW's lack that ROBUST feel & very are easily scratched when used on the rocks or stone beaches (foot plate is non-metal & I frequently expect a breakage!).

No response back from Seigler USA or the Aussie retailer to emails, Facebook PM or two phone messages left at Seigler. I will be waiting up till 1am to call Seigler again tonight.

If no joy with that, then next steps will be to dis-assemble a SM, measure & put all parts through a 3D scanner then re-build the reel assembly model in 3D CAD. FEA a few items too for interest. Find the root causes myself & my own solutions.

I'm still keen to rather get this resolved by Seigler. Just as keen too to get some Seigler LD reels for the boat (the 20 year old Shimano TLD's getting a bit too flogged!)

Cheers

Hi Marc.

Both are Seigler branded (not Truth). Consecutive serial numbers.

The SM's looked extremely robust. I intentionally investigated & got the SM's as heavy work (6-8oz+) upgrades to the Penn 525Mag2's (I occasionally also use Daiwa 30SHW's in place of the Penn's). The Mag2's & wee Mag Elites cast way back to the surf-backline easily with 4-5oz+bait or 4-5oz spools. The Elites are too slow on the wind-in with such a small Spool diameter (too much work!). Spares for the Mag2's are now like hens teeth (recently waited nearly 2 months for replacement main gear!). The SHW's lack that ROBUST feel & very are easily scratched when used on the rocks or stone beaches (foot plate is non-metal & I frequently expect a breakage!).

No response back from Seigler USA or the Aussie retailer to emails, Facebook PM or two phone messages left at Seigler. I will be waiting up till 1am to call Seigler again tonight.

If no joy with that, then next steps will be to dis-assemble a SM, measure & put all parts through a 3D scanner then re-build the reel assembly model in 3D CAD. FEA a few items too for interest. Find the root causes myself & my own solutions.

I'm still keen to rather get this resolved by Seigler. Just as keen too to get some Seigler LD reels for the boat (the 20 year old Shimano TLD's getting a bit too flogged!)

Cheers

8oz, I really appreciate your review and follow-up posts. I currently have Avet G2 SXJ MC on order, but due to manufacturing issues, it's 5 months overdue. It was supposed to be delivered in January, but now it's expected to be delivered end of June.

I was going to cancel the order for Avet and pick this one up, but your posts are steering me in another direction... If you have any recommendations for an alternative conventional surf reel, will you please PM me (so that I don't go off-topic on this thread)?

Thanks again.

^^^ Phone calls and emails should be enough.

I have had a good experience from my SM reel and from the company, but failing to respond to a customer is unacceptable. Hopefully they get back to you soon.

Regardless of my reel issues (I cant believe it's only me noticing/experiencing these issues) I do like the Seigler reels. Aesthetically, the SM reels are really unique & have a signature appearance. I admire the Seigler company for their product development & obvious investment in quality production machinery. As an engineer, I query some of the design logic (a circlip groove in a shaft? Really?). As a fisherman, I'm hooked. I'll still buy more without a doubt.

1:00am New Zealand time = obviously way-too-early Virginia time!

8:50am NZT = finally spoke to a real human at Seigler,..."home of the all American Reel".

Unfortunately this was literally 5 minutes before I had to attend a project meeting. Fortunately I did manage to get an updated email address.

CTS blanks arrived today....bugga, now me brain is flip-flopping between reel issues/fixes & rod building options!!

The CTS multi-piece blanks are very different to (my usual) Purglas blanks/rods.

Anybody have any comments/advice?