Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Anybody having spool tension knob issues on the new models? I have my brand new one spooled up, but haven't got out to test it yet. Mine goes from completely locked down(wont spin in freespool) to quite a bit of side to side "knock" in about a quarter inch turn of the tension knob. Is this normal?

did you get that from me? If so bring it in...

I still have a few here, no problems.

Can't tune it by only spinning the spool.......throw it and make necessary adjustments (mag control)......only very negligible side to side movement with the spool tension knob.

Anybody having spool tension knob issues on the new models? I have my brand new one spooled up, but haven't got out to test it yet. Mine goes from completely locked down(wont spin in freespool) to quite a bit of side to side "knock" in about a quarter inch turn of the tension knob. Is this normal?

Dude,

I have 2 pairs of these and the only issue I have had with the spool adjust was that it worked itself loose with multiple casts. Another member mentioned using plumbers tape, and it worked perfect. I believe this will fix your issue as well. Set it and forget it. Dcast is also correct when tuning a reel you have to make test casts with every adjustment so that you know how the reel is reacting. I find that it's helpful to use the rod, weight, and bait you are going to be using to dial the reel in. If your still having issues with blow ups a simple stationary mag in addition to what the reel has will work until you are more familiar with your setup.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I ordered one last week using the factory custom option. I wanted to be able to use a rod clamp which is now available as an option so I can attach a casting trigger. This kind of adds a sense of stability with my old arthritic hands. If you use the custom option you can get the reel in all one color. 3 weeks waiting time as they need to get some parts anodized.

Caster1990-As far as the stationary mag-My understanding is that they now use a bigger mag than they did on the original Release model. Have you found that it still may need more control with the Seigler editions?

How full do you fill the spool? I have found leaving 3/16" space at the top of the shoulder is about right on Squidders,Newells and the Avet MX5.8MC.

Marc 

Edited by mml4

Dude,

I have 2 pairs of these and the only issue I have had with the spool adjust was that it worked itself loose with multiple casts. Another member mentioned using plumbers tape, and it worked perfect. I believe this will fix your issue as well. Set it and forget it. Dcast is also correct when tuning a reel you have to make test casts with every adjustment so that you know how the reel is reacting. I find that it's helpful to use the rod, weight, and bait you are going to be using to dial the reel in. If your still having issues with blow ups a simple stationary mag in addition to what the reel has will work until you are more familiar with your setup.

Thanks man! My main concern was the keeping the knob where i set it, considering the small amount of adjustment needed. Wasn't quite sure how to word it, but you nailed it. I hadn't thought of it, but teflon plumbers tape should work perfect! I might even play around with some old felt drag washers as spacers for the tension knob

Mm14, on the larger mag. This is my understanding as well. I have the new (Seigler) brand of the SM model, and have never used the older, but have casted a tamer stationary magged SM. A pair of mine are mounted to 305s Makois for 4oz. And med size single hook bait. These reels are comfortable with this setup. Since all casters aren't created equal, for myself, I have found that the spools have enough mass to overpower the mag when I use a field style high pendulum cast which is my preferred style. That being said i have not tuned this reel and it is stable for me out to about 125 yds with a slow smooth Hatteras cast, and my payload. If I stationary mag, or when, since I have tuned all of my reels eventually I will post some pics. Keep in mind that unless you severely over mag a reel you won't lose much distance.

I mentioned the stationary mag because I wasn't sure of the experience level of some that are purchasing them, or any fast reel, and to me enjoying your gear promotes more practice which in turn pays dividends on the casting field and the beach. If you need the distance to catch fish you are going to need technique. For some, slowing a reel enough to get out there and cast multiple times, fishing or on the field, is the key to success regardless of distance.

Ai guy,

If you do try things other than the tape be sure to consider how porius the material is you don't want water retention.

Edited by caster1990

yea I finally got out and used the reel yesterday! Man what a blast. Def took a hand full of casts to get to know the reel with plenty of rats nests! I am just starting to feel it out and with the setup I am using I have a lot more tweaking to do. I found that although I didn't cast as far when I had the reel tightened down it still avoided over spooling. I cant wait to catch something on this reel its a total pisser!

I found that although I didn't cast as far when I had the reel tightened down it still avoided over spooling.

Dude, maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Are you using the spool tention knob to further slow the reel after you run out of mag adjustment? You shouldn't lose much distance (fishstance as i like to call it with bait) with the mag fully on. Having the mag full on costs me maybe 3-5 yrds on a 100+ yard cast. Edited by caster1990

Tape alone solved my problem! Spool tension knob stays right where I put it now. Thanks again.

Good to hear, enjoy the new toy. Nice red in your profile pic. Tight lines

Hi all. Based in NZ.

I received my pair of SM's last weekend. After a year of considering various options for my surfcasting/rock fishing set-ups I purchased the SM's as up-grades to my pair of 525's (which were up-grades of my pair of Mag Elites, which were up-grades for my.....well, I'm sure you get the picture!). Anyway, I have the same issue as AI GUY. The "Spool Knob" works loose from where I've intentionally set it (at barely perceptible axial movement of the spool).

As an engineer with 35+years in the precision mechanical design industry I consider this issue to be a design flaw of a mechanical mechanism for the designer & manufacturer (Seigler) to resolve.

As an angler (of even greater number of years experience) I do not find this (& other issues with these SM's) acceptable for fishing reel at this price point. (As I'm based in NZ, I'm doubtful Seigler will give a toss about these particular issues)

To all those that have/will experience this issue of the Spool Knob working loose, please email Seigler so they can be informed & address the issue. A basic solution for Seigler to consider would be to machine a groove to incorporate a small O-Ring on the male part & machine a counterbore in the female. The O-Ring will create frictional resistance when with in c/bore preventing the Spool Knob from working loose with the added benefit of keeping grit & moisture out of the threads.

For my reels I intent to use 1x 0.102mm (.004") stainless shim washer. With the shim washer fitted onto Knob & the Knob then finger tightened, the spool axial play should be negligible with zero mechanical braking effect.

8oz,

I will agree that this could be taken care of in a number of ways at the manufacturing as well as the consumer level. I always like to keep things simple, so the tape served its purpose. If I were going to put a shim here, stainless would not be one of the choices for two reasons. First, the issue is the knob works itself loose. In order for a shim to work a person would have to put torque against it which could scar the surfaces, regardless of how remote the possibility. Second, once mated together, if you add an electrolyte (water), you promote corrosion between the ss and anodized aluminium.