Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Did they ship it out when you purchased them or is their a build time like zeebaas reels typically come with?

You can find these in stores and online. when I inquired (Truth) was willing to make a custom color at a minimal upcharge ($50). There would have been a wait time for the custom build.

You can find these in stores and online. when I inquired (Truth) was willing to make a custom color at a minimal upcharge ($50). There would have been a wait time for the custom build.

gotcha

Paul, what weights are you most comfortable throwing with the Siegler or Release or Truth (whatever version you're using)?  Are you plugging / jigging like Ged, or tossing weight and bait?

At one time, the company was recommending the Surf for 2 - 16 oz. payloads, a weight range that really implies the latter.  That's why it impresses me that Ged can plug with the thing, albeit he's not casting floating minnows.

P.S.  Totally unrelated.  "Ged" is the name of the wizard protagonist in Ursula LeGuin's "Earthsea"  novels.  I think of them every time he posts. Good books, I loved them when I was younger. 

I was throwing 4 to 6 usually with my 1449

The surf machines up to 12

The rods chosen were for weights used, they worked great,

Used 17 and 20 mono

Braid use 30 and 50.

If I want to cast lighter lures a different rod might work alot better.

Would still cast great...

I have spinners for lighter stuff.

Go with the 50

I just filled 2 with the 832 in 50, popular.

We have video of casting very well with 80 also...:)

Ok I love 832 I'll take your advice and string it up with 50lb tomorrow I can't wait! If you don't mind post a link to that video I'd like to see it thanks

post-74291-0-90407000-1494496197.jpg

I tried Won't let me put it up??

Dude! Thanks so much for posting the video! Perfectly explained how to cast it properly. I am guessing you drop your thumb on the spool the second it hits the water to stop it from freespooling into a rats nest right? heres a pic of my new reel I cant wait to put it to use. I just strung it up with 50lb suffix 832 and 15' of shock leader

Glad it played

I put more videos up on JPR rods Facebook.

Don't forget to lay the line even, it casts better.

Shock leader we had over 20 ft on that. Personal preference....

We have a few blanks designed for short leaders, so no need to run leader thru guides :)

DGWJ0751.JPG

Dude! Thanks so much for posting the video! Perfectly explained how to cast it properly. I am guessing you drop your thumb on the spool the second it hits the water to stop it from freespooling into a rats nest right? heres a pic of my new reel I cant wait to put it to use. I just strung it up with 50lb suffix 832 and 15' of shock leader

Yes to your question. You may also lightly thumb (feather) the spool as needed mid cast to tame any fluff that starts. The SM's large rounded spool sides were designed well for this; some reels have the spool lips inside the cage forcing you to thumb the line itself. Also be sure to keep your shock knot on the side when you thumb level prior to another cast. Its in a good spot now, although as a righty I always place it on the opposite side of where you have yours. Also start off full mags.

I have 20lb mono on mine but ACL surgury has prevented me from toying around with mine as much as I would like to tune it up. Good luck with yours.

Glad it played

I put more videos up on JPR rods Facebook.

Don't forget to lay the line even, it casts better.

Shock leader we had over 20 ft on that. Personal preference....

We have a few blanks designed for short leaders, so no need to run leader thru guides :)

What blanks are those? 

Anybody having spool tension knob issues on the new models? I have my brand new one spooled up, but haven't got out to test it yet. Mine goes from completely locked down(wont spin in freespool) to quite a bit of side to side "knock" in about a quarter inch turn of the tension knob. Is this normal?

Anybody having spool tension knob issues on the new models? I have my brand new one spooled up, but haven't got out to test it yet. Mine goes from completely locked down(wont spin in freespool) to quite a bit of side to side "knock" in about a quarter inch turn of the tension knob. Is this normal?

I haven't noticed that in mine. They sell them at J@H maybe take it in and have them look at it?