Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys I was thinking of getting one of these beautiful reels and I was wondering if anyone has fished with them? I love the hataras casting methods and the giant 13 and 14' rods they sling bait from. Has anyone gotten into this kind of fishing or used this specific reel? Thanks again I know they used to be truth reels and was something else before that but from what I hear they are quality just want to verifying before I make the plunge on a conventional rocket launcher.

Edited by EricJ

If I recall, Ged, you're actually casting dense plugs and jigs on it?  But it's best suited for slinging bait and weight, as the OP intends.

Hey guys I was thinking of getting one of these beautiful reels and I was wondering if anyone has fished with them? I love the hataras casting methods and the giant 13 and 14' rods they sling bait from. Has anyone gotten into this kind of fishing or used this specific reel? Thanks again I know they used to be truth reels and was something else before that but from what I hear they are quality just want to verifying before I make the plunge on a conventional rocket launcher.

While I may not have used one in the surf yet, I've handled one of those reels and talked to the owner of the company in person and it was an amazingly well made reel, which I think would work well for what you want to do

I have mostly thrown 2-4oz lead heads and rubber, 2-3oz tins, SS poppers and swim shadds. I can cast it farther with the SM than I could with a PENN525 or 7000 Abu. I am certainly not an expert with conventional. The reel is smooth, consistent and have a smooth drag. It isn't as fast as first advertised (IPT), but it is a nice reel.

Edited by ged

I have mostly thrown 2-4oz lead heads and rubber, 2-3oz tins, SS poppers and swim shadds. I can cast it farther with the SM than I could with a PENN525 or 7000 Abu. I am certainly not an expert with conventional. The reel is smooth, consistent and have a smooth drag. It isn't as fast as first advertised (IPT), but it is a nice reel.

if it throws those well i would love to see a slightly smaller one for lighter plugging, maybe just narrow the spool

I've fished two Truth versions with heavy bait on 13+' rods.....marvelous casting machine with power........there were some problems with the early 'release' versions......mine were ordered directly from Truth (Seigler)....there are some options......have a chat with the folks at Seigler.

I guess some early reels had an issue with engaging the gears. My reel has been 100%

Edited by ged

Have been using them since release, I fished the century SS 1449, now fish a seigler and surf machine...awesome. Just got the new reels and blanks in.

post-5200-0-07733900-1494028877.jpg

post-5200-0-99234300-1494029105.jpg

post-5200-0-37457900-1494029293.jpg