Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dah seee

What reel to pair with BL7030?

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

He's had them for years. Chinni serviced them multiple times. Kid fishes a lot. I know him and I fish more than most of the guys on here. Idk if he rinses and lubes them often. I know that I hardly ever rinse and oil my reels. And the only lube my newells get is a saltwater dunking to free them up. So now the fathom and newells have held up to that but the avets don't so again they have no place in bottom fishing where they are constantly used in that type of environment. They break constantly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

He's had them for years. Chinni serviced them multiple times. Kid fishes a lot. I know him and I fish more than most of the guys on here. Idk if he rinses and lubes them often. I know that I hardly ever rinse and oil my reels. And the only lube my newells get is a saltwater dunking to free them up. So now the fathom and newells have held up to that but the avets don't so again they have no place in bottom fishing where they are constantly used in that type of environment. They break constantly.

Yea youre newell sounds GREAT those bearings are the fishizzle !! saltwater lubrication.

I have 2 avets , for years, never had a bearing issue, although, I have heard folks have bearing issue with them,  I DONT KNOW WHOSE BEARINGS AVET USES, BUT THEY ARE SUPER FAST.

Tere are a couple of things going on here.  one, if you exceed a certain load on any of the smaller avet reels, you will blow out the right main side plate bearing.  you will know that you are damaging the reel because you will note a slight resistance when you turn the handle.  with that first turn, you have just damaged the bearing.  the more you turn, the more damage you are causing.

even if your drag range is low enough, water can still intrude.  avet's bearings are actually well packed with grease.  water can get in, so they should be repacked.  i like the yamaha product for that application.  

and lastly, avet's bearings.  they generally charge $5 per bearing regardless of size.  part of that is service to their customers, the other part is that they are inexpensive to begin with.  the bearings from smoothdrag.com or ****.com are a much higher quality.  it would be worth switching over to a higher quality bearing, but only if you will pack it with grease AND keep the drag below a certain range.  otherwise, stick with the cheap avet bearings and just replace them as you go.  

who knows maybe who ever svcd them never oiled or greased the bearings ??? or maybe it was one bearing bad they couldnt figure it out so they changed them all. If multiple  bearing failure, then there is an addition issue/ different problem going on.

the first time they failed he shoulda installed open non shielded bearings from boca, and grease them, done !

I seen a shop swap out bearings in a reel , a known problem with the exact same piece of ****, he shulda replaced with open bearings and greased them, or at minimum use corrosion x oil, problem solved.

If he still has the reels send them to me, I wanna open them up.

Edited by Snaps

Salting 15 if you have the $$$

Avet is my 2nd.

My Newell is in my basement... never understood why folks like it that much..

He traded them for fathoms lol. He still uses avets for his tuna and shark setups. Still uses the mxl for trolling mojo's and umbrellas. But got rid of all his sx's because they all had issues.

Avet is my 2nd.

because u can abuse your newells and they will still outlast the saltigas and the avets.

because u can abuse your newells and they will still outlast the saltigas and the avets.

LOL all ya gotta do is rinse em in saltwater.

He traded them for fathoms lol. He still uses avets for his tuna and shark setups. Still uses the mxl for trolling mojo's and umbrellas. But got rid of all his sx's because they all had issues.

Too bad he had to go thru that,had he realized, coulda replaced with open bearings and greased them, so, if water got in , the grease would have protected the bearing, any reel has the possibility of water intrusion.

Edited by Snaps

how many bottom fishing trips do u make a year?

I fluke every weekend the whole summer with it. plus fall for seabass and tog. i do switch rods a bit but not much. Had my avet 5-6 years never a problem. You gotta hose it down every trip.

I fluke every weekend the whole summer with it. plus fall for seabass and tog. i do switch rods a bit but not much. Had my avet 5-6 years never a problem. You gotta hose it down every trip.

he never fluked with them. I think it's the real bottom fishing stuff that destroys them. Like ling, cod, seabass, and tog. Stuff where your rebaiting constantly. I use freshwater baitcasters for fluke with almost no issues with out rinsing them.

Setting hook with 8oz does damage, setting hook into a wreck does damage, and breaking off when your stuck does a lot damage. Avets do have a good frame so that helps a lot.

Salt water is salt water. unless your stuffing clams in your reel its the same thing. I may not fish the amount of times you do but mine is holding up. in fact its the only reel to never give me a problem. not a big fan of the lever drag but you can set it and forget it. maybe i just got a well made reel. 

If its wear and tear we're talking about maybe someone who fishes a whole lot and beats up on the reel may have a problem. like i said i switch between 3 reels for bottom. so maybe that why mine never dies.

Edited by Humboldt Squid

Avet is my 2nd.

What ,model newel U wanna sell em?

Avet is my 2nd.

If your Newell is a 220, MikeY will pay you big dollars.  Just wait for his semi-annual WTB thread to roll around.

Salt gets inside a conventional reel whether you rinse it or not.  And when it does, I say, "hey Mickrazz..."  

especially when you rinse em with SW