What reel to pair with BL7030?

Rate this topic

Dah seee

Hi guys,

I just picked up the Lamiglas BL7030C for tog fishing around the Elizabeth Islands. I chose this rod over the TFX series because I prefer the moderate/fast action as opposed to the fast action tip of the TFX. I tend to set the hook too quick on a fast action tip and end up missing it.

On the other hand, what kind of reel would pair up nicely with the BL7030? This is my first conventional setup and I've been a spinning guy for the most part. Any suggestion or recommendation is appreciated.

I think DikLarsen would suggest the Penn Fathom. He has a few 7030s. But any thing small and powerful would do the trick, not to exclude a Newell 220. Mick is good though, and his suggestion should not be disregarded

Riff Raff

I think DikLarsen would suggest the Penn Fathom. He has a few 7030s. But any thing small and powerful would do the trick, not to exclude a Newell 220. Mick is good though, and his suggestion should not be disregarded

Riff Raff

I think Dik can speak for himself, the question is , Scott,what is your suggestion, opinion and recommendation? Okuma?

My 2 cents, depends on how much you can afford n how much fishing you do.

Usually get the best you can afford, lever or star drag? Hi speed retrieve ? Nice when you have to rebait, after a missed bite, slacker can opine on that.

Avet lever drags are nearly indestructible,minimal moving parts massive drag comes in lottsa colors, newells are , no longer made, after market used reels have lottsa hype and created hi $$ most parts are available some harder to get than others. Penn fathom good reel for short $ smooth don't know how they hold up haven't open one but heard good things. Penn jigmaster old skool Lo speed gear ratio, heavy, work horse. Daiwa saltist 20h great reel saltiga is better. Ya go every day bottom fish for tog n c bass n cod? Save your sheckles and Spend the $ to get sturdy reel and clean it after every trip.

Edited by Snaps

My fathom 12 has held up great for two seasons now. Never rinsed and never serviced and fished a lot. It's caught stripers over 40lbs, a bunch of dbl digit tog including a 14lber. It's also jigged seabass in 250 ft of water and cod in 140. i highly recommend them. The only thing I dislike is how ugly they look lol

I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

They get destroyed. The bearings turn to poop in one season. My friend matt destroyed three last year. They're junk. Good for trolling and jigging.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

They get destroyed. The bearings turn to poop in one season. My friend matt destroyed three last year. They're junk. Good for trolling and jigging.

There ya go Alex, must be true cause it was said on the internet.

Yes and how much clam juice, crab juice, n salt water is he get inside without rinsing them? Did he ever lube the bearings or grease the reel? And how long did he have them before they chit the bed.??