MorningWood

Inflated prices for custom plugs

35 posts in this topic

Glad to hear there are no hard feelings on this issues I have expressed. I had a chance to chat with Gray gables at the SWLCC yesterday, & its always a pleasure catching up with Matt and we are both good as far as this matter is concerned. I will also concede that TimS & MW are justified in their personal feelings even if they are not in line with my own. Having a respectful discussion on etiquette can be tricky but despite your stances, I certainly can understand where you all are coming from. I have a lot to say on "inflated prices for custom plugs" but because I'm personally uncomfortable with the timing of this discussion, I won't comment on the matter any further.   

nice to see you yesterday gary. 

On 4/29/2017 at 11:55 AM, MorningWood said:

Thanks for the nice words Bouy. I guess we just have a difference of opinion on the respect for the dead issue. Like I said I feel no moral obligation to respect someone just because they passed. Not that I would compare Ted to any hated figure in history but there are multitudes of people who are not due any more respect just because they are dead. There are likewise multitudes of people who's deaths are cheered and celebrated despite the way this may make their surviving family feel. Again I have zero knowledge of Ted's life other than his obsession with collecting high end striper plugs and I dont believe it is crass to comment on this after his death. It is the one interest I know I shared with him and I dont feel it inappropriate to discuss it. I dont know his family but If I did, this is not a conversation I would initiate with them, but to discuss it on a fishing website with others who either shared in his obsession or were effected by it is neither disrespectful to him or his family in my opinion.

I guess enough time has passed.  My personal recollection of Teddy Kozlik is that he was a bully.  Whether that relates to preceding comments is up to others to conclude, each for himself.  To his credit, I will say that in his senior year in high school, he drove a Corvette.  AFAIK, that reflects on his personal industriousness, not rich or indulgent parents.

It was not possible for me to attend our 50th reunion, so I did not have an opportunity to discuss our differences.  I did not mourn his death, nor did I celebrate it.  I will probably share his having died in possession of a ****load of items not easily sold for their value, much less (in his case) their purchase price.

Thus is life.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, HHS62 said:

I guess enough time has passed.  My personal recollection of Teddy Kozlik is that he was a bully.  Whether that relates to preceding comments is up to others to conclude, each for himself.  To his credit, I will say that in his senior year in high school, he drove a Corvette.  AFAIK, that reflects on his personal industriousness, not rich or indulgent parents.

It was not possible for me to attend our 50th reunion, so I did not have an opportunity to discuss our differences.  I did not mourn his death, nor did I celebrate it.  I will probably share his having died in possession of a ****load of items not easily sold for their value, much less (in his case) their purchase price.

Thus is life.

I’m curious what happened to his massive collection. 

On 4/26/2017 at 3:17 PM, TimS said:

You can say you heard it here first - someone will liquidate that collection. I'm sure everyone intends to keep it in the family...one day, maybe not soon...maybe not next year...maybe not for a few years - but someone is going to liquidate that collection. 

FYI...if you had a collection like that you would NEVER tell people it was going to be liquidated - I'm imagining his collection to be vast enough to crash plug prices before it could be liquidated. Would be a fool to say "yes, we are going to sell his plugs" :bucktooth:  I don't expect anyone to announce that they will be sold...I'd even go a step further and bet even while they are being sold there wouldn't be any mention they came from his collection  :b:

I hope they do stay in the family...I imagine his children would love to showcase the plugs that made their father so happy...I get that :love:

Any word of that collection being liquidated could send people into a panic getting rid of simple 6" needlefish that they paid $120 for before they were only worth $25 again :scared:  The entire ultra high price plug market is baseless and will, one day, crumble...it's a fad...there is no support for the prices. Anyone that understands commodities or stocks will tell you that, much like Beanie Babies, there is nothing supporting these crazy prices. I wouldn't be shocked, like Morning Wood opined, if this was a catalyst for a serious "adjustment" in the over priced plug market...sort of like when the tech bubble burst :b: My sister still has hundreds of once very valuable Beanie Babies....I don't think they are worth their original retail cost any more :o

TimS

Haven’t seen anything yet. I’m wondering if it got sold or not? 

3 mins ago, gray gables said:

Haven’t seen anything yet. I’m wondering if it got sold or not? 

I have no idea.  It is just barely possible that one of my classmates will know, although I can only think of two possibilities, only one of whom I am in touch with at all.