Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony C

Off Shore; Where are the Tuna when not in the usual haunts?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

They can be anywhere. Where do ya usually fish? If ya fish the Hudson, try the west flats well before the canyon. Sometimes the fish are there thick. Look for the blue water, get into the good temperature breaks. Are ya chunkin? Trolling? My crew went last week without me (dentist appointment) and loaded up on longfin and a 500# blue marlin in the flats.

They can be anywhere. Where do ya usually fish? If ya fish the Hudson, try the west flats well before the canyon. Sometimes the fish are there thick. Look for the blue water, get into the good temperature breaks. Are ya chunkin? Trolling? My crew went last week without me (dentist appointment) and loaded up on longfin and a 500# blue marlin in the flats.

I myself am a party boat tuna fisherman, been out 3 x with a total of 5 yft to 70 lbs landed and 4 good hookups lost.

I have one last trip booked on the Gambeler on 10/22 and have been watching the current reports with some dissapointment.

Well, if ya go a headboat you go where the Captian takes ya smile.gif . Usually, they know where the fish are but that doesnt mean they're gonna chew that day.

Well, if ya go a headboat you go where the Captian takes ya smile.gif . Usually, they know where the fish are but that doesnt mean they're gonna chew that day.

What is your impression of the chunkung season so far?

Have'nt cut one piece of butterfish yet, all our fish have been on the troll. I do know some guys have been doing pretty good with the chunks though.

I went out to the Hooter off Falmouth, MA a week or so ago and hooked up on 3 bluefin all 40lbs plus, on butter's rigged out on balloon, worked great after 3 hours of trolling with nothing more than one lousy, lost bluefish, 40 miles out. We found one high-flier and had a nice bull on as well. Almost got the triple crown!!