Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Penn Slammer Bail ... problematic too???

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Does the Penn Slammer develope bail closing during cast problems. I have a 705 and a 704Z and they both do it. I know that positioning the handle is an answer. However, do all bailed reels do this. I am really not liking the whole surprise bail deal. Mostly because my next few casts are always weaker because I think it's going to happen again.

So I am looking to replace at least one of these reels soon and a couple of guys suggested the Slammers. HELP.

I am also considering removing the auto close mechanism so that the bail is closed manually. How well does this work and how fast and easy is it?

I do have a new 706Z, but am saving that for a bigger rod combination.

I have two 360's and one of them does close prematuraly once in a while, bugs the poop out of me. The other has only been cast a couple of times but has not had the problem (too early to say).

D

I have had the bail problem on my 560. It doesn't happen often,but I hate it when it does.

I have a 704Z bailess, don't have that problem. Could also remove the bail on the slammer.

With a 6500SS. Don't really know how comparable it is to other penns. Casted off three nice plugs before I figured it out. For some reason the bail was rotating during the motion of casting. The bail was openend and set too close to it's catch point upon casting. The rotation of the bail caused by casting would result in it's closure Opening the bail just after the catch point solved the problem and restored confidence to "Let Fly"!

i do find the reel to be too quick and the although the bail is cut on mine

i find that the spool moves during casting.if i did have a bail on im sure there would be breakage hence why i use the VS and Z

I had the liveliner 5600 and got sick of the bail wire tripping, even with the handle at 6:00. Got rid of it and stuck to my bailless Zs.