ccb

ABU 6500 C3. Info

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I use big game 20#. Once I spool up I spray reel magic on it, stretch about 75-100 yards of the line. Spray it periodically with reel magic, I'd say once a month or so at night or when I'm not fishing for a few hours.

17# mono on mine. I only use it for bait fishing and I much prefer mono to braid for bait. 17# is plenty strong and gives you plenty of line on the spool. Learned it from the drum guys down in the mid Atlantic - that's all they use. 

I've been using 50# braid for years now. I won't use any other sizes. Seems to work for me

I agree, I use 50 lb braid with no issues.

ccb get used to using the braid 40 or 50 pound test . The reel can handle it if you can lay the line so that it eliminates back lashes. Once the spool is moving let it go until it gets ready to drop back down. It will take you a little time to settle in and feel comfortable with that setup, but i know you are up to the challenge :howdy:

I guess they can handle some pretty good size fish?  I have always been a 500 Jigmaster guy.  Some guys use 113H Penn reels all the time for stripers, but I think they are heavy? When you look at them they look so small.   Even the  ABU 700 looks small? 

Posted (edited)

15lb mono or 30lb braid. I think the 17lb mono is too big. I have had no issues with drum, stripers, or even an occassional shark. I am not a fan of the drag and have moved on to other reels.

Edited by Catch This