hookmeup

Another kayaker dies

18 posts in this topic

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/06/authorities_pull_kayaker_from_raritan_bay.html#incart_river

KEANSBURG - After an hours-long search, authorities have pulled a male kayaker from a section of the Raritan Bay near Beachway Avenue and Raritan Avenue.

The search, which included officials from the New York Police Department's Harbor Patrol, Keansburg Police Department and other local agencies, began early Saturday morning after the man slipped underneath the water several feet from the shore and did not surface, said witnesses at the scene.

Borough resident Jessica Voorhees said she arrived at the scene shortly after the search began.

The kayaker was removed from the water just feet from where he initially went missing, Voorhees said.

The kayaker's medical condition remains unclear. Calls to the Keansburg Police Department for details were not immediately returned.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/16400445/kayaker_pulled_from_raritan_bay_has_died_authoriti.amp

KEANSBURG -The kayaker pulled from Raritan Bay near a Keansburg beach Saturday morning has died, authorities confirm.

Jairo Esquivel-Prendas of Summit, was pulled from the waters near the beach at Beachway Avenue and Raritan Avenue following an hours-long search that included the Keansburg Police Department, the New York Police Department, U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies.

The search began at approximately 8:45 Saturday morning, when first responders arrived at the beach after receiving reports of a male kayaker signaling for aid, said Sergeant First Class Gregory Williams, New Jersey State Police spokesman

Aviation units from the New York Police Department and New Jersey State Police began a search of the waters where Esquivel-Prendas' kayak disappeared beneath the water's surface, Williams said.

Esquivel-Prendas was eventually located and transported to Bayshore Hospital in Holmdel, where he was pronounced dead at approximately 11 a.m., Williams said. Police did not release his full date of birth but said he was born in 1982.

Additional details were not immediately available. An investigation by the state police into the cause of the incident is ongoing, Williams said.

the articles are a good reminder of the dangers of kayaking. Always wear a life jacket, go with a friend, make sure you can contact someone by phone or radio in an emergency, and don't get eaten by great white sharks. one of my friends rolled when alone in cold water and came close to drowning, no life jacket and in the early morning hours just before sunrise.

something happen last night i was on the water on my boat came over.the vhf just as sun was going down green kayak flipped in keansburg, alot of searched boats and i heard over channel 16 he had personal locator beacon hope they found him

I was thinking about kayak fishing fatalities since I started in the sport. In New England I know of 2 since 2003. One had a seizure in Marbledhead and was found face down with his PFD and sadly passed from drowning. Another guy in Maine had a heart attack and was also found face down with his PFD on.

People can point fingers at others and call them "unsafe" in the community. We laugh. The fact remains if you have a medical condition that could cause you to lose consciousness? You shouldn't be wearing a type III PFD. It's not designed to put a passed out person face up.

I was thinking about kayak fishing fatalities since I started in the sport. In New England I know of 2 since 2003. One had a seizure in Marbledhead and was found face down with his PFD and sadly passed from drowning. Another guy in Maine had a heart attack and was also found face down with his PFD on.

People can point fingers at others and call them "unsafe" in the community. We laugh. The fact remains if you have a medical condition that could cause you to lose consciousness? You shouldn't be wearing a type III PFD. It's not designed to put a passed out person face up.

Most people probably don't know this, but something else to consider, add it to the list

The only details released  so far are that the kayaker was not wearing a pfd.  He was about a mile off shore. A fisherman on shore called 911.

It appears to be windy on the bay today with white caps . Prayers and condolences go out his  family.

They could have died taking a crap, those fatalities have nothing to do with the sport.

They could have died taking a crap, those fatalities have nothing to do with the sport.

Wtf does that have to do with it? These are the fatalities in my area while kayak fishing. We are not calling the sport unsafe this is what has happeneded.

Wtf does that have to do with it? These are the fatalities in my area while kayak fishing. We are not calling the sport unsafe this is what has happeneded.

The point is that if someone has a stroke while kayaking, for instance, you can't blame the sport. Likewise, if someone has a heart attack, or a seizure, one cannot really claim that kayaking was the cause, no more than one could say walking was the cause of death if someone had a heart attack while walking.

That is what it has to do with it.  Where in my post did I say kayaking is unsafe.