Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mightyrime

Inflatable SUP purchase advice

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just sold my Kayak and I am going for the inflatable SUP.  I am deciding to go inflatable as most likely I am moving to a new place in Los Angeles that does not have a yard to store a hard SUP.

I spoke to a local dealer yesterday and he said 95% percent of all inflatable SUP are made in either a factory in China or a factory in Thialand and that most are made of the exact same materials.  He actually suggested not buying some of the premium priced inflatables as they were the same boards with different graphics of other boards half the price.  

Anyway I thought I would start a new inflatable SUP thread and see what people like and dont like.

I am looking for a boat to sight fish marsh areas / flats, take on bass lakes, travel with, and take my 3 year old on for fun ( with PFD of course)

The brands / models I have been considering are:

Bote-Zepelin

NRS-Heron 11

Hala- Fame

Boardworks-Badfisher or MCIT

SUP on the Fly - Guide

thanks

Made in China or not, I would look for an inflatable that has welded seams(not glued), heavy coated fabric (PU/PVC), no

internal bladder, and more than one chamber.

I did look at the list you have and none of them give any specs on material weight (i.e. 1000D PU coated fabric),

nor do they mention how the seems are treated; glued or welded.

Maybe it's a given on how they are assembled (welded not glued) but I would ask these questions directly.

I would then consider the ones who reply more readily....might mean better customer service.

Checked out a few at some shops.  I ordered the Hala Fame.  Overall the Hala boards seem like a tougher level of construction than the other boards.  They are designed for whitewater rafting level punishment.  Another thing is the hala boards are extremely rigid vs other boards i saw.

I bought a Bote Aero Bugslinger this fall and it is good. 

A couple of things I like. The paddle sheath is convenient to just place the paddle down. And the sand spear thing is nice to stake out in shallow water. 

I did not get the rack but I will get that before the spring. 

We have an inflatable SUP and it's awesome for throwing in the back of the car, easy to take on a road trip etc... But in the wind it is worse than any of even the worst conventional SUPs I have used. Not my favorite to fish off of. Ours is a Bodyglove brand with welded seams when inflated it is plenty rigid. It just lacks any ballast.

I would be interested in trying out one of the premium boards like an inflatable BOTE.

17 hours ago, Kml said:

I bought a Bote Aero Bugslinger this fall and it is good. 

A couple of things I like. The paddle sheath is convenient to just place the paddle down. And the sand spear thing is nice to stake out in shallow water. 

I did not get the rack but I will get that before the spring. 

You should bring it down to ibsp in the spring. 

I love my Elkton Outdoors Grebe. Not the best in the wind and wouldn’t take it into swells but a great board for the price. Very stable but a little sluggish due to the size. 12 ft by 3 ft. Easily take a kid or a dog along.

36817762-899F-4904-89B0-EB3B04F4C3B1.jpeg

184F33C9-A064-4461-AF74-D0D11BA8A631.jpeg