dboys

RH Customs?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Cakes, just curious, what's the difference about being on here or on a closed FB group?  Both places encourage open discussions such as what is taking place here.

on here negativity is the norm. Product and people bashing is the norm. We Don't allow that in that group. No product bashing is in the rules. Honest feedback is fine but you can't just bad-mouth things or people because you heard this or your trying to get that pound of flesh. How many posts on here are negative but they are from people with no actual personal experience with what they are speaking negatively about? Listen I'm not saying things are perfect but they are miles better that what it seems after reading this thread.

Also not using your real name make people feel they are not accountable for their actions or words.

This is I can agree with. But too be fair there are a lot of threads here that speak highly of different products.  Limiting people form sharing an opinion, should it be a negative one, does not allow for both sides of a story. And the negativity exists in both forums. For example I saw a thread last night on F.B. about a certain Plug Bag manufacturer that was posted by a customer who was not happy.  That thread carried on with individuals bashing the product/company who didn't even own anything made by said company.  And yet more negative comments came in from a rep of a competing company.  Readers just need to use a little common sense to know those comments should not be taken seriously yet they were not filtered out.   Readers need to be selective in what they ingest.  I prefer to throw away the extremes on both sides and consider comments that appear less emotional and more fact related. 

That isn't my group. As for reader's using common sense,I have no control over that but I do have control over what people say on there. As I said not all feedback or reviews are positive. Our page at it's origin was 90% industry people. Small companies,one man shows,ect. Advertising is allowed. It was geared at people in the industry. Over time it grew into much more. Personally I liked it much better when it was small.

Negativity is very appealing. Nasty arguments,personal insults,anything people argue over,everyone flocks to that. Everybody loves a train wreck. Notice most of the quotes are negative. The happy customer's,not so much. At this point in my life,I have no use for it. Reviews are a funny thing. You really need to consider what would motivate someone to take the time to write one.lets say a restaurant,if you have a bad meal or bad service besides a bad tip,what can you do? Write a bad review. (Pound of flesh mentality) now let's say you have a great meal and the best service of your life. How many will take the time to sit down and write a positive review? So all you see is the bad. Think about it. That's why Ialway think about the motivation when reading reviews and particularly the negative ones.

Yup I agree and do them same when reading reviews.  But with reviews everything can't always be great 100% of the time, that's just not reality.  There has to be enough flexibility for people to express negative reviews as well.  And with that comes the extreme reviews that are more or less throw away comments.  I'd prefer read both sides even if it opens for the door for the completely obnoxious review.  Most can decipher when a review is obviously biased and know to disregard it.  Like in the above mentioned ODM Bag thread.  Those with the extreme negative bias in the review look like fools.   And that's fine, let em look like fools.  Give em enough rope and they will hang themselves.  Especially those that represent the competitors product. Tell me what's good about your product because if you waste my time bashing your competitor and not informing me on why your product is better than you just lost me entirely.  

Negativity is very appealing. Nasty arguments,personal insults,anything people argue over,everyone flocks to that. Everybody loves a train wreck. Notice most of the quotes are negative. The happy customer's,not so much. At this point in my life,I have no use for it. Reviews are a funny thing. You really need to consider what would motivate someone to take the time to write one.lets say a restaurant,if you have a bad meal or bad service besides a bad tip,what can you do? Write a bad review. (Pound of flesh mentality) now let's say you have a great meal and the best service of your life. How many will take the time to sit down and write a positive review? So all you see is the bad. Think about it. That's why Ialway think about the motivation when reading reviews and particularly the negative ones.

I complement/review good service when I get it.

And when someone like Rich lies and doesn't deliver like he says, and really pisses me off, I will write about it if I feel like it.

He makes a great rod and his customer service is terrible/intolerable at times.

You seem to look down at us who have been treated like $hit from him?

What gives?

Are you and Rich so awesome you can treat people with no respect?

The rod arrived at the house yesterday and as luck would have it, I am presently away on business... So I'll post my initial thoughts (build quality) when I get back on Friday and unpack it. Pretty excited to hopefully find some time this weekend to play around with it at the local H.S. field. I already know that it is a great rod from what I have heard and the many reviews. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I complement/review good service when I get it.

And when someone like Rich lies and doesn't deliver like he says, and really pisses me off, I will write about it if I feel like it.

He makes a great rod and his customer service is terrible/intolerable at times.

You seem to look down at us who have been treated like $hit from him?

What gives?

Are you and Rich so awesome you can treat people with no respect?

youI have spoke in general terms and said that things aren't perfect. I have not spoke down to anyone. I answered some questions and helped guys resolve problems. If you feel you have been talked down to and disrespected, that's on you. The very reason I Don't agree with putting a company on blast is there is no way to respond without coming off as unconserned unless I just agree and apologize. What I actually did do is explain ,answer some messages and help a couple of guys. Edited by johnnycakes

Posted (edited) · Report post

it's def true..People also like jumping on the negativity bandwagon so to speak. Edited by IslandSurf

I will tell you a side of Rich that I'm sure that I am not the only one that had such an experienced.

Purchased a CTS VT from him, had some delays in getting it, got it and love it.

I wanted a lighter setup talked to Rich and we decided on a S8 1160-2 1-3 oz. There were some delays,so we decided that it would be done for a certain show, and I would pick it up there. Went to the show, met Rich for the first time in person. He said the blank was in but he did not have time to finish it, but he would finish it that coming

week and ship it out. I had cash to pay him the balance, he obviously seems ok to me, so I paid him the remainder due on the rod in cash. Time goes on no rod, "I got the wrong blank" "the factory is having manufacturing problems" etc. Finally I wanted out, for I am exhausted as others have noted, I get my money back and a promise that when the blank comes in, he will make it and ship it to me for free.

About a year later, I send a response to the email asking if the blank ever came it. I get an email back saying he has the blank and I should resend him the specs again. About a month later the rod is delivered, no strings attached. I now have two sensational rods he has made for me

I'm sure there are others out there that have similar stories of Rich trying to repay one for a prior problem. I just thought all sides of Rich should be known.

Okay - got home and said hello to my lab (gotta do that - only one that misses me!) and unpacked the rod - beautiful. No imperfections, quality built rod, feels great and looks great. Much, much lighter than I had imagined especially compared to my previous older rods. The new VS VR125 matches up nicely with the rod. I bought a 500 yd spool of Spectrum 20lb red braid for the reel - holds approx 400 yds. I plan on using only braid with no mono backing. Going to use the quadruple knot trick to prevent slipping on the spool. Depending on the weather up here this weekend (snow!! possible Sunday evening???) I plan on throwing a 4oz weight to see how badly I cast. Hopefully, I'll get it down and pass the 100 yard test before I hit the Jersey beaches in a couple weeks and catch nothing there as usual. If it wasn't for Pete & Elda's Pizzeria in Neptune, I would probably just give up on surf fishing altogether. Been going there since 84 or so and nothing has changed, pizza is still second to none. Crusty regulars around the bar. So RH Customs shipped out my order immediately and provided me with a very nice, albeit off the shelf custom rod. It's what I ordered and I am happy. RH did alright by me. 

Rich built a great VT for me-fished hard for a couple years, the top section broke on a fish and Rich replaced it no questions asked. He also hooked me up with some incredible plugs at about half of the going rate. Sweetheart of a guy, seems like he was having some health problems a while back that may have complicated business, hope he's well now.

I have a few rods built by rh, all of my transactions have been awesome. The rods and components are top notch and built the way I wanted them.Great guy, great product I would not hesitate for a second to order another