robc22

Mass Gardening thread

Rate this topic

595 posts in this topic

Passed by a field of Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon today, and they have a 20 foot wide by ? long (let's just say pretty long) bed of rows with plastic over the hills, I guess what are to be spring onions poking out of them, about 4" high. They may have been planted last fall as that part of the field was straw covered up until a few days ago.

About all I have seen there, at least from what iI can see from the road, but just to give folks an idea of timing.

I haven't done crap yet outside, but need to at least get the spinach in as soon as we get a dry day. Have Pep, Eggplant and a bunch of various greens as seedlings under lights, some of which have had there first transplant to larger containers.

I need s string of dry days though to get outside, as just as it dries out, it turns to a mud puddle again............

I started raising Red Wigglers last month, Composting worms. I bought  3000 of them,to get started. They make the best organic fertilizer for the garden. Also I am making Hot compost for the garden.

16 mins ago, Bourne Bill said:

I started raising Red Wigglers last month, Composting worms. I bought  3000 of them,to get started. They make the best organic fertilizer for the garden. Also I am making Hot compost for the garden.

Great trout bait. Put out a sign "worms 4 sale".

This is the first year that we’re starting from seed.  My in-laws gave us their old grow tent, and everything seems happy so far.  I have to turn over the beds next weekend and put some lettuce in the ground and then beans and peas. 

I’m debating about starting the zucchini and cucumbers inside or outside- any thoughts?  

0D11898E-3D2A-43DB-A6A2-C1BBAD994173.jpeg

7A3CAB44-B0D1-475D-8706-1D933C53C75F.jpeg

4EE736A5-2269-471E-8330-FD322CF49E65.jpeg

There are others here more experienced but I have found cucumbers start fairly easily outside germinate quickly and don't like to be transplanted.

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I’m debating about starting the zucchini and cucumbers inside or outside- any thoughts

You can do either but it is way to0 early to do either. One thing is that the gourd family (cucs, squash, melons and gourds) do not like their roots to be disturbed, so if you do sat indoor, only put a 2-3 seeds in each cell or container, and then when it comes time to plant, try to pop them out as gently as possible and right into a pre-dug hole, as if they were never moved.

Indoors, plan on about sowing 4 weeks before outdoor planting, which in most parts of Mass is until near Memorial Day.  If the weather is warm enough, you can direct seed about mid May, so it is a toss up whether to start indoors or out. Usually, I do some of each, alternating the spacing between seedlings and seed, especially with cucs, as this gives you sort of a succession planting..

Cool thanks guys.  I’ll start them in a couple weeks indoors and save a few seeds for out doors.

I turned the beds and manure over today after work- time for lettuce and beans/peas this weekend.

i love spring!