robc22

Mass Gardening thread

Rate this topic

600 posts in this topic

I know it's a fishing site but heck we talk bird feeders, Mountain lions and Boston serial killers.......I figure a lil garden talk won't hurt. My first asparagus of the year is poking it's lovely nose up. How r ur gardens coming along? 

post-23031-0-28393000-1492379232.jpg

We're building another raised bed. Home Depot sells these concrete raised bed kits that are cheap and effective. Already have some tomatoes growing in fabric tents. SIM aka Steve in Mass just received the Burpee mountain magic (campari) seeds I sent him. He generously offered to start them for me. Thank you SIM.

We're building another raised bed. Home Depot sells these concrete raised bed kits that are cheap and effective. Already have some tomatoes growing in fabric tents. SIM aka Steve in Mass just received the Burpee mountain magic (campari) seeds I sent him. He generously offered to start them for me. Thank you SIM.

I'm a big lover of raised beds but they r a lot of work!......

post-23031-0-84413800-1492380733.jpg

Peppers and eggplant were sown indoors a month and a half ago already. Are about 2 inches high and are in need of being moved from the seed starting flats to 6 packs. Basil seedlings about an inch tall with two sets of leaves. Various lettuce and Asian greens have been moved from community seed starting flats to 6-packs, and as of yesterday went outside in a shaded location to start to harden off.

Tomatoes I sowed about 10 days ago are two inches tall.....Bob's Magic Mountains were sowed just the other day and should sprout any time now, haven't checked them yet this am.

Outside, spinach and radish was direct seeded last week along with cilantro, and snow and snap peas seeded about 5 days ago. Normally that is done just after St, Patrick's Day, but the weather this year didn't co-op. The bed for the onions and the bed for the cabbage has been turned. The onion sets I hope to get in today. Cabbage will go in when I can get some seedlings, as the ones I sowed this year didn't do so well (old seed)....have about 4 plants, but they are still quite small, will just by a six pack each of green and red cabbage.

Chives are up and about 4" tall. Sorrel (sour grass) is also up and starting to get decent sized leaves.

After that, direct seeding of more salad greens, carrots, and parsnips. And then when that is done, the potatoes and the leeks.

By then, it will be time to move onto the warm weather crops....bean, squash, cucs, transplant the peppers, eggplant and tomatoes.

After that, direct seeding of more salad greens, carrots, and parsnips. And then when that is done, the potatoes and the leeks.

Do u have much problems with the potato beetle? They r a real bugger for me.....I think I'm gonna skip growing potato's this year. 

Not usually. Some years the Japanese beetles get to the foliage, but no always. The foliage usually starts to die back by the time it would become an issue, anyway.

Scab used to be a problem until I found out that you should never use lime in the potato plot.

If they are an issue, should be easy enough to cover them with Remay fabric, especially in the barrel method I use to grow potatoes.

Remay:

post-10145-0-74622100-1492424290.jpg

As to growing in barrels, get a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut off the top lid and the bottom. The take the remaining cylinder and cut that in half.

Place those over the spot to grow the potatoes, and plant the tubers inside of them in the ground. As the potato greens grow, add soil/compost/straw to the barrels (this is like hilling) over the course of the season. At harvest time, pull the barrel tubes straight up, and many of the potatoes will fall right out, the other will be easy to dig.

post-10145-0-86689200-1492424664.jpg

post-10145-0-50175900-1492424665.jpg

Great info SIM....We cannot use the white fabric in our community garden right now. A departing gardener last year did not clean up after himself and left similar fabric to blow around the garden. It ticked the conservation people off and they forbade us from using said fabric. We are trying 2 change their minds.....1 bad egg and all that........