fishfood

Fish ID

44 posts in this topic

Looks like a creek chub in spawning dress. Note the bumps know as tubercles on its head. Male chubs use them in ritualized mating combat to drive other males away from the spawning beds.

Edited by Jay Blair

Looks like a creek chub in spawning dress. Note the bumps know as tubercles on its head. Male chubs use them in ritualized mating combat to drive other males away from the spawning beds.

i don't think so Jay. too broad for a creek chub. also, shiners get the little horns on their heads when its time to spawn also. 

couple pics for reference:

creek chub ready to spawn

post-489-0-62117900-1492518326.jpg

shiner ready to spawn:

post-489-0-05286100-1492518421.jpg

Brian, There are a lot of species of Creek Chubs with a wide range of morphologies and both of your photos clearly show the tubercles. They are great pics by the way. Chubs also have larger scales and subterminal mouths.

I think your first photo is a male Fall Fish in spawning dress and is a larger relative of the chub.

Both Fall Fish and Chubs are indigenous to the Susquehanna River Basin.

I have never seen those growths on shiners. Shiners also have a much smaller heads in relation to their body size and are more laterally compressed.

Shiner minnow:

ShinerMinnow_1302-4.jpg

Fall Fish:

chub-fly-fishing-image-of-chub-shared-by

Edited by Jay Blair

I've caught shiners that big, but they kept their much pointier snouts and smaller scales, nothing like the one pictured. The ones I caught looked just like what Jay Blair posted, even up to 10" long. sometimes a little more gold, but still same shape and scales.

Different species?

Fall fish are not generally considered good eating because they are very bony, but I have heard of some folks smoking them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqsWDC5q_Y_WQtfPtdguF

gold shiner:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNh5nvdQfbmHdKt7Cfh-H

Edited by Jay Blair

Brian is correct. The fish is a common shiner. The baitfish often called the common shiner is properly the golden shiner. Common shiner is a term used for two species, but the actual common shiner is in the original picture.

Edit, I thought Brian was wrong at first, too.

Edited by Sweetwater

There are sliver shiners, gold shiners, spot tail shiners, rosyface shiners, emerald shiners, and a commercially developed shiner known as blue shiners to name a few.

There are no shiners I know of with Tubercles. It is a chub and sucker family characteristic.

If you all want to call chubs shiners then go ahead. Some folks refer to chubs are common shiners, but they are still a member of the chub family due to their undershot jaws, larger heads and scales, and the tubercles that the males develop.

Fat head minnows also develop Tubercles on their lower jaw, but they are not shiners.

They are all members of the minnow family Cyprinidae and they all make good bait.

Edited by Jay Blair