Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smilin' Bill

How much Mono Backing???

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone,

How can I determine how much mono backing to use when spooling up with the Super lines, without using the two spool method?

I got 150yds. of 30# Power Pro, and will be using 20# Ande mono as the backing. I will be putting it on a spool that is capable of holding 250yds. of 20# mono.

As usual, thanx in advance for the good advice biggrin.gif

I use Power Pro and like Ande, but you may want to match the test of the mono and Power Pro.

The Package recommends matching diameters but after being a 2x victim of breakoffs I started matching tests and so far, so good.

------------------

SurfPirate Charters.

Reasonably Reliable, Moderately Delusional.

Over 90%* of our Clients make it back to the dock (sooner or later).

* Based on trips booked in 1999, past performance is not a guarantee of future successful trips.

No backing, load for bear, come prepared for the fish of your lifetime every outing, there won't be a second chance. Bob C.

------------------

OVER THE EDGE

Yup! You guys hit the nail right on the head. I should match strength of the mono to the braid and take the extra time to get it right.

Youre right Bob. My next trip could be "it".

Thanx biggrin.gif

You don't need two spools are some formula to estimate the right amount of backer for briad.

Load on the amount of braid you want to use--at least 150 yards. Fill the spool with backer until the spool is properly filled. Then stretch out the line between some stakes in your yard or on the beach and respool from the opposite end.