DIY Home Network Panel / Media Cabinet

Rate this topic

HansB

DIY Home Network Panel / Media Cabinet

Got tired of going into the attic, running wire from one location to another behind furniture, so when we recently had some remodeling done, I spent a few nights and weekends running some Cat-6 and RG6 coaxial cable from throughout the house into one of the bedrooms to create a structured media cabinet/network panel.

I’m using a Leviton 30” high RF Transparent Structured Media Enclosure that is made out of ABS polymer and wireless signals can transmit from inside the cabinet vs metal cabinets which block those signals.

I ran two Cat-6 cables and 2 coaxial cables to each location in the house that I was able to reach in my two story house, took some creative wire runs and a lot of drilling.  I bundled the cables and fastened the cable bundles in the attic using zip strips and romex staples.

I installed two AC receptacles in the cabinet for power and installed a fan to keep things cool.  

Funny how all my buddies were out “fishing” when I asked them to come over and help me terminate all the network and coax wallplate connectors in all the rooms.  The right tools to cut/strip the Cat-6 and a Klein punch down tool helped once I got the hang of it.  I used the Data Shark Universal  Cutter Wire Stripper for the Cat-6.  A friend loaned me his Klein 2-Level Coaxial Cable Stripper for the RG6.  The Klein Compression Crimper was great for the RG6 to install the compression type F connectors.  I bought all the network connectors and wall plates and modular connectors to make custom wall plates from Monoprice.

Hardest part was

1) Actually fitting the cabinet as it is meant to fit between  16” on center studs as the location I chose had them 15.5” apart 

2) Tweaking my neck and back getting into some weird positions on my stomach in the attic in cramped quarters to drill through a couple of headers.   

Lev 1_zpsdzlsm2l8.jpg

Compression Crimper_zpsjs4sh044.jpg

Edited by HansB
Uploaded pics

Great job Hans.

Don't quite understand the whole smart house wire thing other than things can be controlled more easier through wifi. Are there more components that's not in the picture and how much did this DIY project cost?

Great job Hans.

Don't quite understand the whole smart house wire thing other than things can be controlled more easier through wifi. Are there more components that's not in the picture and how much did this DIY project cost?

Ramsey, the purpose of this type of enclosure is that it  can provide a single location for managing

1) AV wiring and components (Satellite TV, Cable TV, speaker connections)

2) Home network wiring and components ( Router, Wireless router, Network switches)

Some do strictly a AV cabinet for media or one just as a network cabinet.  I did this one as both a Network and Media cabinet.

The enclosure provides a lot of flexibility in managing these connections through your home and allows for a neat and organized wiring scheme.

I can make any network jack in any room “live” by moving or adding one connection inside the enclosure.    

I can change my DirecTV satellite feed from one room to another within the enclosure versus going in my attic and changing connections at a splitter.

Is it really necessary?    Typically once you set up your network and TV setup, you might not have to change any connections for years.   I’m a stickler for running wires inside a wall and hiding wire whenever possible so even before I added the enclosure my wiring was always neat.    The enclosure just gives me more flexibility down the road if I choose to make a change.

Good for resale value?  Absolutely

Total cost was approx. $400 to 500 including the Leviton enclosure, modules for mounting components and wiring switches, coaxial and Cat 6 wire, hardware for electrical, surge protector, fan and custom wall plates.