Hummingbirds

Rate this topic

burkie

I went on the hummingbird migration map and they are in the area, so you might put a feeder out

LIFE MEMBER OF THE , BRUINS, SOX, PATS, B-WARE HATERS CLUB... LIFE MEMBER OF THE CANADIENS, YANKEES, GIANTS...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Here in upstate NY I put mine out about a week into May every year.  They are there a day or so later (or maybe they are there earlier and I just didn't know it).

I use two feeders but put one in front of the house and one in back, that way they don't fight quite so much.  Occasionally two will tolerate each other on one feeder but more often its a chase, sometimes involving 3 birds.

Beautiful tiny birds. We'll see them here when the Catbirds arrive.

Picked up two red feeders for .20 at yard sale last year.

We feed pretty much anything here close to downtown.

All sorts of birds

Chippies

Squirrels

Rabbits

Possums

Skunks

Raccoons

Whatever

We enjoy

(*member formerly known as 'Skitterpop')

I'm putting one out later when I get home, I mixed and boiled the nectar and it is cooling in the fridge. Never had luck with a previous feeder but have seen a few in the garden next door, so I'm moving it to a better location.

Edited by John O'
"ALL THE BEST!"

I've been feeding hbirds for a few years. The territorial fighting drives me crazy. I put out 5 feeders last year with the idea more feeders would attract more birds and eliminate the disputes. Completely wrong. The same female staked out her turf and jealously guarded those feeders until early Oct. When I went out to fill feeders she'd often buzz inches from my face and hands.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I've been feeding hbirds for a few years. The territorial fighting drives me crazy. I put out 5 feeders last year with the idea more feeders would attract more birds and eliminate the disputes. Completely wrong. The same female staked out her turf and jealously guarded those feeders until early Oct. When I went out to fill feeders she'd often buzz inches from my face and hands.

Side note on aggressive birds ..... a Partridge buzzed me 3 times today, must have setup shop for the ladies close by.

Came within a few feet.... :laugh:

I'm mixing some Koolaid for the kids right now. I swear I saw one of those Catbirds a couple of days ago on one of my feeders.  I'll post as soon as I see one.  Love those little jet fighters.   

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

I just use plain sugar (1 part) and water (4 parts), and add a couple of drops of red food coloring.  I don't boil it, but keep it in a 2 liter soda bottle in the fridge.  Enough for about two weeks at my place.

IMO, the flat disc type feeders are the best, even though they need to be filled every 3rd or 4th day. 

I get to fish a couple weeks every summer on the Vineyard, and I am amazed at how many catbirds are there.  They love raisins, BTW.

Edited by buz23

Where are guys on putting dye in their mix for these birds.  I've read that it's not good, so I don't do it.  I've been fortunate to have multiple birds from spring until late Sept.-early October here in Bristol County so I don't add any dye.   We use a lot of feeders that have the color red but definitely not using dyes.   What do you guys use?

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato