22 hours ago, torotoro said:

When making a strop board, would it be better to use untanned leather? Can red Tripoli or white diamond compound be used? Thanks, great vids!

I inherited my strop board, I’ve never used Tripoli but I do use white diamond on mine. It works fine, but it works well without the compound as well. I also have an old barber chair razor strop and use it with no compound, it will knock the burr off of kitchen knives nicely.

On 12/31/2017 at 7:15 AM, iceberg57 said:

I inherited my strop board, I’ve never used Tripoli but I do use white diamond on mine. It works fine, but it works well without the compound as well. I also have an old barber chair razor strop and use it with no compound, it will knock the burr off of kitchen knives nicely.

just make sure that old barber chair razor strop is flat on a board and not hanging when you use it. Otherwise, the leather will wrap around the blade and also be dulling it while it is knocking off the burrs 

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

just make sure that old barber chair razor strop is flat on a board and not hanging when you use it. Otherwise, the leather will wrap around the blade and also be dulling it while it is knocking off the burrs 

Very true Eric. I learned years ago to keep it as taught as possible (hanging) and the trick is to keep the blade flat on the strop and any droop makes up for the desired angle. I can shave with any of my kitchen cutlery and they retain the edge well with stealing and stroping. I have one Japanese knife that only sees the strop and hasn’t seen a stone since I’ve had it for 3years. Falls right through veggies in prep 

I watched your videos when you first posted this thread and I finally got around to sharpening a few of my knives. I have the Wustoff classic ikon line and I love them, but boy did they get dull after 5 years of abuse. All I can say is wow! So far I've only done my chefs and carving knife but they're like they were when they were new, maybe even better! Thanks so much flannel guy! :th:

44 mins ago, chitala383 said:

I watched your videos when you first posted this thread and I finally got around to sharpening a few of my knives. I have the Wustoff classic ikon line and I love them, but boy did they get dull after 5 years of abuse. All I can say is wow! So far I've only done my chefs and carving knife but they're like they were when they were new, maybe even better! Thanks so much flannel guy! :th:

So glad the method/process is working out for you. So, we have been going through a kitchen remodel and things have not been normal around here. My sharpening stones were put away in storage with a lot of other things that we did not need every day. So, a couple of the knives that we DO use daily no longer had their usual sharp edge. Probably extremely sharp to most but when you are used to what sharp really is you can tell the difference. So... on Monday I got the 8000 grit stone and the strop block out. Touched up a couple of knives and they are back to perfect again. 

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

9 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I feel like I have a hard time maintaining a 15° angle throughout the draw of the knife. like sometimes I wobble a little bit, especially when I get towards the tip. Any tips on maintaining the correct angle? Or is it just practice?

wobble? less coffee? LOL !!   well I have no advice on how you keep a steady hand. The only thing I will say is a sharper angle (less than 15) is better than going in the other direction. If you hit 20+ degrees on a blade that you are fine tuning then you may need to start from the beginning. I think in one of the videos I mentioned taking a sharpie and making a black line along the edge. Then, you can see exactly what and where you are taking off with each pass. 

** Do not use one of those things that you slip on the blade your blade to maintain the angle.

12 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I don't think coffee is the problem, maybe less beer. Haha. I don't necessarily mean wobbling back and forth, I mean I feel like I don't keep the angle right towards the end. IDK, I guess the more I do it the easier it'll get.

I have always had a feel for it. When I was 17 I had a job at a ski shop sharpening skis and also repairing the bottoms. The ski edge sharpening required the use of a huge belt sander and you had to get the right angle on that. Then, repairing the bottoms required the use of a razor blade held at a particular angle to scrape off the excess p-tex. Finally, good friends of ours had a commercial knife sharpening business. They sharpened the restaurant knives and blades for the deli slicing machines. I would hang with them in their shop and learn about sharpening. Those guys would be ripping through the knives. Sharpening so fast.... amazing. 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:10 PM, chitala383 said:

How often would you say you maintain your knives with the strop block? After or before every use, once a week? Now that my knives are razor sharp (literally, I was able to shave the hair off my arm with them) I want to keep them that way.

It really depends upon how much we use them. Maybe once per month

In the videos you will that diamond hone block. I use that for knives that are really dull or rough. Also knives that have serious damage to the blade. My sister in law had a knife that had so many chunks taken out that it looked like it had teeth. I used it on the 200 grit portion of that diamond hone block for about 20 min taking off a lot of metal. Then moved onto the other sides and eventually getting to the whetstone, strop, etc.  So, if you have the right tools and some time you can fix most knives.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:15 PM, EricJ said:

Dena, I have found to have more control over the angle when pulling the blade towards me. I absolutely have done it both ways. In fact, Mino Tsuchida of the Global Knife company will push and pull the knife back and forth. I do that when I need to remove a lot of material and on a course stone.

I got a cool guy knife in Kyoto years ago, and that is the way the guys in the shop insisted I do it-back and forth.  And I have tried it with the Aritsugu, the German knives, the other Japanese kinves, almost everything, and Istill get better results with the single stroke-edge forward.  I think it comes down to me.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Any tips on sharpening a knife with a curved heel? My fillet and boning knives both have a curved heel and I can't seem to get that curve as sharp as the rest of the blade. It's not as important with the fillet knife, but with the boning knife I use the curved part to hug a rib bone nice and tight. Also, the stone I have has 1000 and 6000 grit. Would it be worth it to pick up another stone with 8 or 10000 grit?