Millrtme

Plugs on the bay?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have been fishing the bay most of my life but just recently started acquiring "some" RM Smith plugs. I love the craftsmanship exhibited but also plan to fish them. I think I have done a good job of covering all different depths with varying sizes as well. I have been staying below 3oz with my biggest being a 2-hook Danny. I am excited to get fishing with them but was curious if other guys fish custom plugs on the bay. The general consensus is that most people fishing these are up north on the beaches of the Atlantic and Long Island. I look forward to some responses.

-Andrew

I have a house on the Patuxent, the only place I would fish plugs is in and around rips or structure, most of the big boys are on trolling rigs and planers which I never really wanted to get into.  If you have access to a boat throwing them to diving birds worked for me in the past, but mostly with Rapala's and the eponymous schoolbus yellow plug.  Where do you fish mostly?

Thanks for the input.  I fish the eastern and western shores around the bay bridge. Also some of the rivers on the western side.  I have a couple flats and rock piles that are close to my house that are reachable from shore.  I have always had luck with poppers, chartreuse rapalas, kastmasters and stumpjumper bucktails.  I do not currently have a boat and bait/bottom fishing doesn't excite me too much unless I am with my daughter.  Is Schoolbus/chicken scratch a good color for Stripers?  I have always leaned toward chartreuse and olive shades, depending on the conditions and clarity of the water.

-Andrew

Edited by Millrtme

Yeah buddy. Ryan's stuff is good wood. I use his peanuts, doorstop poppers, and 2oz metal lip swimmers in the upper bay. I fish an assortment of plastics/rubbers like BKDs and Mirrorlures but something about throwing real wood.

Good luck to you and let us know how you fair.

Edited by AtTheBar

Wanted to revive this thread because I just moved back home to Northern VA and I make wood plugs. I have been back for over a year but I've been going back up north to fish the surf. I'm really looking for spots to through some plugs and I think my best bet is to hit the DC part of the potomac this fall/winter. I'll keep at it though and update you guys. It would be great to make a trip out to a section of the bay and throw my metal lip swimmers out and catch something!

I fish Neal Cohen's poppers regularly. I met him at the Solomons Show around the end of March and started my clients into throwing them. They are generally similar in appearance to custom wood poppers seen along the Jersey Shore.But, they have a unique design and action.

This past Spring his larger custom popper, green over chartreuse, a color and size larger than I would have normally chosen for use in Chesapeake Bay & tribs, was "The" plug for the bigger stripers in the rivers. I only had one of that particular size and color. The clients were taking turns with that one rod, casting long, and provoking huge blow-ups when my other offerings were not producing.

Since that introduction to his plugs, I have provided Neal Cohen poppers to my clients for regular summertime guideboat service. I downsized slightly and then target larger fish by popping at sunset and into the darkness at special structure places. On average, this methodology, yields fish up to 50% bigger than the average daytime fish, Right now, we are targeting 30" fish. Capt Brady Bounds

10 hours ago, Capt Brady said:

I fish Neal Cohen's poppers regularly. I met him at the Solomons Show around the end of March and started my clients into throwing them. They are generally similar in appearance to custom wood poppers seen along the Jersey Shore.But, they have a unique design and action.

This past Spring his larger custom popper, green over chartreuse, a color and size larger than I would have normally chosen for use in Chesapeake Bay & tribs, was "The" plug for the bigger stripers in the rivers. I only had one of that particular size and color. The clients were taking turns with that one rod, casting long, and provoking huge blow-ups when my other offerings were not producing.

Since that introduction to his plugs, I have provided Neal Cohen poppers to my clients for regular summertime guideboat service. I downsized slightly and then target larger fish by popping at sunset and into the darkness at special structure places. On average, this methodology, yields fish up to 50% bigger than the average daytime fish, Right now, we are targeting 30" fish. Capt Brady Bounds

That's amazing. I definitely want to try my metal lip swimmers, bottle plugs, and pencil poppers out there. I would love to get mroe info on your charters as well Capt Brady! Maybe give you a few of my wooden lures to toss out there!

I used an RM popper and peanut waverer this past Sunday.  I had a couple swipes at the popper but caught a 24"-er on the peanut waverer.  I'm hoping to try some metal lips soon and very excited for the fall run.

IMG_5279.JPG

Actually also another good plug I've used is a small yozuri mag minnow. Brown back with holo sides I forget the official color but two falls ago got a 36" at one of our spots mid bay on it and a few others. Big Stillwater smack it's too. I know they aren't wood but they are good and I use them the most

On 8/12/2017 at 11:12 PM, linesiderdemdnj said:

Actually also another good plug I've used is a small yozuri mag minnow. Brown back with holo sides I forget the official color but two falls ago got a 36" at one of our spots mid bay on it and a few others. Big Stillwater smack it's too. I know they aren't wood but they are good and I use them the most

Holo Bronze Shiner perhaps.  I use the same on 1oz Mag Darter (really more of a swimmer than a darter).  Chartreuse for stained water.

Yep that's the one. Caught fish in other places with it too so I have some confidence in it. The bigger size got me a good one in early spring. After the first phase of early spring that is. Lol

I've been making a bunch to try out this fall and spring. Either on the kayak or from shore. Just gotta find the time since I live in Northern VA.

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

6 hours ago, lonellr said:

I've been making a bunch to try out this fall and spring. Either on the kayak or from shore. Just gotta find the time since I live in Northern VA.

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

keep up the good job Lonell, great plugs