Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Feedback on the lefty Caiman reels

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I know it's early still..but any of you folks who purchased the lefty Caiman here got anything good/bad/indifferent to say about 'em? I think they are the sweetest left handed conventional of that size I've seen - but then again, I don't fish with left handed conventionalssmile.gif

TimS

I've yet to fish with mine, but have cast it about 30 times.

The good:

Fit & finish is as good or better than any of the other reels I currently own.

It's new so it should feel smooth, but I'd say it's as smooth as the Scorpion I own (My smoothest reel). But only time will tell if the reel stays this smooth.

I'm really diggin the way you access the reels innards too, remove 1 thumbscrew & yer in smile.gif.

Holds a full 300 yards of 50# Whiplash with about 20 yards of 12# mono backing.

Looks good.

It's physically bigger than a Abu 6500 series reel & a Calcutta 400. But only slightly bigger.

It's comfy to palm smile.gif.

The Bad:

Can't figger out how to remove the bearings from the shaft confused.gif. Getting the old oil out can be done without removing them, but I'd prefer to be able to remove them.

The reel is noisy during the cast, C3 noisy. I was expecting sumthin a bit more like a Millionaire in the sound category.

For the $ I'd say icon14.gificon14.gif so far.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Hey Tim,

Do you think this reel can stand up to the Highlands bridge or do I stick with the Abu C3???

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

EdJ, I noticed the same thing with the bearings...I like to be able to remove them from the shaft, too. This isn't the only reel that yah can't though, I think the Penn 9X5 series is the same way. I'm gonna see if there's a "way" to get 'em off safely...I'll experiment on my "volunteer" CM150 - it's been disected for science - I like to know everything about the internals of the reels I fish with - it's in many, many pieces nowicon25.gif Yes, noticed the same thing with the "noise" - it's C3 noisy - but they cast extremely well, way above average - and they are Calcutta smooth on the retrieve - it almost doesn't make sense why they make noise casting? I'm gonna have to investigate.

Hagar, I'm almost outta my 2nd load now and was just trying to decide how many I should go fer on delivery #3 - it sounds like I shouldsmile.gif So yes, I have a few left now and will be adding another bunch later in the week icon14.gif

TimS

These reels are substantially smaller than a 7000 Abu. I do have some 7500C3 Abu reels - that's a 7000C3 but with faster gears smile.gif A comparable TiCA to the 7000C3 would be the Gemini - it's a little smaller than a Calcutta 700.

TimS