troutman561

St. Croix Mojo jigging rods: Anyone try them out yet?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

So I have been going back and forth on my next jigging rod to pair with my Daiwa BG 4000 for snapper in the gulf. I have had a Trevala MH spin for a couple of years and love it. With Shimano changing their warranty coverage I was searching elsewhere for my next rod. I have Okuma Cedros conventional jig rods and while they are beautiful (to me at least), they are a bit heavier than I'd like for the Daiwa. I came across the Mojo Jig rods and saw the MH 6'6 only weighs 8oz. That's half of what the Okuma weighs. I ordered it already (due Friday) and am looking forward to a setup that only weighs 22oz. My questions is has anyone used them yet? I could not find anything review wise online. I know it is backwards to ask for reviews after buying but hey, figured I would ask so I know what to expect if it sucks.

A capt I fish with was field testing a new jigging blank from them last year...I wonder if this is the same thing now hitting the market. From what I remember, it had a ton of lifting power, but wasn't particularly limber or parabolic in nature....again, I don't know if this is the same blank...in fact, I doubt it, given the specs of the Mojo...but it definitely felt like a quality piece.

Well, got the rod today. First impression is that the Mojo jigging is a good quality rod I would expect from St. Croix. I got the 6'6 MH spin rod and I am comparing it to the Trevala of the same size and specs. When bending both by hand, the Mojo is noticeably more stiff. Not a crazy amount but definitely more so. It is also a little thicker than the Trevala as well. The grip above the reel is slightly thicker and about 3 inches longer which I personally like for it's intended purpose (for me at least). I weighed both rods and the Shimano came out at 8.3oz and the Mojo at 8.7oz. This is .7oz more than the specs on their site. Not a huge deal but it is a difference. Still impressive given that it is a little thicker and has more grip material than the Shimano. Time will tell on how it lasts but given how it feels in hand I do not doubt it will serve me well.

post-72256-0-49924700-1490917830.jpg

post-72256-0-42103400-1490917831.jpg

post-72256-0-05858700-1490917832.jpg

So I have been going back and forth on my next jigging rod to pair with my Daiwa BG 4000 for snapper in the gulf. I have had a Trevala MH spin for a couple of years and love it. With Shimano changing their warranty coverage I was searching elsewhere for my next rod. I have Okuma Cedros conventional jig rods and while they are beautiful (to me at least), they are a bit heavier than I'd like for the Daiwa. I came across the Mojo Jig rods and saw the MH 6'6 only weighs 8oz. That's half of what the Okuma weighs. I ordered it already (due Friday) and am looking forward to a setup that only weighs 22oz. My questions is has anyone used them yet? I could not find anything review wise online. I know it is backwards to ask for reviews after buying but hey, figured I would ask so I know what to expect if it sucks.

I know its only been a month or so since you got it but any updates? These rods feel great in hand but there's little feedback on them. What size jigs are you planning on using? 

I have not had a positive experience with St Croix. Lets see what others have to say.

Really? What are ur bad experiences? Not trying to be condesending, just asking. All ive had are positive experiences with my st croix rod, quality and customer service, i have rods that are 10 years old that are still as good as the day i bought them.

Really? What are ur bad experiences? Not trying to be condesending, just asking. All ive had are positive experiences with my st croix rod, quality and customer service, i have rods that are 10 years old that are still as good as the day i bought them.

I never broke a rod while fishing until I got a St Croix. Then, I broke a St Croix rod twice in 30 days. Simple hook sets on small fluke. Rod snapped both times in the same place. Their customer service was great and replaced it both times but I do not need to be dealing with that nonsense and wait a couple of weeks for a new rod to arrive. Much easier for me to just use some other quality rod.

** FYI... i was on the beach in Seaside Park last fall during a blitz. Walked past a guy whose St Croix rod tip was broken. He said it was on the cast... his very first cast with that new rod.

Others here have mentioned they broke lots of other rods and said they love St Croix. So, this is just one man's opinion. On the fish I did catch on the St Croix, it was fun. I think what we really need to figure out is what is the realistic incremental benefit of paying the cost of those high priced rods vs something more moderately priced. If you were blind and someone put a rod in your hand and sent you fishing.... would you even know the difference?

I never broke a rod while fishing until I got a St Croix. Then, I broke a St Croix rod twice in 30 days. Simple hook sets on small fluke. Rod snapped both times in the same place. Their customer service was great and replaced it both times but I do not need to be dealing with that nonsense and wait a couple of weeks for a new rod to arrive. Much easier for me to just use some other quality rod.

** FYI... i was on the beach in Seaside Park last fall during a blitz. Walked past a guy whose St Croix rod tip was broken. He said it was on the cast... his very first cast with that new rod.

Others here have mentioned they broke lots of other rods and said they love St Croix. So, this is just one man's opinion. On the fish I did catch on the St Croix, it was fun. I think what we really need to figure out is what is the realistic incremental benefit of paying the cost of those high priced rods vs something more moderately priced. If you were blind and someone put a rod in your hand and sent you fishing.... would you even know the difference?

To each their own, no right or wrong type of rod

Im pretty positive i would know the difference

To each their own, no right or wrong type of rod

Im pretty positive i would know the difference