Bigeye jigging setup...

Rate this topic

AdrianF

Looking to put togethor a setup for dropping jigs down to those big marks down deeper during the day..realizing that my usual inshore jigging setup isn't gonna cut it..seems like some guys are doing it with success.

Curious as to what people are using gear wise. Was thinking black hole 450g and a okuma andros 16...loaded with 100lb jb hollow. More in line with a NC bluefin setup since we're dealing with deep water and a fish that likes to take advantage of that deep water.Any thoughts?

re-ban quest

If there's one fish and one role for which Avet's three-speed reels make sense, this is it.  That being said, I haven't used those reels, and my tuna and jig experience is out of date.

Sweet reels....a lil heavy for jiggin though. Not quite sure 3 speeds is really needed....just as long as one of them is under 1.5:1 I think is sufficient. Really no need for a higher high. Maybe that would be more useful for.marlin and stuff that fights more on the surface instead of just running for the bottom.

Andros has a 1.3:1 low compared to 2.3:1 low of the talica. Kinda why I'm leaning that ways.

re-ban quest

I use a Spinal 450 and an LX 2 Speed Raptor for bigeye and small giant jiggin. I hate jiggin with a 30w or 50 w dont have the line capicity but if it can take more than 500 yds of Jerry Brown hollow at 30-35 lbs of drag it can swim

Would like to check out those spinals....most guys seem to love them.

re-ban quest

Black hole, united composite, jigging master, calstar are all rods we use.

might even have a old spinal blank around..

the talicia 25 are popular with guys who like lugs,

I have a JM PE7 and 8 looking for homes... 

I have a PE10 and talicia 25 getting ready for this year.

Tri-state-Custom Rodbuilders... NERBS

• 3 weeks later...

not trying to be confrontational but i'd love to see those pics.  happen to know well the two that got the two largest that i know of on spinning - both off the backside (cape cod) in october 2015 and we were out there too and managed an 84", 400b bft on a shimano terez w/ a VS200 w/ 300 yards of power pro braid, 130lb 5 yard flouro leader.

stella is an awesome reel - but just like the vs275/300, any big saragossa, or almost any capable sinning reel i know of, they could easily handle a 200-250b big eye, but they just don't have the line capacity.  typical bft fishing its often only 20-30 fath.

in 20-30 fath you have a fighting chance even if you are on to something big and need to get after it with the boat.  all bets are off once your line capacity survives the first big run.  with big eye is its typically 100 fath.  300 yards of line just aint gonna cut it.  hook up with your line already out 100 yards in 100 fath and you are spooled.  way too many directions you can't go to get any line back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can just keep this thread going (?). VS reels are great for tuna. Have got BFT up to 84"/400lb on VS300 w/300 yds of 80lb power pro knotted to 12' of 130lb flouro and a RonZ. Only a few reels we trust (mostly a drag and line capacity issue) to larger BFT including the VS 275 and 300 - also love the Stella and Saragosa. We also always use knots only for spinning and/or wind on. Not everyone we know does - some crimp to the lure. We sometimes live bait spinning too replacing lure w/ single black nickel circle hook and a mac or herring.

Can just keep this thread going (?). VS reels are great for tuna. Have got BFT up to 84"/400lb on VS300 w/300 yds of 80lb power pro knotted to 12' of 130lb flouro and a RonZ. Only a few reels we trust (mostly a drag and line capacity issue) to larger BFT including the VS 275 and 300 - also love the Stella and Saragosa. We also always use knots only for spinning and/or wind on. Not everyone we know does - some crimp to the lure. We sometimes live bait spinning too replacing lure w/ single black nickel circle hook and a mac or herring.

What's your connection from braid to mono? Knots? Seen a few options