Master Caster

Finger protection during casting

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Since the season is about to start I figured I would try to see what other guys are doing.  I use max quarto on my reels and have almost severely cut myself a few times.  No problem when using conventional gear but I plug with a spinning rig.  I don't like the finger glove and have tried a few different tapes.  It's to the point where I am hesitant to really load up the rod.  So far the best I have used was the white athletic tape.  I had a couple rolls that seemed ok but the last couple times I have ordered some, it had different qualities that made it useless.  It would get wet and lose all of its tackiness.  I have tried electrical tape but I have sliced through 7 layers already.  I purchased a roll of 3M durapore but haven't tried it yet.  Does anyone have any suggestion for a protective finger wrap, preferably tape?

Nexcare  Waterproof First Aid Tape works for me.

ill have to check it out  I always use the gamakstu casting glove I always grab 3-4 because I will burn through 1-2 a year

Thanks for the replies.  I will try the tape I have and report back.  I have never been a fan of the glove or finger pad.  I lose the sensitivity needed for long casting.

s-l500.jpg

Wow what in the world is that and how much thanks

Buy, install, and learn to use this^^^^^^^^^^. Your finger will thank you.

Just put a WTB ad in the BST. You should be able to get one for $15-$30. :)

I have one of those but never put it on my rod.  It is going to be my last resort.  I'm really hoping I can find a tape that works.  If I have to use the break away cannon, I want to figure a way to mount it that does not include zip ties.  So far I am thinking heat shrink tape.  Anybody have other mounting suggestions and if so can you show a picture of it?

I just used black electrical tape. Once you get used to the timing on the release you will not likely go back for tossing heavier weights with your finger. Then you will wonder why you didn't try it sooner. :)

Edited by bunnymoney

I have one of those but never put it on my rod. It is going to be my last resort. I'm really hoping I can find a tape that works. If I have to use the break away cannon, I want to figure a way to mount it that does not include zip ties. So far I am thinking heat shrink tape. Anybody have other mounting suggestions and if so can you show a picture of it?

I was looking them up I seen them installed with electrical tape

When I cast spinners with braid I do my best Michael Jackson impersonation and wear a glove on the hand holding the line. After the cast, the glove goes into my pocket. It is the same glove I keep on me for fish handling, one in each pocket.  I have yet to try the breakaway cannon, but for the price, it looks like a good solution.

It's way beyond a good solution. It makes it not necessary to crank the drag to max before the cast. Some individuals wrap the line around the capstan several times in order to leave the drag at a very modest setting.

try Johnson &Johnson's one inch white waterproof adhesive tape. very important to put it on when your finger is warm and DRY. Two wraps around and not too tight lasts me the whole night.

I've used leather gloves, both intact and with the last 3 fingers cut off. I like the feel of the leather on the spool, but it's all too bulky.

I haven't found a tape that feels the same. The gloves i use to handle fish are way too rubbery for braking the spool.

I was going to glue some leather pads on the finger and thumb of the rubber fish gloves, then I'd have both...

*edit*

Ah...I see now this is pretty much a conversation about spinners. And that device looks perfect for the job.

I was talking about conventional casting, but I suppose it could still apply.

Edited by granolaboy