Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug n Flyguy

When do you toss your epoxy

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Resin yellows over time. I'm setting up to finish a small batch and went through my stock. I have a two year old unused unopened box but part B is starting to yellow. Color is like lemonade not bourbon. So I ordered a new box. Toss it or use it.

I use the older stuff to seal the wood, the new stuff to topcoat the plug

Same here.

If it's at all yellowed, opened or brand new I use it for epoxy sealing only

New clear stuff for top coat

Same as above, but my last batch of etex is maybe 2 years old, and I haven't made as many plugs per season as I used to, so I had 2 half filled big bottles and ruined 2 batches of plugs before I finally broke down and bought new. The new stuff works the way it's supposed to, the older resin looks cloudy compared to the new stuff. Envirotex says that if the resin goes cloudy, to soak the bottle in warm water and it should clear up, I'll have to try that.

The problem I was having was after I brushed the stuff on, it would leave some areas and build up on other areas, leaving hills of piled up epoxy and valleys of no epoxy at all. Very strange. The epoxy in the mixing cup would harden normally, and the epoxy on the plug would harden fine too......just not where I wanted it.

Unless it's essentially a pride in craftsmanship concern, I'd just use the epoxy as-is.  Of course, it's water under the bridge now that you have a new batch to play with, but I really don't think the fish care. 99% of plugging is done at night.  I don't believe the fish really care.  a Lemon hue in a large bottle thinned out over a plug body = a negligible difference in color after sundown.  I completely get the craftsmanship and pride portion of building (I'm somewhat guilty..) You could also use it to dust off the surface of your seasonally worn favorites as well as sealing.