Yankee Bluefish

Rate this topic

dennysnook

How exactly do you bleed them. never kept them so I never bled them.

I've seen guy cut them along the gills which is pretty typical for bleeding a fish. Ive also seen guys cut the very end of the tail off just before it begins to fork. That also seems to do the trick

I've seen guy cut them along the gills which is pretty typical for bleeding a fish. Ive also seen guys cut the very end of the tail off just before it begins to fork. That also seems to do the trick

Have been bleeding them by slitting the throat for a particular buyer. Blood pours out once you slice through the main vein and they said bloodline is a quarter of what it was unbled and gutted how they first wanted them. Most markets here want whole condition which isn't best for certain species. I might try smoking some myself once I can take a second off.

Anyone know how good the meat freezes for smoking?

Have been bleeding them by slitting the throat for a particular buyer. Blood pours out once you slice through the main vein and they said bloodline is a quarter of what it was unbled and gutted how they first wanted them. Most markets here want whole condition which isn't best for certain species. I might try smoking some myself once I can take a second off.

Anyone know how good the meat freezes for smoking?

Do not freeze well.. will thaw out mushy And gross.. them big one are very oily and spoil very quick.. I'd say two days in fridge is about a day to much...

Can't imagine what wholesale price gonna be.. they sell retail up here about 2$ a pound give or take...

Best bet let the big choppers go and keep the 1-4lbser .. way better eating... like said make sure bleed , ice , and clean dam near all the red meat out.. I love them breaded and fried.. makes some of the best fish tacos you will ever have

They fight surprisingly similar to our snook at night, and can fool you with the jumps they make. The teeth suck, but have remedied most of that with #10 wire. Biggest issue is landing them. We use drop nets and these pitas bite big *** ***** in the nets then slide through halfway up the jetty. Almost broke a rod and bent a guide this week already. Come payday on Friday I will let you know how much I really like them. If worthless it was a lot of work in vain.

Theyll def tear up your nets.  Not sure if many guys use em down there but if youre interested in keeping blues maybe invest in/build a jetty gaff?  Wont reach em from the catwalk but on the south side jetty should be no problem.

Hows this, well trade you big blues for either bull reds, snook, or tarpon.  Your choice!

<<< Is jealous!  Great catch, and I bet they were a blast!  Removing a hook on the big guys can be a bit unnerving if you don't have your pliers in your pocket, LOL.  Headed to Cape Hatteras this evening, where they have had reports of large blues on Ocracoke, and smaller runs on Hatteras Island near the inlet.

I don't know what is going on this year, but Florida is invaded with monster blues. They are usually a rarity down here

attachicon.gifIMG_1860.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_11891.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_11881.jpg

They need immediate bleeding and to land in ice once they're cut. One pound of ice (minimum) for each pound of fish ... that's a local pinhookers' rule. Off the hook and into the cooler.

That is alot of ice. Would think it would be alot easier to brine the fish then transfer, because that gets them coldest the fastest.