Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angryeel

Surf fishing in Boca?

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I am headed to FL for a few days on Wednesday and am wondering if anyone has any info on fishing from shore in the Boca Raton area. I am only going to be there for one night at the start of the trip and one at the end; the rest of the time will be in the lower keys were I will have access to a boat biggrin.gif . Just wondering if it is worth it to toss a long rod in the tube for the 2 nights and one day in bocca? If so, what do I want to be tossing out there? I will probably bring one surf rod and check things out anyway, but some advance info would be great. Thanks for any help.

Angryeel

Probably not much going on in the surf in Boca at this time of the year. If you really want to try the beach, grab some sand fleas and toss them out on the bottom for pompano. You might get a few jacks or bluefish casting plugs from the jetty at Boca Inlet. Give a call to Lake Worth Pier which is about 15 miles north of Boca to get a pulse on the fishing there. This is a good time of year for cobia from the pier. If the water is calm and clear while you are on the pier, you can watch for huge stingrays that cruise the beach with cobia following close by. They will crush a big white bucktail or an 77M Mirrolure in green or blue if you drag it a few feet from their nose. If you are not a purist, live bait almost guarantees a bite if the cobia come in range. Keep in mind this is not an every day occurence, but it not at all uncommon. There are a lot of possibilities off the pier there, and there is no way I can cover them all.

[This message has been edited by Gamakatsu (edited 01-31-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Gamakatsu (edited 01-31-2002).]