Eric Roach

Real Range of GSB1081M?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm curious what experienced users of the Lami' GSB1081M feel the true weight range (and sweet spot) is for the blank.  I'm thinking of building one this spring.

My experience with 9' rods are with the XRA1084 (both 1- and 2-pieces) and the older (green) SSU108, 1-4 oz.  Can anyone comment how the action/power of the GSB108 compares to these?

Thanks for any insight.

It's a real solid 1-3 oz. rod, you can probably throw higher backing off a bit on loading the cast.  It's very powerful for a 9' rod.

I's taper is quite different than the other GSB's.  Some find it stiff and it doesn't perform as well at the lower end as say a 1201L would, but it can certainly do it.

The fellas I fish with both use the GLB108 version, it is a solid rod.  I went with a 1201L cut at the tip and butt to 9'6" because I like the action of the rod better.  But the 108M is more powerful and works the top end of weights better.  

unfortunately I cannot offer you a comparison with the rods you quote, I have no experience with them.

I think the 1081m is more of a 2-4 rod (maybe even 2-5) than a 1-3.  I had one conventional (before it met a car door) and could barely feel the plug when casting 1.5 oz with it.  Mine was built light so perhaps big heavy guides changes this perception somewhat.  More midshaft oomph than the other GSB's. It is the most powerful 9' casting rod I've ever used.   If you want 1-3 go with a 1081L or a Fiberstar or something else.

I built the 108 1m about 5 years ago, it has become my go to rod, casts very well and has good backbone. It is rated at 1 to 3 oz., the sweet spot is 2 1/2 ozs. but it handles mag darters and shads with ease.

$55 shipped right? PayPal fine? I'll take it.

I found a custom spinning rod made from a Lami GSB 108 1m to be way too stiff for my liking. It also didn't cast the lighter stuff I had in my bag. I much prefer a surf rod made from the Lami GSB 120 1L cut 6" to 12" off the butt. Much better rod for casting an array or lure weights from 1/2 oz. to 3 plus oz. It's a very good live/ rigged eel rod too. Also, it's parabolic action makes it a great fish fighting tool. Best all around surf rod I've ever used.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. 

My primary rod is a GSB1321M.  I find it a wonderful do-it-all stick which allows me to comfortably throw anything in my bag.  I enjoy the action of the blank very much and the only misgiving I have with it is how tiring it can become when thrashing pencils for long periods (it is built rapid-reduction with titanium guides).  It is perfect for what I commonly throw at night for bass in my neck of the woods (Mag Darters to 12" Slug-Gos), and for bluefish-ing.

It sounds like I shouldn't expect the action of the GSB1321M in the GSB1081M, which makes me think I should pass on it.  I have built several rods with stiff-ish action and invariably find that I reach past them on the rack for rods with more parabolic action.

Before posting this thread I used the Search feature for "GSB1081M" and read some previous posts about this blank; it seems that many discussions about the 108 are linked to the GSB1201L (in various modifications).  I've never held a GSB1201L, but I did build a modified GSB1202L (3" off the butt) many years ago.  With a minimalist x-flock butt, titanium guides and titanium plate seat it has a finished weight of only about 7 oz...You could almost twirl it in your fingers like a drum stick.  It throws up to maybe 2 oz, but it's a little scary when you hook a decent fish in any kind of current, so I sometimes shy away from it.

I see the GSB1201L has a #10 tip (the 2-piece has a #7).  What is your experience with the true weight range of the GSB1201L (at full length?)

Edited by Eric Roach

I have 2 GSB 120 1L s, , one is a full 10 feet and the other is 3 inches shorter, cut from the butt. I find that 2 1/2 oz is the best weight for casting distance. I use that weight for my pencils. I found that I get a little less distance when throwing  2 3/4 oz pencils. Anything heavier than that and the cast becomes more of a lob. I use old school guide setup, 4 guides plus a tip which gives the rod more flex.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies.

My primary rod is a GSB1321M. I find it a wonderful do-it-all stick which allows me to comfortably throw anything in my bag. I enjoy the action of the blank very much and the only misgiving I have with it is how tiring it can become when thrashing pencils for long periods (it is built rapid-reduction with titanium guides). It is perfect for what I commonly throw at night for bass in my neck of the woods (Mag Darters to 12" Slug-Gos), and for bluefish-ing.

It sounds like I shouldn't expect the action of the GSB1321M in the GSB1081M, which makes me think I should pass on it. I have built several rods with stiff-ish action and invariably find that I reach past them on the rack for rods with more parabolic action.

Before posting this thread I used the Search feature for "GSB1081M" and read some previous posts about this blank; it seems that many discussions about the 108 are linked to the GSB1201L (in various modifications). I've never held a GSB1201L, but I did build a modified GSB1202L (3" off the butt) many years ago. With a minimalist x-flock butt, titanium guides and titanium plate seat it has a finished weight of only about 7 oz...You could almost twirl it in your fingers like a drum stick. It throws up to maybe 2 oz, but it's a little scary when you hook a decent fish in any kind of current, so I sometimes shy away from it.

I see the GSB1201L has a #10 tip (the 2-piece has a #7). What is your experience with the true weight range of the GSB1201L (at full length?)

My go to rod is also the 1321M, and I built the 1201L full length as an early season/back bay rod. I love the 1201L. I haven't gotten anything larger than 15 pounds on it, so I can't make any claims on how it handles fish. I would say that the action is very similar to the 1321M, just with a lighter casting range. It will throw a 3/4 oz bucktail an amazing distance and will throw a 1/2 oz very well, also. It will throw a 3 ounce pencil a mile, and I've fished metal lips up to 4 ounces comfortably with the rod. I would say that if your go to is the 1321M, you will love the 1201L as a lighter rod.

Like all Lamiglas blanks in my experience it depends on when it was made. My 108-1m is about 20 years old. It will throw Bombers,Redfins,Mag Darters 1/2oz Bucktails  etc in an acceptable fashion but the sweet spot is definitely the 2 to 3oz range especially the 2 3/8 SS Little Neck and the old medium size Yozuri Surface Cruiser.I have used other generation 108-1m blanks that have a different feel.In my opinion Lamiglas blanks of the past were not consistent. I would suggest flexing the blank before you buy it.

Marc 

I agree with mml4. I built a MB 108 3M about 16 years ago and had one built 5 years ago. Two completely different blanks. The older one tops out at 1 3/4oz the newer one can through a 2 3/8oz ss popper with no problem

I have a light GSB1201L built Rapid Reduction with titanium matched to either a VS150 or Shimano 5000 reel.  I have landed fish in modest perpendicular current to @#45 with it.  I have also lost large fish in harder parallel current (outflows), and "hot" fish in the rocks with it because I couldn't stop them.  If you like the 1321M it is almost a certainty you will like the 1201L.  Very similar actions (obviously the 1321M is stronger).  The 1201L will bend deep into the grip under a big load, however.  The rod casts very well, nice easy comfortable rod to fish.  I throw anywhere from 3/4-3.5 oz with it and I feel it does fine with 2.5-3oz stuff.  The sweet spot is around 2-2.5 oz in my hands.  I would advise against cutting this blank unless you absolutely need a 9' rod.  It is a wonderfully versatile rod at its full length particularly when built state of the art as I'm sure you are planning.  Between the 1321m and the 1201L you have most beach fishing applications very well covered.