RJP44

Distance between reel seat and first guide

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

If they cast well with the stripper out that far, and the blank doesn't flex much in the lower section, then there's no objective downside to those sorts of placements that I'm aware of.  

Thanks, they’re all good. The 11’ Century S2 is the most moderate/parabolic and flexes right down to the handle but makes catching a big fish interesting….. the rod casts it’s entire range *well*.

If the main advantage to having that stripper closer to the reel is to have a little more leverage in the fight (but at the cost of some distance and marginal weight gain due to needing to use more guides) I guess I understand what’s at play now….that S2 might be a perfect example.

Edited by Slack Tidings

those arent valid reasons to build the S2 that way. a stripper guide that far away for a vs150 is less than optimal for cast and fighting a fish but changing it will be some where between moving a few to all the guides and get expensive. sounds like it working fine for you so leave well enough alone unless this is something you can do your self and have nothing to do over the winter

Posted (edited)

and then buy a reel that can shed line like water off a ducks back... nice long cast reel, say a Spinfisher SS VI 5500, filled with skinny braid and you might not need to wade.

Edited by ZAFisher

There's lots of guide placement info and charts on the internet.  Pick one as a starting point, tape your guides to the rod and cast it with the reel, line type and setup you'll most frequently use.  Keep track of the distance and how the rod feels.  You may also want/need to adjust the reel placement relative to the butt.

In my opinion, the only way you will know for sure if the rod performs the way *you* like it is to take the extra time.

Have fun with the process.  The good energy you put into the rod will stay with it for a long time.