RJP44

Distance between reel seat and first guide

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Is there any advantage or reason why some rod builders choose to have a larger distance from the reel seat to the bottom eye while some have shorter distances? The rods I am looking at are 7ft custom striper boat spinning rods.  IMO the distance between the reel seat and bottom guide seems longer than what Im used to fishing, just curious if there are any drawbacks or positives?  I should be able to get the measurements if they would help. 

This depends on the size of the ring, the height to the bottom of the ring, the height of the reel, the size of the reel's spool, the type (and strength) of line used, and to some degree the length of the rod and velocities generated during a cast.  Issues such as blank loading, blank action, and visual esthetics (for factory rods) are also factors.  

At 7' (which is short for a striper boat spinning rod, by the way) for 1/2-2oz lures and a midsized reel, if built by a competent custom rod builder sometime in the last decade or so, the rods ought to perform about the same regardless of how they are setup. 

Moving the butt guide away from the reel might get you a little bit of extra casting distance. But it will do so to the detriment of fighting ability: the farther away the butt guide is from the reel, the less stopping power (i.e. leverage) a rod has. 

Moving the butt guide closer to the reel usually does the opposite: it gives you more fish lifting power, but can sometimes do so at the expense of some casting distance. 

This is for spinning rods, by the way. When building convench rods, I usually ignore casting, and focus instead on fish-lifting ability. When you locate a butt guide correctly on a baitcast rod, it really makes a big difference in using the rod's inherent power most efficiently. 

This ties into getting max rod power, a fast action blank can have the butt guide farther from the reel than a slow rod that flexes down to the reel seat which will need it much closer.

This depends on the size of the ring, the height to the bottom of the ring, the height of the reel, the size of the reel's spool, the type (and strength) of line used, and to some degree the length of the rod and velocities generated during a cast.  Issues such as blank loading, blank action, and visual esthetics (for factory rods) are also factors.  

At 7' (which is short for a striper boat spinning rod, by the way) for 1/2-2oz lures and a midsized reel, if built by a competent custom rod builder sometime in the last decade or so, the rods ought to perform about the same regardless of how they are setup. 

You really feel 7ft is short for a boat striper rod? what would you recommend for size?

What is the average distance when you guys build rods for the first guide to the reel seat?  My rod is at 25.5" roughly, from the top of the reel seat to the guide, I plan on using a 5k or 6k sized reel.

Works out at about 610mm / 24" from the spool face. Sounds OK.

24" inches is usually my starting place for boat rods. For surf rods, I go out a little bit farther, to the 26-inch range, and then let testing determine the final spacing. 

All these answers are correct and that can be very confusing to someone just getting started. Your guide spacing on a spinning rod will be based on guide height, ring size relative to reel spool size, angle of reel toward choke point and the type of rod (purpose) you are building. I would pick one good direction and go with it. Look at other rods you like with similar reels and measure the guides and distance from the reel and the tip top. Put your reel seat and grips on, mount your reel, tape the guides on as the measured ones and adjust the spacing from there. I like a straight line from the reel to the choke point then the smallest running guides I can get away with. Here is an example of what I am ranting about and the guide ring sizes are just examples. The closer to the spool you get the ring size should increase whereas a smaller ring works better farther away. This is all relative to line slap on the ring and the ability to "control" the line.

post-73818-0-22163500-1490217559.jpg

You really feel 7ft is short for a boat striper rod? what would you recommend for size?

IMO 7 ft is short unless you are throwing small stuff (in which case 6.5-7 is fine).  7 1/2 at least, and 8 is usually better, if throwing standard 1-3 oz stuff.  I have decades and thousands of hours experience plugging for striped bass from boats.  My experience is also matched by most of the other guys I fish with.  Indeed in recent years I've often used a 9 ft rod and found it beneficial but I don't think anyone would recommend starting there.

Posted (edited)

Bringing this back to life!

I’ve got 4 surf rods from 9’6” to 11’6”. The 9’6” was a custom for me and (with a vs150) the distance from the reel stem to the 1st guide is about 38”….I just picked up the 11’6” and coincidentally the distance is close to the same. The other 2 rods are 11 footers with one @ about 40” (also built for a vs150) and the other closer to 42”. All these distances seems a lot further than what I’m seeing listed here! Wonder why these builders did that?

Edited by Slack Tidings

Posted (edited)

as stated the distance is determined by the size ,height and angle of the reel and the size and height of the ring. you are trying to get the line under control and running straight as soon as possible with out creating excessive resistance that would slow the line flow down. the closer you can get the guide to the reel and not create excessive resistance that cuts down on casting distance the better off you are. There is soem good information on this on the anglers resource site.

Edited by SurffisherMike

Seems as though one might be able to retrofit a reel to a rod by playing with the reel seat location and possibly changing the stripping guide? My 11’6” S8 works great but almost definitely was built for a bigger  reel than the vs150! Probably not worth fussing about.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, Slack Tidings said:

Bringing this back to life!

I’ve got 4 surf rods from 9’6” to 11’6”. The 9’6” was a custom for me and (with a vs150) the distance from the reel stem to the 1st guide is about 38”….I just picked up the 11’6” and coincidentally the distance is close to the same. The other 2 rods are 11 footers with one @ about 40” (also built for a vs150) and the other closer to 42”. All these distances seems a lot further than what I’m seeing listed here! Wonder why these builders did that?

If they cast well with the stripper out that far, and the blank doesn't flex much in the lower section, then there's no objective downside to those sorts of placements that I'm aware of.