Snakeheads

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

There is no reaching.

You are making stuff up in just about every post.  In this case, almost every sentence.

But, going off the "past is the past" statement, why are you concerned about snakeheads living in places like the Potomac or Florida?

You are the one who brought up the Potomac and Florida.  Not me.  Re-read your posts.  I was just responding to your statement.  All I want is for citizens to obey the law and not dump snakeheads into other waterways.

why would you want to murder/destroy/eradicate snakeheads which you implied are balenced via you statement that they "are not hampering" the Potomac.

Again, you are living in the past and making stuff up.  I never said to try and remove them from the Potomac.  They already exist in the Potomac.  It would be pointless to try to remove them from the Potomac.  They are an invasive species. 

And, we were talking about snakeheads in the Chesapeake tidal waters if you missed the first few pages of the thread.

Last time I checked, the Potomac runs into the Chesapeake Bay.  They are connected.  Stripers travel up the Potomac in the spring to spawn.  In any case, you brought up the Potomac, not me.  Re-read the thread.  Your post #46 and #48.  My first mention of the Potomac was on post #50 (in response to yours).

And, you have continued to demonstrated that you do not give a crap about the true native fish in said waters. You basically openly admited that the current invasive species should be allowed to continue to live because what more damage could they do? Right? I mean who really cares if white catfish or some stupid eastern hognose suckers ever reach their former population densities. We know you don't care. Wasn't the plight of the native fish your original arguement?

More B.S.  You can't make this up any better.  Again, living in the past.  Assuming that I want an ecosystem to change back to the way it was before I was born.  I never mentioned anything about a white catfish or hognose sucker (never heard of them).  Never said I don't care about native species.  Stop reaching for straws.  All I want is for citizens to obey the law and not dump snakeheads into other waterways.

And, you have yet again tried to change the direction of the discussion after realizing you have nothing to stand on.

Again, my stance remains firm:  All I want is for citizens to obey the law and not dump snakeheads into other waterways.

I suggest you re-read the thread and get your facts straight before making more stuff up.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, reflection said:

They are the apex hunter and will dominate the fishery.  Much more invasive than other gamefish.

The Virginia DGIF asks that all be killed.  They can't force people to kill them, but they want you to.  "Anglers are required to report snakeheads kept but are not required to kill them if caught and immediately released.  Snakeheads must be dead if in possession (contained in live well, cooler, etc.)  However, the Department asks that all snakeheads be killed if possible."

Your first post, in it you quote the Virginia DNR. Your purpose for quoting them in such a way is to encourage anglers to kill them; this is supported by the fact you say they are and "apex hunter" and "will dominate the fishery".

In the post previous to this post, you state that "other fish will have no chance" again implying that you feel snakeheads will wipe out a fishery.

I brought up Florida as an example of a vibrant fishery that is loaded with snakeheads yet produces some of the worlds largest lmb to go along with the fact that the Chesapeake tidal waters are a world class bass fishery in themselves. These two examples of excellent fisheries that have suffered no ill effects related to snakehead inhabitation are meant to demonstrate how unnecessary it is to be paranoid about the presence of snakeheads and further more support the stance that there is no good reason to kill every snakehead you catch unless you plan on eating it. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, reflection said:

Florida has the bullseye snakehead and maryland has the northern snakehead.  I don't know the difference and I'll leave that to the experts for recommendations.

I'm not an expert and I will leave the scientific recommendations to the experts.  Those experts are the researchers and scientists from the US Fish and Wildlife, Maryland DNR, Virnginia DGIF, and others.  Just google it and there are many hits.  It's illegal to transport snakeheads across state lines for a reason.  I'm not making this stuff up.  Most of what I'm reading is coming from state and federal government organizations (not the media).  There is a real threat according to those experts.  Back in 2004, someone caught a snakehead in a pond in MD and the experts drained the pond to find more.  They wouldn't have drain the pond if they thought there was no threat.

I'm not sure what scientific proof you are looking for more than what is urged by the all expert ecologists at many of the fish and wildlife conservation organizations in the US and affected states.  I'm sure many of them are avid fishermen as well.  These experts are unanimous when they say the Northern Snakehead poses a real threat.  I don't think they are making that up for fun or to scare us.

This is where you became really mixed up as you seem to think that people are saying snakeheads should be transported live across state lines for release in to other bodies of water.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Pylodictis said:

In other words, you do not have to keep or kill snakeheads, MD just suggests it; they just don't want you transporting them live, importing them, or possessing live snakeheads.

I say let all the snakeheads go and practice strict C&R with them unless you plan on eating them. They are no more invasive then any of the other gamefish in those tidal waters.

You can either keep catching oversized members of the bluegill or catch something fun and exotic. Hell, isn't that why guys fish for peacocks that were implanted in Florida? Because they are a blast to catch in FW? Why the hell do people talk about traveling to exotic places to catch fish that they can't catch here in the US? Because those exotic fish are so much more fun.

Heck, that was the whole point MD dumped bass in the Potomac to began with, because there were no true year round game fish that were native to the river.

Tell me, is there any good/sensible reason why snakeheads should be treated differently then all the other invasive fish in the Potomac? 

This is in a post I made, previous to your entrance into the conversation, where I acknowledged the law regarding transporting, importing, or possessing live snakeheads.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Pylodictis said:

Wish people would dump them in the Allegheny so I didn't have to go to MD to fish for them.

Note my statement here, do I say I am going to dump snakeheads in the Allegheny as you claimed I said?

I do state that I wish others would dump them in the Allegheny so I could have the opportunity to target them like I did when living in MD, but I wouldn't even call that an encouragement for others to do so.

30 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

34 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:
On 3/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, Pylodictis said:

Wish people would dump them in the Allegheny so I didn't have to go to MD to fish for them.

Note my statement here, do I say I am going to dump snakeheads in the Allegheny as you claimed I said?

I do state that I wish others would dump them in the Allegheny so I could have the opportunity to target them like I did when living in MD, but I wouldn't even call that an encouragement for others to do so.

LOL.  You keep digging a deeper hole.  Do you realize that you are wishing for other people to do something that is illegal?  (note: that was a rhetorical question because we know you know it's illegal to dump snakeheads in other rivers).  They could get arrested and/or fined.

53 minutes ago, reflection said:

LOL.  You keep digging a deeper hole.  Do you realize that you are wishing for other people to do something that is illegal?  (note: that was a rhetorical question because we know you know it's illegal to dump snakeheads in other rivers).  They could get arrested and/or fined.

Do you realize you have not made a single point yet that you can stand on?

If this is all you can say at this point in the discussion, what have you achieved? What have you accomplished? Other then entertaining me.

At the same time, it is obvious that the only reason you joined this site was to try and debate the subject of snakeheads on this one thread. You haven't bothered adding anything of value fishing wise to any other forum or thread on this whole site, have you?

Really kind of sad if you think about it.

Edited by Pylodictis

17 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

Do you realize you have not made a single point yet that you can stand on?

If this is all you can say at this point in the discussion, what have you achieved? What have you accomplished? Other then entertaining me.

I can't help it if you chose to ignore the points I've reiterated a number of times.  Go re-read the laws and warnings and stop wishing that others commit crimes for your selfish pleasure.

If you want more entertainment, watch the snakehead youtube videos.

4 minutes ago, reflection said:

I can't help it if you chose to ignore the points I've reiterated a number of times.  Go re-read the laws and warnings and stop wishing that others commit crimes for your selfish pleasure.

If you want more entertainment, watch the snakehead youtube videos.

What on earth are you talking about?

And what points did you make? Nothing you said was new to me that I haven't read, seen, or researched about long ago.

Also, if bass had teeth, what do you think their videos would look like? Now that would be awesome and entertaining.

11 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

And what points did you make? Nothing you said was new to me that I haven't read, seen, or researched about long ago.

What I have been saying is not new.  You know exactly what I'm referring to since you've already read, seen, and researched it a long time ago.  Those are the points.  It's not new.  I'm not making stuff up.

Fact:  It is a crime in the U.S. to dump snakeheads into other bodies of water.  Why do you wish others to commit crimes?

Fact:  There are many articles published by government entities, researchers, universities that describe snakeheads as invasive.

Fact:  There are many warnings from government entities and scientists that describe the danger of introducing snakeheads to non-native environments.

Fact:  Introducing snakeheads to non-native environments poses a risk to disrupt the ecosystem.  Whether that risk is 1% or 99%, there is no question that the risk is not 0%.

All your speculation about collusion and people not caring about rosyside dace or hognose suckers really does not change the facts I have presented.

11 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

Also, if bass had teeth, what do you think their videos would look like? Now that would be awesome and entertaining.

Again, you are making stuff up.  "What if's" don't count.   Entertaining as it might be, bass and snakeheads are different (fact). 

3 hours ago, reflection said:

What I have been saying is not new.  You know exactly what I'm referring to since you've already read, seen, and researched it a long time ago.  Those are the points.  It's not new.  I'm not making stuff up.

Fact:  It is a crime in the U.S. to dump snakeheads into other bodies of water.  Why do you wish others to commit crimes?

Fact:  There are many articles published by government entities, researchers, universities that describe snakeheads as invasive.

Fact:  There are many warnings from government entities and scientists that describe the danger of introducing snakeheads to non-native environments.

Fact:  Introducing snakeheads to non-native environments poses a risk to disrupt the ecosystem.  Whether that risk is 1% or 99%, there is no question that the risk is not 0%.

All your speculation about collusion and people not caring about rosyside dace or hognose suckers really does not change the facts I have presented.

Again, you are making stuff up.  "What if's" don't count.   Entertaining as it might be, bass and snakeheads are different (fact). 

Fact: No one said they were going to put snkeheads anywhere, so what on earth are you still going on about?

Fact: You have nothing more to say as you burned holes in all your own points yourself. 

Again, you have no legs to stand on so you are now hobbling around on this idea that I said something I never said. You have failed to answer a single question I have posed to you, the questions were not rhetorical, still you side stepped the questions because you know if you answered honestly you would have to admit I am right.

Tell me, do you care about the native species in the Allegheny so much that you feel you have to keep claiming I said I was going to dump snakeheads in the river (which I never said btw)? No, you do not give a crap about any species of fish in that river or any river aside from bass. I bet you are one of those guys that kills musky and kills flatheads because you think they kill bass, don't you? See, now that is speculation on my part, but I am sure I am right. How many musky have you killed? Huh? Well?

But, I think I will stop there, your points and arguements become weaker and weaker as you have brought complete discredit to your stance and veiw points the more you have talked. I got you where I wanted you and you wholeheartedly complied, that is good enough. I will bump this thread as needed for future people to read about snakeheads and read about how you openly admit that they are not an issue in the Chesapeake tidal waters.

The subject itself is quite interesting, I am sure you agree. Now go out and have some fun fishing for snakeheads, if you even fish much.

Edited by Pylodictis

1 hour ago, Pylodictis said:

Tell me, do you care about the native species in the Allegheny so much that you feel you have to keep claiming I said I was going to dump snakeheads in the river (which I never said btw)? No, you do not give a crap about any species of fish in that river or any river aside from bass. I bet you are one of those guys that kills musky and kills flatheads because you think they kill bass, don't you? See, now that is speculation on my part, but I am sure I am right. How many musky have you killed? Huh? Well?

Asking me irrelevant questions and then making up answers for me?  Is that all you got?   LOL.

Fact:  On 3/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, You posted that you wish for others to dump snakeheads into the Allegheny for your fishing pleasure.  You reaffirmed this yesterday in post #64.

Re-read post #69 for other relevant facts that have legs.  Also, learn what a "fact" is!  LOL

4 hours ago, reflection said:

Asking me irrelevant questions and then making up answers for me?  Is that all you got?   LOL.

Fact:  On 3/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, You posted that you wish for others to dump snakeheads into the Allegheny for your fishing pleasure.  You reaffirmed this yesterday in post #64.

Re-read post #69 for other relevant facts that have legs.  Also, learn what a "fact" is!  LOL

Fact: No one said they were going to put snkeheads anywhere, so what on earth are you still going on about?

Fact: You have nothing more to say as you burned holes in all your own points yourself. 

Again, you have no legs to stand on so you are now hobbling around on this idea that I said something I never said. You have failed to answer a single question I have posed to you, the questions were not rhetorical, still you side stepped the questions because you know if you answered honestly you would have to admit I am right.

But, I think I will stop there, your points and arguements become weaker and weaker as you have brought complete discredit to your stance and veiw points the more you have talked. I got you where I wanted you and you wholeheartedly complied, that is good enough. I will bump this thread as needed for future people to read about snakeheads and read about how you openly admit that they are not an issue in the Chesapeake tidal waters.

The subject itself is quite interesting, I am sure you agree. Now go out and have some fun fishing for snakeheads, if you even fish much.

28 minutes ago, reflection said:

All you got?!  Thought so.  LOL

Like I said, "Your points and arguments become weaker and weaker as you have brought complete discredit to your stance and view points the more you have talked. I got you where I wanted you and you wholeheartedly complied, that is good enough. ".

Tell me, what more is there to be said by me? 

You are not even arguing your original point, you are off on a tangent (claiming I said I was going to dump snake heads in the Allegheny) which has nothing to do with your original purpose for your entrance into the discussion and you have proved to be nothing more then a troll that doesn't have his own facts together by your own self contradictions and own admissions about the reality of snake head habitation in the Chesapeake tidal waters.

At this point you are nit picking as you can come up with no other sound argument other then to accuse an actual contributing member of this site of committing crimes that were never committed; the fact is that wishful thinking is not illegal and I am not even the first angler on this site or in this country to wish I could catch exotic species in the water ways that I live in close proximity too. 

It is obvious that your sole purpose for joining this site was to act as a troll; how pathetic. Even more pathetic, you failed miserably at supporting your own stance on snake heads and there effect on native fish species. 

So tell me, what have you achieved?

But, I already know you will not answer that question just like every other question I have posed to you; you can not answer a legitimate question without the full understanding that you will further discredit your self and your stance.

So, again, tell me what more is there to be said by me? 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0633.2012.00563.x/pdf

For any one that is legitimately interested on how snake heads fit into the ecology of the Potomac, this article is a very good read as it sheds much light on to the diet of snake heads in the Potomac, the actual concerns related to snake heads in the Potomac, and the article also reviews the impact lmb have had in areas where they were introduced (incase any one else wants to claim that lmb are poor helpless victims that are passive and harmless). 

Edited by Pylodictis