Trainman327

Snakeheads

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, reflection said:

Florida has the bullseye snakehead and maryland has the northern snakehead.  I don't know the difference and I'll leave that to the experts for recommendations.

 

I'm not an expert and I will leave the scientific recommendations to the experts.  Those experts are the researchers and scientists from the US Fish and Wildlife, Maryland DNR, Virnginia DGIF, and others.  Just google it and there are many hits.  It's illegal to transport snakeheads across state lines for a reason.  I'm not making this stuff up.  Most of what I'm reading is coming from state and federal government organizations (not the media).  There is a real threat according to those experts.  Back in 2004, someone caught a snakehead in a pond in MD and the experts drained the pond to find more.  They wouldn't have drain the pond if they thought there was no threat.

 

I'm not sure what scientific proof you are looking for more than what is urged by the all expert ecologists at many of the fish and wildlife conservation organizations in the US and affected states.  I'm sure many of them are avid fishermen as well.  These experts are unanimous when they say the Northern Snakehead poses a real threat.  I don't think they are making that up for fun or to scare us.

I haven't seen any scientific research done on snakeheads and their impact on other invasive species (introduced gamefish like lmb and smb because the Potomac wouldn't have much worth fishing for if aggresive fw predators were not dumped into the river) or true native species. People don't care about the true native species in any of these systems (which if you remember the DNR cried that snakeheads would kill the native fish, but they really meant that they were concerned that snakeheads would simply out compete the previously introduced/invasive species).

 

When was the last time you heard some one brag they caught an eastern hog sucker or complain they don't catch enough of them? Have you heard the Potomac DNR say that tadpole madtoms are becoming endangered because of snakeheads? The DNR's do not care about any threat to the true native species, and you don't care about those true native fish either, so quit acting like you care about crap! The DNR and the vast majority of anglers only care that lmb and smb are preserved in the Potomac; they don't care about rock fish fyi. And the DNR sure as heck hasn't provided any research saying snakeheads are having an impact on anything aside from providing baby snakeheads for lmb to eat. If the DNR came out tommarow in the media and admitted openly that snakeheads pose no threat to smb and lmb, you and every other tom, dick, and harry would smile and go on their way.

 

Many times, like in the case of the snakehead, the DNRs immediatly label fish like the snakeheads as a type of boogy man/frankenfish and the DNRs dumped a lot of false information on the media about these fish. Many people now simply assume that the big bad frankenfish is going to kill all the other invasive/introduced fish. 

 

Would you like to know the funniest part about those stupid DNR/expert guys? They killed that entire dam pond, you are refering to, just to kill snakeheads because they were worried that snakeheads would kill all the fish in the dam pond (I know about it, I was there, I lived through all the stupidity that prevailed regarding the fear of the snakehead in MD, I was pissed because the DNR killed the pond I used to fish at when I was in HS). Who killed more fish at the pond? Who? The snakeheads? Who needs snakeheads to kill the fish with the DNR/experts going around wiping out the fish population/ecosystem of an entire body of water? And the DNR/experts did it without a single shred of scientific evidence that proved snakeheads would be a threat to the ecosystem of that pond. So, who was the real threat to all the fish of the pond? Tell me?

 

When fools blindly buy into the bull crap hype fed to them by media, and by officials that have their own motives, without using logic and reasoning, without demanding to first see scientifically sound research, ignorance and unwarrented fear prevails.

 

Edited by Pylodictis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

When fools blindly buy into the bull crap hype fed to them by media, and by officials that have their own motives, without using logic and reasoning, without demanding to first see scientifically sound research, ignorance and unwarrented fear prevails.

 

Seriously, I see hundreds of google hits on recommendations that snakeheads should not allowed to proliferate.  Do you really feel there is a hidden agenda by all the federal government agencies, all the state government agencies, and all the university researchers?  It's not about being ignorant or fearful, but rather taking the side of caution.

 

Obviously the ecosystem will eventually "balance out" after snakeheads are established.  One big concern is that it may cause the extinction of one or more native species along the way.  Example: the nile perch is responsible for the extinction of over 300 native species in Lake Victoria.  http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-burg/invasion_bio/inv_spp_summ/Lates_niloticus.htm

 

"Snakehead are very aggressive in their efforts to protect their young and will out-compete other native fish for food and quickly dominate a lake. They have a huge impact on local fish populations through displacement and predation. As a result, they could disrupt the ecological balance and forever change native aquatic ecosystems. "

 

"An invasive species is an introduced, nonnative organism (disease, parasite, plant, or animal) that begins to spread or expand its range from the site of its original introduction and has the potential to cause harm to the environment, the economy, or to human health. A few well-known examples include the unintentional introduction of the West Nile virus, chestnut blight, the South American fireant in the south-eastern states, zebra mussels, and lamprey eels in the Great Lakes, in addition to the intentional introductions of salt cedar (Tamarisk) in the south-west, kudzu vine in the south-east, house sparrows, starlings, and nutria in Louisiana and Maryland.  


Although the U.S. depends on many intentionally introduced nonnative plants and animals for our food supply, most are “domesticated” to
be noninvasive (the introduction of potatoes and cattle, for example). In the past century, however, an increasing number of exotic plants and animals have been brought to the U.S. for other reasons. Many invasives have been unintentionally introduced as “hitchhikers” with imported species of plants, some animals have escaped or have been purposefully released, and many are now environmental and economic threats. A study conducted at Cornell University estimated the annual environmental and economic costs due to invasive species of plants and animals at $137 billion."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reflection said:

Seriously, I see hundreds of google hits on recommendations that snakeheads should not allowed to proliferate.  Do you really feel there is a hidden agenda by all the federal government agencies, all the state government agencies, and all the university researchers?  It's not about being ignorant or fearful, but rather taking the side of caution.

 

Obviously the ecosystem will eventually "balance out" after snakeheads are established.  One big concern is that it may cause the extinction of one or more native species along the way.  Example: the nile perch is responsible for the extinction of over 300 native species in Lake Victoria.  http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-burg/invasion_bio/inv_spp_summ/Lates_niloticus.htm

 

"Snakehead are very aggressive in their efforts to protect their young and will out-compete other native fish for food and quickly dominate a lake. They have a huge impact on local fish populations through displacement and predation. As a result, they could disrupt the ecological balance and forever change native aquatic ecosystems. "

 

"An invasive species is an introduced, nonnative organism (disease, parasite, plant, or animal) that begins to spread or expand its range from the site of its original introduction and has the potential to cause harm to the environment, the economy, or to human health. A few well-known examples include the unintentional introduction of the West Nile virus, chestnut blight, the South American fireant in the south-eastern states, zebra mussels, and lamprey eels in the Great Lakes, in addition to the intentional introductions of salt cedar (Tamarisk) in the south-west, kudzu vine in the south-east, house sparrows, starlings, and nutria in Louisiana and Maryland.  


Although the U.S. depends on many intentionally introduced nonnative plants and animals for our food supply, most are “domesticated” to
be noninvasive (the introduction of potatoes and cattle, for example). In the past century, however, an increasing number of exotic plants and animals have been brought to the U.S. for other reasons. Many invasives have been unintentionally introduced as “hitchhikers” with imported species of plants, some animals have escaped or have been purposefully released, and many are now environmental and economic threats. A study conducted at Cornell University estimated the annual environmental and economic costs due to invasive species of plants and animals at $137 billion."

 

 

Did you ever ask yourself how much havoc lmb must have brought to the Potomac river prior to becoming naturalized? How many fish it brought to near extinction? Like I said, the DNR, and anglers like you, don't give a crap about the true native species, only the gamefish you prefer catching. In order to not be a hypocrite, maybe you should demand that all introduced fish in the Potomac should be killed off so the little fish like the rosyside dace (you haven't even heard of the fish have you) can live in peace once again. But, fishing would really suck in the Potomac if it wasn't for introduced invasive fish like lmb, smb, snakeheads, blue cats, etc...

 

The terms invasive and introduced are thrown around with only regard for which fish officals feel are most popular regarding all the fish that are introduced. A species can be introduced, but the moment the DNR doesn't like it anymore it is labeled, "invasive" if they like an invasive fish the label it "introduced". 

 

Also...

 

I am still waiting on you to provide me a link to some scientific research that proves snakeheads are destroying the Potomac.

 

Of all the information that has been put out into the media by the experts, all the stuff you copied and pasted (which I have read years ago and already know), and the only negative reports I have seen to date are based on pure speculation about what could happen in a worst possible scenario. They are only posting speculatory remarks because they have no evidence snakeheads are harmful to the other introduced species.

 

But, if you would rather base the decisions you make in life on google hits, recommendations from google, and statements that are purely speculatory, go ahead.

 

 

Edited by Pylodictis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

 

Did you ever ask yourself how much havoc lmb must have brought to the Potomac river prior to becoming naturalized? How many fish it brought to near extinction? Like I said, the DNR, and anglers like you, don't give a crap about the true native species, only the gamefish you prefer catching. In order to not be a hypocrite, maybe you should demand that all introduced fish in the Potomac should be killed off so the little fish like the rosyside dace (you haven't even heard of the fish have you) can live in peace once again. But, fishing would really suck in the Potomac if it wasn't for introduced invasive fish like lmb, smb, snakeheads, blue cats, etc...

 

The terms invasive and introduced are thrown around with only regard for which fish officals feel are most popular regarding all the fish that are introduced. A species can be introduced, but the moment the DNR doesn't like it anymore it is labeled, "invasive" if they like an invasive fish the label it "introduced". 

 

Also...

 

I am still waiting on you to provide me a link to some scientific research that proves snakeheads are destroying the Potomac.

 

Of all the information that has been put out into the media by the experts, all the stuff you copied and pasted (which I have read years ago and already know), and the only negative reports I have seen to date are based on pure speculation about what could happen in a worst possible scenario. They are only posting speculatory remarks because they have no evidence snakeheads are harmful to the other introduced species.

 

But, if you would rather base the decisions you make in life on google hits, recommendations from google, and statements that are purely speculatory, go ahead.

 

 

 

So are you implying that all the state governments and federal governments are colluding and have an ulterior motive?  Or is that pure speculation? 

 

Snakeheads are known around the world to be very invasive (I could list all the links but you will just reject them).  You can't just drop snakeheads into ponds and lakes and rivers and do a study to see what their effects were.  They may blend in very well or they may devastate the ecosystem.  Each ecosystem are different.  If they mess up the ecosystem, it's too late to remove them.  I'm sure other species have disrupted ecosystems in the past, but that does not make it right.  One has to error on the side of caution instead of making bold statements like, "if we introduced lmb, then introducing snakeheads is okay".

 

The Potomac is a fish factory and has not been hampered by Snakeheads, but that doesn't mean that other fisheries are as resilient.

 

Honestly it boggles my mind why you take this stance.  Even if we take out all the hundreds of public warnings and recommendations.  Even if you have some beef against the DNR or the media.  Even if you don't like tree huggers.  Or you want to get back at those who introduced LMB or those who killed your rosyside dace.  Why would you want to introduce a known voracious predator into a delicate fishery without knowing the consequences?  Why would you not error on the side of caution?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 1:35 PM, reflection said:

 

So are you implying that all the state governments and federal governments are colluding and have an ulterior motive?  Or is that pure speculation? 

 

Snakeheads are known around the world to be very invasive (I could list all the links but you will just reject them).  You can't just drop snakeheads into ponds and lakes and rivers and do a study to see what their effects were.  They may blend in very well or they may devastate the ecosystem.  Each ecosystem are different.  If they mess up the ecosystem, it's too late to remove them.  I'm sure other species have disrupted ecosystems in the past, but that does not make it right.  One has to error on the side of caution instead of making bold statements like, "if we introduced lmb, then introducing snakeheads is okay".

 

The Potomac is a fish factory and has not been hampered by Snakeheads, but that doesn't mean that other fisheries are as resilient.

 

Honestly it boggles my mind why you take this stance.  Even if we take out all the hundreds of public warnings and recommendations.  Even if you have some beef against the DNR or the media.  Even if you don't like tree huggers.  Or you want to get back at those who introduced LMB or those who killed your rosyside dace.  Why would you want to introduce a known voracious predator into a delicate fishery without knowing the consequences?  Why would you not error on the side of caution?

 

 

 

So you admit, after all your comments and quotes of the DNR and officials, that you know that snakeheads have not hampered or harmed the Potomac. That is good enough for me, I am glad we can see eye to eye.

 

My stance, ultimately, is that snake heads are a lot more fun of a fish to target then smb and lmb, why the heck not enjoy fishing for an exotic species that you would normally have to travel half way across the world to fish for. What have you got to lose? Was not the decision to stock all these locations with smb and lmb based on the idea of creating an awesome fishery? You should enjoy the excellent diversity of fish available to target in the Potomac, not condemn it.

 

But, if you would rather base the decisions you make in life on google hits, recommendations from google, and statements that are purely speculation, go ahead and do so. Just remember, it it wasn't for invasive species being dumped into the Potomac, white catfish would be the largest predator that stays in the Potomac year round and all you would have to look forward to would be the annual rock bass migration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pylodictis said:

My stance, ultimately, is that snake heads are a lot more fun of a fish to target then smb and lmb, why the heck not enjoy fishing for an exotic species that you would normally have to travel half way across the world to fish for. What have you got to lose? Was not the decision to stock all these locations with smb and lmb based on the idea of creating an awesome fishery? You should enjoy the excellent diversity of fish available to target in the Potomac, not condemn it.

 

But, if you would rather base the decisions you make in life on google hits, recommendations from google, and statements that are purely speculation, go ahead and do so. Just remember, it it wasn't for invasive species being dumped into the Potomac, white catfish would be the largest predator that stays in the Potomac year round and all you would have to look forward to would be the annual rock bass migration.

 

On 3/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, Pylodictis said:

Wish people would dump them in the Allegheny so I didn't have to go to MD to fish for them.

 

Most of the speculation I'm reading is coming from you.  You're missing the point that we can't just dump Snakeheads around different areas for the "fun" of catching them.  All you do is use a condescending tone and imply people are speculating, ignorant, hypocrites, fools, ignorant, etc. (yes, these were your choice of words).

 

"What have you got to lose?" you ask?  Come on man - we don't know what the consequences are so why take the chance of dumping them into other fisheries?

 

Maybe some videos will convince you that we should not take chances:

 

 

I know you don't like internet searches, but youtube has lots of videos of how aggressive snakeheads are (videos are better than words).

 

Some comments from youtube (sorry if you feel they are ignorant, they are just expressing their experience):

 

"I've owned a Northern Snake head before they were illegal, I had it in a 200gal tank with 3 red belly piranhas, 2 gars and 3 Rhombeus piranhas. The snake head wasn't full grown and at 2 years old it was 12-13 inches long. When it hit maturity the snakehead killed everything in the tank simply just to kill it. Piranhas aren't aggressive, I could have my hand in the tank (unless i was bleeding) and they would do nothing but go to the other side of the tank, the gars couldn't care less. The snakehead wouldn't have that sort of garbage going on in his house and would come at me, slowly but he would have done something about it if I let him. There were also times when i would walk past the tank and he would charge the glass to get me. I eventually chopped his head off with an axe, he was an sweetheart. "

 

"Me and my brother had an oscar and piranha back then. One day, he decided to add a baby snakehead. at first we were worried because the oscar and piranha never stops chasing him. But when it reached maturity he ate all the piranha and Oscar! The last oscar was brutally eaten because it's was bigger than the others. I was so disheartened. After that we started feeding it lizards,mice and frogs. Before my uncle decides to take it away."

Edited by reflection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reflection said:

 

 

Most of the speculation I'm reading is coming from you.  You're missing the point that we can't just dump Snakeheads around different areas for the "fun" of catching them.  All you do is use a condescending tone and imply people are speculating, ignorant, hypocrites, fools, ignorant, etc. (yes, these were your choice of words).

 

"What have you got to lose?" you ask?  Come on man - we don't know what the consequences are so why take the chance of dumping them into other fisheries?

 

Maybe some videos will convince you that we should not take chances:

 

 

I know you don't like internet searches, but youtube has lots of videos of how aggressive snakeheads are (videos are better than words).

 

Some comments from youtube (sorry if you feel they are ignorant, they are just expressing their experience):

 

"I've owned a Northern Snake head before they were illegal, I had it in a 200gal tank with 3 red belly piranhas, 2 gars and 3 Rhombeus piranhas. The snake head wasn't full grown and at 2 years old it was 12-13 inches long. When it hit maturity the snakehead killed everything in the tank simply just to kill it. Piranhas aren't aggressive, I could have my hand in the tank (unless i was bleeding) and they would do nothing but go to the other side of the tank, the gars couldn't care less. The snakehead wouldn't have that sort of garbage going on in his house and would come at me, slowly but he would have done something about it if I let him. There were also times when i would walk past the tank and he would charge the glass to get me. I eventually chopped his head off with an axe, he was an sweetheart. "

 

"Me and my brother had an oscar and piranha back then. One day, he decided to add a baby snakehead. at first we were worried because the oscar and piranha never stops chasing him. But when it reached maturity he ate all the piranha and Oscar! The last oscar was brutally eaten because it's was bigger than the others. I was so disheartened. After that we started feeding it lizards,mice and frogs. Before my uncle decides to take it away."

 

My point is that if we already dump everything from lmb, hybrids, stripers, smb, brown trout, peacock bass, etc... in any old body of water we decide needs better game fish opportunities, how much worse are snake heads? It is in fact no different.  

 

You want to post videos of snake heads feeding, do a you tube search of smb and lmb feeding, not much different other then one has teeth, the other species doesn't have teeth.

 

You probably want Florida to kill off Peacock Bass I bet, don't you?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pylodictis said:

 

My point is that if we already dump everything from lmb, hybrids, stripers, smb, brown trout, peacock bass, etc... in any old body of water we decide needs better game fish opportunities, how much worse are snake heads? It is in fact no different.  

 

You want to post videos of snake heads feeding, do a you tube search of smb and lmb feeding, not much different other then one has teeth, the other species doesn't have teeth.

 

You probably want Florida to kill off Peacock Bass I bet, don't you?????

No different?   In fact?  You know for a fact?   LOL!  And you say that all the biologists and ecologists are speculating?  You are the one speculating my friend :).

 

Show me a video of a lmb ripping other fish in half.

Show me a video of a lmb killing other fish just because they didn't like them.  They are very territorial and will strike anything that goes near them.  That's what snakeheads do.

Show me a video of a lmb crawling on land.

They grow and reproduce quickly (Snakeheads reach reproductive age by 2 or 3, mate 5 times a year, and lay 15,000 eggs at a time)
They create strong competition for resources(eat other predatory fishes prey faster, also take over their natural environment)
They lack natural predators in new environment (Snakehead is a toplevel predator, they only have threats in africa and asia)

They eat constantly.  These things are always hungry.

 

Carrying Capacity - Involves the use of resources, and represents how much of each species the environment can support. Species reach carrying capacity in order to sustain the balance of the environment, but with no checks for invasive species, they lack a carrying capacity and start destroying the environment.
Autotrophs - the producers of a system, they take in only inorganic nutrients to create organic ones for the Heterotrophes to feed on. Though they are not the direct prey of Snakeheads, and would seem to have a better chance of surviving since Snakeheads eat fish that consume them, the Snakeheads will resort to eating out the vegetation population once it has eliminated other food sources. After all, vegetation does make up 30% of their diet even when not pressured to consume it.
Hereotrophes - these are the consumers that need the organics autotrophes provide. This includes both the herbivores that take directly from the autotrphes, and the carnivores that eat those to indirectly gain the energy. Snakeheads act as predators to nearly all the species in the aquatic environments it takes over, including bass, trout, frogs, pike, perch, etc. including many endangered species.
Those that it does not consume, it creates an environment lacking energy, since it eats the majority of producers and the primary and secondary consumers, preventing later consumers from retrieving energy

 

Again, my point is that we should not freely dump snakeheads into bodies of water so that we have better game fish opportunities We should error on the side of caution. I said nothing about killing off Peacock Bass.

 

Obviously we disagree, but please don't dump snakesheads into the Allegheny River for your enjoyment! 

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.14.43 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, reflection said:

No different?   In fact?  You know for a fact?   LOL!  And you say that all the biologists and ecologists are speculating?  You are the one speculating my friend :).

 

Show me a video of a lmb ripping other fish in half.

Show me a video of a lmb killing other fish just because they didn't like them.  They are very territorial and will strike anything that goes near them.  That's what snakeheads do.

Show me a video of a lmb crawling on land.

They grow and reproduce quickly (Snakeheads reach reproductive age by 2 or 3, mate 5 times a year, and lay 15,000 eggs at a time)
They create strong competition for resources(eat other predatory fishes prey faster, also take over their natural environment)
They lack natural predators in new environment (Snakehead is a toplevel predator, they only have threats in africa and asia)

They eat constantly.  These things are always hungry.

 

Carrying Capacity - Involves the use of resources, and represents how much of each species the environment can support. Species reach carrying capacity in order to sustain the balance of the environment, but with no checks for invasive species, they lack a carrying capacity and start destroying the environment.
Autotrophs - the producers of a system, they take in only inorganic nutrients to create organic ones for the Heterotrophes to feed on. Though they are not the direct prey of Snakeheads, and would seem to have a better chance of surviving since Snakeheads eat fish that consume them, the Snakeheads will resort to eating out the vegetation population once it has eliminated other food sources. After all, vegetation does make up 30% of their diet even when not pressured to consume it.
Hereotrophes - these are the consumers that need the organics autotrophes provide. This includes both the herbivores that take directly from the autotrphes, and the carnivores that eat those to indirectly gain the energy. Snakeheads act as predators to nearly all the species in the aquatic environments it takes over, including bass, trout, frogs, pike, perch, etc. including many endangered species.
Those that it does not consume, it creates an environment lacking energy, since it eats the majority of producers and the primary and secondary consumers, preventing later consumers from retrieving energy

 

Again, my point is that we should not freely dump snakeheads into bodies of water so that we have better game fish opportunities We should error on the side of caution. I said nothing about killing off Peacock Bass.

 

Obviously we disagree, but please don't dump snakesheads into the Allegheny River for your enjoyment! 

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.14.43 PM.png

 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, reflection said:

 

So are you implying that all the state governments and federal governments are colluding and have an ulterior motive?  Or is that pure speculation? 

 

Snakeheads are known around the world to be very invasive (I could list all the links but you will just reject them).  You can't just drop snakeheads into ponds and lakes and rivers and do a study to see what their effects were.  They may blend in very well or they may devastate the ecosystem.  Each ecosystem are different.  If they mess up the ecosystem, it's too late to remove them.  I'm sure other species have disrupted ecosystems in the past, but that does not make it right.  One has to error on the side of caution instead of making bold statements like, "if we introduced lmb, then introducing snakeheads is okay".

 

The Potomac is a fish factory and has not been hampered by Snakeheads, but that doesn't mean that other fisheries are as resilient.

 

Honestly it boggles my mind why you take this stance.  Even if we take out all the hundreds of public warnings and recommendations.  Even if you have some beef against the DNR or the media.  Even if you don't like tree huggers.  Or you want to get back at those who introduced LMB or those who killed your rosyside dace.  Why would you want to introduce a known voracious predator into a delicate fishery without knowing the consequences?  Why would you not error on the side of caution?

 

 

 

I believe this conversation is over as you have already agreed with my points based on the above highlighted statement; you have also rendered all further discussions regarding snakeheads as being a threat null and void by your own admission. 

 

If they are not a threat to waterways where they currently exist, it is easily deducible that they would not pose a threat to other similar water systems were they may become introduced. There are too many predators that predate on snakeheads for them to ever get out of control. I would also not say that snakeheads are a true top level predator, they are in the same category as lmb, smb, and walleye, they are a medium sized predators and their young are nothing more then fish food for ever bass in proximity; they are hardly apex in any diverse body of water that also holds fish such as musky, blue cats over 30in, and flathead catfish (the later of which could eat a 10lb snakehead like as if it were a mere donut to Homer Simpson).

Edited by Pylodictis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

If they are not a threat to waterways where they currently exist, it is easily deducible that they would not pose a threat to other similar water systems were they may become introduced.

Some friendly advice Pylodictis:

1. Stop speculating.  Each ecosystem is different so you should not make unfounded assumptions that it's okay to spread snakeheads to other ecosystems.

2. Don't dump snakeheads in the Allegheny River.  Not only is it irresponsible, it is very ILLEGAL!!!

3. Stop encouraging others to break the law by asking them to dump snakeheads in the Allegheny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reflection said:

 

Some friendly advice Pylodictis:

1. Stop speculating.  Each ecosystem is different so you should not make unfounded assumptions that it's okay to spread snakeheads to other ecosystems.

2. Don't dump snakeheads in the Allegheny River.  Not only is it irresponsible, it is very ILLEGAL!!!

3. Stop encouraging others to break the law by asking them to dump snakeheads in the Allegheny!

Here is advice for you:

 

1. You were the one speculating and basing your ideas on the speculations of others that you happened to read on the internet. My points were simple: enjoy the snakehead if you have it in the waterways where you fish, it is not any worse to an ecosystem that is already loaded with non native/invasive species, and pious anglers like you that cry about the damage a snakehead with do to native fish are full of crap hypocrites.

 

2. I would love it if snakeheads were dumped in the Allegheny, but I wouldn't do it myself and I never said I would do it myself. Personally, I would rather see blue catfish reintroduced to the Allegheny as the are a native fish to the Allegheny.

 

3. I can't control what others do.

 

Bonus: Funny to see you go from saying how bad snakeheads are in the waterways they were introduced to changing the subject when you were called out about it and now you seem to be stuck on blabbing on about the Allegheny. How the heck did this happen, unless it means you realize you have no legs to stand on at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reflect on this reflection, you cried about the plight of the native species in places like the Chesapeake tidal waters.

 

I pointed out what the real native species of that river are and if you truly cared about them you would demand that all non native fish be destroyed when caught so as to take pressure off the true native fish.

 

You never, not once, had anything to say.

 

You could not stand behind the basis of your argument because you do not, nor did you ever, care about the true native species in those rivers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

Bonus: Funny to see you go from saying how bad snakeheads are in the waterways they were introduced to changing the subject when you were called out about it and now you seem to be stuck on blabbing on about the Allegheny. How the heck did this happen

Don't act surprised when you are the one who openly requested that others blatantly break the law and dump snakeheads into the Allegheny:

On 3/26/2017 at 10:44 AM, Pylodictis said:

Wish people would dump them in the Allegheny so I didn't have to go to MD to fish for them.

 

29 minutes ago, Pylodictis said:

I pointed out what the real native species of that river are and if you truly cared about them you would demand that all non native fish be destroyed when caught so as to take pressure off the true native fish.

 

You never, not once, had anything to say.

 

You could not stand behind the basis of your argument because you do not, nor did you ever, care about the true native species in those rivers. 

Dude, you are really reaching LOL.  I never replied to that because it was such a stupid argument.  It's still a stupid argument but I'll tell you a secret:  You can't undo the past.  So why would I or anyone demand to murder / destroy / eradicate fish species that have already been "balanced" out in an ecosystem?   We are talking about not spreading snakeheads to other ecosystems (hint: think future).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, reflection said:

Don't act surprised when you are the one who openly requested that others blatantly break the law and dump snakeheads into the Allegheny:

 

Dude, you are really reaching LOL.  I never replied to that because it was such a stupid argument.  It's still a stupid argument but I'll tell you a secret:  You can't undo the past.  So why would I or anyone demand to murder / destroy / eradicate fish species that have already been "balanced" out in an ecosystem?   We are talking about not spreading snakeheads to other ecosystems (hint: think future).

There is no reaching.

 

But, going off the "past is the past" statement, why are you concerned about snakeheads living in places like the Potomac or Florida? Seems based on this new argument of yours, why would you want to murder/destroy/eradicate snakeheads which you implied are balenced via you statement that they "are not hampering" the Potomac.

 

And, we were talking about snakeheads in the Chesapeake tidal waters if you missed the first few pages of the thread.

 

And, you have continued to demonstrated that you do not give a crap about the true native fish in said waters. You basically openly admited that the current invasive species should be allowed to continue to live because what more damage could they do? Right? I mean who really cares if white catfish or some stupid eastern hognose suckers ever reach their former population densities. We know you don't care. Wasn't the plight of the native fish your original arguement?

 

And, you have yet again tried to change the direction of the discussion after realizing you have nothing to stand on.

Edited by Pylodictis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.