3 things I learn from a RISSA seminar about fishing togs

Rate this topic

foxfai

I saw through one of the seminars about catching blackfish.

1) Don't go blackfishing when it's blowing east for a day or two. Wait at least 2 days after the blow.

2) Don't go blackfishing a day after it rains. Wait a day. The salinity of the water changes and shuts down the bite.

3) Togs have poor eye site. When using traditional rig, togs tends to be curious when they feel the sinker and bite less aggressively. On the other hand if you use jigs, they won't feel the sinker dragging and bite more aggressive.

Anyone not agree with this?

I saw through one of the seminars about catching blackfish.

1) Don't go blackfishing when it's blowing east for a day or two. Wait at least 2 days after the blow.

2) Don't go blackfishing a day after it rains. Wait a day. The salinity of the water changes and shuts down the bite.

3) Togs have poor eye site. When using traditional rig, togs tends to be curious when they feel the sinker and bite less aggressively. On the other hand if you use jigs, they won't feel the sinker dragging and bite more aggressive.

Anyone not agree with this?

I disagree with all three :wave:

Blackfishing when it blows from the east can be outstanding - and the day after can be outstanding - and two days after can be outstanding. Unless this seminar it talking about a specific area - like north shore of Long Island or Great South Bay or some other microcosm, I wouldn't consider it to be good advice. Yes, if it blows like a hurricane with 10-15ft waves from the east, blackfishing will suffer as the bottom gets stirred up - but just blowing from the east does not inherently produce poor blackfishing in any of the place I've fished for blackfish.

Don't blackfish when it rains? Again, unless this is referring to a very specific area - like in 15ft of water right on the beach near an outflow - or an area of a bay with lots of outflow pipes nearby - it's untrue for general blackfishing. Never seen the rain affect them in the ocean proper. I guess if you are fishing right in the outflow of Raritan Bay heavy, prolonged rains could negatively affect the fishing during an outgoing tide. But, as a general rule of thumb, never seen the rain affect them...then again, I don't fish in the bay or near the mouth of the bay.

Eyesight? This one is factually and scientifically incorrect. Blackfish have excellent eyesight - their vision is their primary feeding tool. They see their food before they inspect it closer and eventually decide whether they should eat it or not. Big blackfish don't bite things, they eat things. They don't nibble - if they can fit it in their mouths they fit it in their mouths. Just so happens they can fit a jig in their mouth which makes it easier for people to hook them. They aren't biting the jig more aggressively - they are putting the jig in their mouth - something they can't do with a sinker/hook rig. It has nothing to do with their eyesight and everything to do with the mechanics of feeding.

***Just realized this is from RISAA - meaning Rhode Island - that means my comments about the first two - the east wind and the rain - I have no idea...my experience is primarily the NY Bight...I've only caught blackfish from shore in Rhode Island..and never in the rain. It's entirely possible that east wind/rain can negatively affect the tog bite in RI - it doesn't in NJ but RI is an entirely different world :b:

Doesn't change the eyesight thing - that remains to be entirely untrue - I've raised blackfish in a tank, studied them while snorkeling and read every bit of actual research about them ever published - they have excellent eyesight - it is their primary feeding tool - they are known to be visual feeders.

TimS 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

I disagree with all three :wave:

Blackfishing when it blows from the east can be outstanding - and the day after can be outstanding - and two days after can be outstanding. Unless this seminar it talking about a specific area - like north shore of Long Island or Great South Bay or some other microcosm, I wouldn't consider it to be good advice. Yes, if it blows like a hurricane with 10-15ft waves from the east, blackfishing will suffer as the bottom gets stirred up - but just blowing from the east does not inherently produce poor blackfishing in any of the place I've fished for blackfish.

Don't blackfish when it rains? Again, unless this is referring to a very specific area - like in 15ft of water right on the beach near an outflow - or an area of a bay with lots of outflow pipes nearby - it's untrue for general blackfishing. Never seen the rain affect them in the ocean proper. I guess if you are fishing right in the outflow of Raritan Bay heavy, prolonged rains could negatively affect the fishing during an outgoing tide. But, as a general rule of thumb, never seen the rain affect them...then again, I don't fish in the bay or near the mouth of the bay.

Eyesight? This one is factually and scientifically incorrect. Blackfish have excellent eyesight - their vision is their primary feeding tool. They see their food before they inspect it closer and eventually decide whether they should eat it or not. Big blackfish don't bite things, they eat things. They don't nibble - if they can fit it in their mouths they fit it in their mouths. Just so happens they can fit a jig in their mouth which makes it easier for people to hook them. They aren't biting the jig more aggressively - they are putting the jig in their mouth - something they can't do with a sinker/hook rig. It has nothing to do with their eyesight and everything to do with the mechanics of feeding.

***Just realized this is from RISAA - meaning Rhode Island - that means my comments about the first two - the east wind and the rain - I have no idea...my experience is primarily the NY Bight...I've only caught blackfish from shore in Rhode Island..and never in the rain. It's entirely possible that east wind/rain can negatively affect the tog bite in RI - it doesn't in NJ but RI is an entirely different world :b:

Doesn't change the eyesight thing - that remains to be entirely untrue - I've raised blackfish in a tank, studied them while snorkeling and read every bit of actual research about them ever published - they have excellent eyesight - it is their primary feeding tool - they are known to be visual feeders.

TimS 

The captain said he fished from Maine all the way down to Carolina. So he is referring to most of east coast and not a specific area.

He mention that he was speaking with a marine biologist and he was told that when the salinity changes and the blackfish don't like it.

I don't defend what he said. I've caught fish while it's raining. Not sure about east wind.

The captain said he fished from Maine all the way down to Carolina. So he is referring to most of east coast and not a specific area.

He mention that he was speaking with a marine biologist and he was told that when the salinity changes and the blackfish don't like it.

I don't defend what he said. I've caught fish while it's raining. Not sure about east wind.

^^^That's what happens when people talk to biologists instead of personal experience. Not saying the biologist was wrong - blackfish may very well not like salinity changes. Just saying that rain doesn't change the ocean's salinity enough to make any difference. Runoff, in extreme circumstances in very near shore or shallow spots or bay with a ton of outflows leading into them - it's possible. But not in the ocean proper - at least not anywhere in the ocean I've togged. I've caught them in pouring rain, after pouring rain, etc, etc.

The east wind thing, that's another one I've never seen shut down the blackfish - like I said, not unless it was a huge storm that stirred up the bottom...some very memorable days of blackfishing for me were in east winds - I remember because there are two wrecks I love that a wind from the east gives me the best angle to double anchor and fish this little corner that I love :drool:

One thing you'll find the more and longer you fish - when people say always and never in regards to when fish will feed or won't feed, take it with a grain of salt :idea: I wouldn't stay home from toggin because it rained yesterday and I wouldn't stay home if it was fishable and blowing from the east. Then again, if you DID stay home when it rained or blew from the east, I promise that you would think the blackfish never bit in those conditions ;)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

It's amazing how much terrible info is out there lol. Thank you Tim for taking the reins on this one. Clearly anyone can give a seminar these days.

Btw tog usually chew their balls off in the east it's usually just to nasty to fish it.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

Glad other people chimed in. 

I only do shore tog fishing and still baffled about how they eat and when they want to eat. Some days I think they will be there but nothing bites with 5 rods down the water.

Guess I'll just have to go and enjoy fishing them like I always do.

Glad other people chimed in.

I only do shore tog fishing and still baffled about how they eat and when they want to eat. Some days I think they will be there but nothing bites with 5 rods down the water.

Guess I'll just have to go and enjoy fishing them like I always do.

Your fishing 5 rods?

Your fishing 5 rods?

Two on bait usually. Then probably throw a lure in between while waiting. Friend will have 2 rod baiting also. 

Too excessive? This is from shore. 4 bait rods will be spread out on a jetty..... no body around to fight for spot tho :)

The comment about rain and ocean salinity is unbelievable. i prob would have walked out at that point.

Id of held the door for you. Some stuff these lectures go into is off the BS meter.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.