zcoker

Sharky Weekend

155 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, zcoker said:

Aww Costa Rica...been there many, many times! Love it down there.

I use 20/0 Catch-All circle hooks on all my big Senators, no J hooks. Sometimes 24/0 circles (only for Tiger Sharks) but I do not recommend those for other sharks because the shank is so long which makes it very difficult to remove the hook. Tigers have a BIG head with lots of room to work with. Looks like you are fishing that rod from a boat? If so, make sure you remove ALL barbs from hooks regardless. Makes it very easy to remove hook, no matter brand.

Can put a lot of effort and attention into catching big shark but need to put as much effort and attention into what to do AFTER catching big shark. 

I'd recommend about 3ft #19 wire as bite leader, no cable. Reason is, you can't easily cut cable like you can wire if required. Again, gotta think about the aftermath. 400lb mono after bite leader is adequate. Want at least 10ft. If you plan on catching larger sharks, go with longer mono leader....what you are after is a leader setup longer than the fish you are targeting. You use the heavier mono so as to leader fish, not so much for anything else. I'd recommend crimping all connections and use stainless thimbles and use swivels with eyes large enough to accommodate the thimbles so as to allow free movement with no lock-up. Thimbles "spread" when clamped down with line and if eye of swivel is too small (may appear perfect beforehand) thimble will lock inside swivel eye and not move freely. I also double crimp mainline to leader swivel but I use plastic thimble instead, no knots....although knots do work just don't recommend with big game shark fishing.

Also have handy a good dehooker, wire cutters and bolt cutters as well as gloves.

Happy hunting! Take some pics and let me know how things turn out. Best of luck to you...and be safe!!!

Thank you very much ""I hope I get one" but you know it's fishing 

On 12/3/2017 at 10:37 AM, zcoker said:

Aww Costa Rica...been there many, many times! Love it down there.

I use 20/0 Catch-All circle hooks on all my big Senators, no J hooks. Sometimes 24/0 circles (only for Tiger Sharks) but I do not recommend those for other sharks because the shank is so long which makes it very difficult to remove the hook. Tigers have a BIG head with lots of room to work with. Looks like you are fishing that rod from a boat? If so, make sure you remove ALL barbs from hooks regardless. Makes it very easy to remove hook, no matter brand.

Can put a lot of effort and attention into catching big shark but need to put as much effort and attention into what to do AFTER catching big shark. 

I'd recommend about 3ft #19 wire as bite leader, no cable. Reason is, you can't easily cut cable like you can wire if required. Again, gotta think about the aftermath. 400lb mono after bite leader is adequate. Want at least 10ft. If you plan on catching larger sharks, go with longer mono leader....what you are after is a leader setup longer than the fish you are targeting. You use the heavier mono so as to leader fish, not so much for anything else. I'd recommend crimping all connections and use stainless thimbles and use swivels with eyes large enough to accommodate the thimbles so as to allow free movement with no lock-up. Thimbles "spread" when clamped down with line and if eye of swivel is too small (may appear perfect beforehand) thimble will lock inside swivel eye and not move freely. I also double crimp mainline to leader swivel but I use plastic thimble instead, no knots....although knots do work just don't recommend with big game shark fishing.

Also have handy a good dehooker, wire cutters and bolt cutters as well as gloves.

Happy hunting! Take some pics and let me know how things turn out. Best of luck to you...and be safe!!!

Catch All Tackle makes excellent big game hooks for sharks. The hooks are extremely sharp and keep their point even after multple hook ups. I also like the leader material from Catch All Tackle too, I get their aluminum and brass crimps, their heavy mono (I make my bite leaders out of the 600lb mono they sell) and I use 400lb mono for the abrasion leader from them. What they sell is also priced really well.,

I have used the 16/0 circles myself and found them to be a good general purpose size for what I tend to do. I also agree, mash the barbs down, you don't loose any fish, and the hook is easily popped right out of the sharks mouth. Safer for us and safer for the shark.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:25 PM, zcoker said:

HOLY HAMMER! Couldn't even get this one in the camera frame :eek:

imageedit_2_9209632463.jpg.76d41abd321e46620a5ecb66c3c4ab1b.jpg

That is huge!  Did you get a length measurement?

10 hours ago, z-man said:

That is huge!  Did you get a length measurement?

No measurement....gotta be quick with hammers to get them back into the water. If I had to guess, 14+ 

So, here we go with another sharky adventure, this time plastered all over the news as well as social media. ALL the local news channels in Palm Beach County are having a field day becasue of this catch and release of a 13 foot hammerhead shark. How ironic that National Geographic happened to be sitting right out there in a boat where I was fishing with some nut-case chic screaming and yapping, who I later come to find out frequents the area to dive and film sharks for NetGeo....feeding them, yes, attracting them, and, yes, altering their normal nocturnal habits for their own publication glory....

This whole scene should've played out the other way, in my opinion, with the networks promoting a positive encounter of catch and release instead of a one sided greased up witch hunt. FWC has very specific guidelines that were followed quite well, in my opinion, with this particular fish....as well as with all my fish. In any case, this particular shark swam off and there is no evidence of a dead shark, which they are all waiting for with their claws out LoL.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/possible-shark-abuse-caught-on-camera

5a80570743332_PhotoFeb0892711AM.thumb.jpg.468930fa8501e9035d230210a40cb104.jpg

5a8057240cbcf_PhotoFeb0892608AM.thumb.jpg.47c789551d50af8e711f28205ecb1c97.jpg

5a805740c8ce2_PhotoFeb0892612AM.thumb.jpg.adaa75856382b9edb75592cb090667f6.jpg

5a80575029d07_PhotoFeb0892625AM.thumb.jpg.72a00a1e45a7a0a6b975c3f7e4ded21c.jpg

Another interesting catch 9 food Sand Tiger!!!...very rare for Florida waters

IMG_1169.jpg.ef0a640dc88405e06aef28e95ab0fa40.jpg

Of course, got a lot of bulls on spinning gear...all about the same size here

IMG_1093.jpg.3f1312099baa4f5f477a6302f7d52868.jpg

As usual with all sharks, ALL released as fast and as safely as possible. All sharks tagged for NOAA.

As an aside, remember that shark fishing is NOT ILLEGAL here in Florida as the media sometimes plays it up to be.

Promoting safe release is as follows:

Have the correct gear! Do not skimp on gear -- you want to bring the fish in as fast a possible or as green as possible with no break-offs. If you cannot afford the correct gear, don't fish for sharks!

Have a well experienced team around, people who KNOW how to handle big sharks. Do dry-runs, rehearsals. NO FEAR.

Have ready at all times the TOOLS necessary for a quick release: bolt cutters, de-hookers, etc. Waste no time de-hooking. If cannot remove hook, cut it. And if no tools around, just cut the line. Do not attempt to bring shark up on beach with no way to release it just for a picture. FWC says that measuring and photos can only be done "during the active release process".

FWC rules state that the shark must be left in as much water as possible "while maintaining the safety of the angler and those nearby". If deep gut, bring up higher onto the lapping wash to de-hook. Do not get in the deep rolling gut with a big pissed off thrashing shark!

After de-hooking, drag shark back into water by tail, turn sideways and slowly aim fish outward open ocean and then give her a good shove off. Sometimes this has to be done a number of times because of the wave conditions. Sometime as well it may be required to swim with fish until she perks up and then do the swim-off procedure. Always be aware during this process that the fish being released is in a "target condition" , meaning that other sharks nearby could attack. That's way I always recommend staying on the beach-side of the fish being released so as to have a sort of barrier in case another shark attacks, especially on dark nights!

There's no way one can predict what size and kind of shark will hit a bait, so be ready at ALL times and NEVER assume that just because you are on a very busy beach with lots of boat traffic amid a beautiful Florida day that you will catch easy-peazy fish LoL.

I hope nothing comes of the media out cry following your catch and release of the hammerhead zcoker. Hopefully the mess will just blow over and you won't hear from anyone about it, especially the FWC. Hopefully you don't end up being featured in a Nat Geo magazine article or documentary either.

I agree that a lot of these researchers that actually dive with sharks and feed them promote unnatural and unsafe habits for sharks as sharks learn to associate humans with free meals. We are told not to feed bears in the wild, why is it different for sharks?

You have always done and excellent job of showing how catch and release of these sharks can be performed safely and effectively for both the shark and the anglers. Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures and, as always thanks for all the information you willingly and freely share about how to properly target these fish.

Its pretty clear your practicing ethical catch and release when you target these sharks. Nice fish and good release. :howdy: 

On 2/11/2018 at 0:18 PM, zcoker said:

So, here we go with another sharky adventure, this time plastered all over the news as well as social media. ALL the local news channels in Palm Beach County are having a field day becasue of this catch and release of a 13 foot hammerhead shark. How ironic that National Geographic happened to be sitting right out there in a boat where I was fishing with some nut-case chic screaming and yapping, who I later come to find out frequents the area to dive and film sharks for NetGeo....feeding them, yes, attracting them, and, yes, altering their normal nocturnal habits for their own publication glory....

This whole scene should've played out the other way, in my opinion, with the networks promoting a positive encounter of catch and release instead of a one sided greased up witch hunt. FWC has very specific guidelines that were followed quite well, in my opinion, with this particular fish....as well as with all my fish. In any case, this particular shark swam off and there is no evidence of a dead shark, which they are all waiting for with their claws out LoL.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/possible-shark-abuse-caught-on-camera

As usual with all sharks, ALL released as fast and as safely as possible. All sharks tagged for NOAA.

As an aside, remember that shark fishing is NOT ILLEGAL here in Florida as the media sometimes plays it up to be.

Promoting safe release is as follows:

Have the correct gear! Do not skimp on gear -- you want to bring the fish in as fast a possible or as green as possible with no break-offs. If you cannot afford the correct gear, don't fish for sharks!

Have a well experienced team around, people who KNOW how to handle big sharks. Do dry-runs, rehearsals. NO FEAR.

Have ready at all times the TOOLS necessary for a quick release: bolt cutters, de-hookers, etc. Waste no time de-hooking. If cannot remove hook, cut it. And if no tools around, just cut the line. Do not attempt to bring shark up on beach with no way to release it just for a picture. FWC says that measuring and photos can only be done "during the active release process".

FWC rules state that the shark must be left in as much water as possible "while maintaining the safety of the angler and those nearby". If deep gut, bring up higher onto the lapping wash to de-hook. Do not get in the deep rolling gut with a big pissed off thrashing shark!

After de-hooking, drag shark back into water by tail, turn sideways and slowly aim fish outward open ocean and then give her a good shove off. Sometimes this has to be done a number of times because of the wave conditions. Sometime as well it may be required to swim with fish until she perks up and then do the swim-off procedure. Always be aware during this process that the fish being released is in a "target condition" , meaning that other sharks nearby could attack. That's way I always recommend staying on the beach-side of the fish being released so as to have a sort of barrier in case another shark attacks, especially on dark nights!

There's no way one can predict what size and kind of shark will hit a bait, so be ready at ALL times and NEVER assume that just because you are on a very busy beach with lots of boat traffic amid a beautiful Florida day that you will catch easy-peazy fish LoL.

Wow crazy story. I don't know much about the topic but always wondered what I would do if I caught a shark that shouldn't be taken out of water, didn't know and then got it back in ASAP. I guess do your best to get the shark back asap. To me that lady is crazy, I've seen your posts, you are experienced. I can see her reaction if the person catching it was killing it on the beach or had the shark out of water for 10+ minutes playing with it but from what I see she was out of line and so was the news.

A lot of people think that we shark fishermen "target" these endangered fish, that we have some sort of secret bait that catches them. Truth is, one never knows what's going to hit a bait. Sure, it can be guessed at based off what baits running, etc. Like if blues are running, chances are high that the sharks will hit them. But that's not always the case, either. I've had blues/jacks all over the place with sharks all over the place and the sharks would touch neither. I can only stand by this statement: be ready for ANYTHING! Shark fishing is a PACKAGE DEAL and requires a LOT of skill and know-how. It's not something that can be taken lightly as YouTube and the likes implies....it's serious business. In the case of the giant hammer here, it was in the surf zone in 30 minutes and from surf to release took 2 minutes, which is excellent. FWC has on their website a publication called Shark Smart Fishing which I recommend be read and memorized by anyone thinking of getting into this sport...or who already is in this sport....maybe even a refresher for some. 

As for the firestorm surrounding this one shark, which is coast to coast all over the country, here is a statement released today by the FWC:

Media statement:

Preliminary information and a full review of the video that has been provided to law enforcement indicates that the anglers followed best practices and guidelines while releasing the shark and no violation of state law occurred. If any member of the public has additional information about this incident, we encourage them to contact our Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922.”

On 2/12/2018 at 11:58 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I hope nothing comes of the media out cry following your catch and release of the hammerhead zcoker. Hopefully the mess will just blow over and you won't hear from anyone about it, especially the FWC. Hopefully you don't end up being featured in a Nat Geo magazine article or documentary either.

I agree that a lot of these researchers that actually dive with sharks and feed them promote unnatural and unsafe habits for sharks as sharks learn to associate humans with free meals. We are told not to feed bears in the wild, why is it different for sharks?

You have always done and excellent job of showing how catch and release of these sharks can be performed safely and effectively for both the shark and the anglers. Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures and, as always thanks for all the information you willingly and freely share about how to properly target these fish.

Read my last post up...media statement from FWC.

What gets me with all this is that a lot of people are afraid of sharks else a lot of people hate sharks....but they sure and the hell LOVE them when some media storm like this comes along! And the media is so one side, too. Well, I'm not putting up with it anymore. Too many shark fishermen run and hide when the lime light is cast upon them....and I can certainly understand why.

But not anymore...not me LoL Putting my food down on this one. Shark fishing is LEGAL. Can happen on ANY beach below the mean tide line. And if ya happen to catch an endangered fish, FWC has specific guidelines to help expedite its release. And as long as one adheres to those guidelines (like in the case of the star hammerhead LoL), and even if ya got a ton of people filming ya, no one can do ANYTHING to you! I have been in direct contact with CBS 12 and have arranged to do a LIVE interview related to shark fishing. Was gonna happen today but got side tracked by some crazy school shooting down in Broward County, so the film crew had to head south. My intentions are to stand up for this sport. If we don't, gonna crash around us, won't be any place left to fish.

Posted (edited)

10 mins ago, zcoker said:

Read my last post up...media statement from FWC.

What gets me with all this is that a lot of people are afraid of sharks else a lot of people hate sharks....but they sure and the hell LOVE them when some media storm like this comes along! And the media is so one side, too. Well, I'm not putting up with it anymore. Too many shark fishermen run and hide when the lime light is cast upon them....and I can certainly understand why.

But not anymore...not me LoL Putting my food down on this one. Shark fishing is LEGAL. Can happen on ANY beach below the mean tide line. And if ya happen to catch an endangered fish, FWC has specific guidelines to help expedite its release. And as long as one adheres to those guidelines (like in the case of the star hammerhead LoL), and even if ya got a ton of people filming ya, no one can do ANYTHING to you! I have been in direct contact with CBS 12 and have arranged to do a LIVE interview related to shark fishing. Was gonna happen today but got side tracked by some crazy school shooting down in Broward County, so the film crew had to head south. My intentions are to stand up for this sport. If we don't, gonna crash around us, won't be any place left to fish.

Good on you. :howdy:

Edited by Sandbar1

Z,

In my opinion, you are actually helping with the preservation of these important species with all the tagging you do, not to mention the information you provide to other fishermen who may decide to pursue this challenge.

And, it is obvious that this story on CBS12.com is slanted against a legal activity.

Some questions for thought, I hope:

How come the Nat Geo woman is not identified by name in the story?

Why did they (CBS12.com) erroneously state that you broke the law but not cutting the line?

Why the hell didn't they research the regs/facts before calling you a criminal?

Why don't you demand a correction of this misstatement by them?

This is the problem with society today, most everyone has an agenda and few of these folks are willing to let facts get in the way of their opinions.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Z,

In my opinion, you are actually helping with the preservation of these important species with all the tagging you do, not to mention the information you provide to other fishermen who may decide to pursue this challenge.

And, it is obvious that this story on CBS12.com is slanted against a legal activity.

Some questions for thought, I hope:

How come the Nat Geo woman is not identified by name in the story?

Why did they (CBS12.com) erroneously state that you broke the law but not cutting the line?

Why the hell didn't they research the regs/facts before calling you a criminal?

Why don't you demand a correction of this misstatement by them?

This is the problem with society today, most everyone has an agenda and few of these folks are willing to let facts get in the way of their opinions.

Keep doing what you are doing.

My take on this shark story: we crashed that gals party LoL That shark was BAITED long before we baited it that morning on that beach. They were diving out there, feeding their pets, doing what they do for NetGeo. They show up in full wetsuits, screaming and yapping. Come on, no big hammer is going to come around in twenty five feet of water in broad daylight with boats zooming ALL over the place, no bait around, water crystal clear...unless...unless...unless it is CONDITIONED to hang around in that area. We were in no way expecting BIG HAMMERS but blacktips to tag, naturally, because it is the time of their annual migration. That's why we put the baits out so close, maybe 50 - 75 yards at the most.

In any case, and to try and answer you questions, CBS knows nothing of the shark fishing laws. Again, they presumed or assumed this or that based on a one sided account. They did not research the regs becasue there simply was no TIME before air time. They do, however, realize their mistake thus the reason they want to do a full story with me. It all comes down to what makes NEWS, sensationalism...Mr. Trump speaks to us a lot about this FAKE NEWS crap....a perfect example here.

Everything this gal is saying is BS. I have time stamped photos that show that shark out of the water for 2 minutes! That is amazing. Hell, I've taken longer on frigging blacktips! And it only took thirty minutes to get that big gal in! Their was NO chumming or blood baiting as she so implies. Heck, we had throughout the whole event a frigging police officer who we even used to help us out! I have the whole Singer Island Police Department saying to come and fish their island anytime and, as far as they are concerned, it was the most amazing catch and release that they have ever seen. Surely, surely, if we were chumming or doing anything ILLEGAL, then the word POLICE or LAW means nothing LoL.

Here's when the yapping boat shows up, note the FULL WETSUIT of the DIVER. I'm in the red shorts working like hell to cut the hook out of the shark's mouth. They had been anchored out there long before but we paid them no mind becasue they were stationary.

IMG_1181.JPG.9570bedcb692e9013e37d96e686f9b56.JPG

And here's the cop LoL who held the rod while we ran over to leader the fish...in black white POLICE lettering....you can see the bulge of his gun on his right hip LoL

IMG_1121.jpg.3b6ae0115cfecb007234698eeab0d557.jpg

This whole scene is a perfect example of why shark fishing is so misunderstood. People just don't report things correctly, so one sided, and so misunderstood. I may not be perfect but I sure and the hell try my best to approach this sport like I always preach. Even still, when one is confronted with a big creature like this, it can become daunting and a bit overwhelming and mistakes or errors CAN happen. Regardless, I still feel that this catch/release was EXCELLENT (and so does FWC) and should be used as an example for proper catch release practices for anyone who is into land based shark fishing.

Edited by zcoker