zcoker

Sharky Weekend

Rate this topic

155 posts in this topic

What bait do you think I should use?

Depends on what you are after. If going for med sized near-shore sharks, always try to use what's running, what's there. If bluefish are running, for example, use them. Same with jacks. Most any fresh baits will do the trick but I've always done very well by matching the hatch, same like every other targeted fish. If going for monster sharks, that'll take some planning and know-how. Think whole cownose rays, whole cudas, even whole sharks.....break away rigs and the likes...and big, big gear....not to mention a spotter to keep you planted on dry land!

2 hours ago, zcoker said:

Spinning rod wins again! No harness, no belt...just man and Tiger. Who needs Senators LoL.

Congrats on an amazing catch.

Can't wait to be down there.

How long was the battle?

Just now, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Congrats on an amazing catch.

Can't wait to be down there.

How long was the battle?

Question if I may: Did you cast bait out or drop it off via yak? 

And, were you targeting sharks?

Thanks.

Cheers!

23 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Question if I may: Did you cast bait out or drop it off via yak? 

And, were you targeting sharks?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Dropped via yak for spinning rod....yes, targeting sharks, Tiger Sharks specifically.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:36 PM, zcoker said:

Spinning rod wins again! No harness, no belt...just man and Tiger. Who needs Senators LoL.

IMG_0080.JPG.d1b3ebcaf266b6bf6df62a93b89e53e4.JPG

Unreal!  Good for you

your the best man! 

So I haven't been out a whole lot for sharks in the daytime (been nailing the Tarpon instead) but did go out with the wife for a nice, mellow, daytime, restful, un-eventful and relaxing sunny day :cool:

Got everything setup and then laid back and let the world go by.......

IMG_0235.JPG.ba5f4045e9d27de6cc406a9e0b9dcd9b.JPG

A bit later all relaxed and sleepy-eyed I noticed some activity out in the water....but it wasn't sharks LoL

IMG_0243.JPG.f6e0f9e88adc08c734036d70f226d6c6.JPG

So I turned to show the wife but she was GONE!!! A bit later she showed up on, well, a HORSE! How in the world she pulled that one off, I have no idea. These gals are just full of surprises!!

IMG_0248.JPG.3283bc30d9c8a5bdd7dfb3dd00621a87.JPG

Turtles are hatching with TIGERS on the ready! This Tiger had a small turtle shell stuck between its teeth (on pectoral fin).

IMG_0345.JPG.4fb5f4363be2f7eb1e746d094e15b199.JPG

On 7/17/2017 at 4:36 PM, zcoker said:

IMG_0080.JPG.d1b3ebcaf266b6bf6df62a93b89e53e4.JPG

Yeah!

Is this still on your SSV 10500?

20 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

Yeah!

Is this still on your SSV 10500?

Big Reels for Big Fish! The ssv I just spooled up with 800 yards 65lb....these reels take a TON of line! That's a Stella 6000 for comparison. Big suckers LoL

IMG_0362.JPG.c915497ac1c49db43bed31e75c2dfefc.JPG

13 hours ago, zcoker said:

Big Reels for Big Fish! The ssv I just spooled up with 800 yards 65lb....these reels take a TON of line! That's a Stella 6000 for comparison. Big suckers LoL

IMG_0362.JPG.c915497ac1c49db43bed31e75c2dfefc.JPG

Looks like you got the Slammer 10500 too, beast of a reel.

My rod builder was building a rod around that thing for me and I will be best getting in back today or tommarow with the rod; just in time for a trip to Delaware for sharks.

I had a guy tell me last week that he got spooled while using the SSV 10500 that was fully loaded with 65lb braid, I wanted to call BS on him, but figured I would ask you what you think it would take to spool that bigger sucker? I know my own Slammer 8500s have beat numerous lemons up to the 8ft and 9ft range, haven't hooked into anything bigger yet or more powerful (unless you want to count some of the massive roughtail rays I was catching in OC which I was only able to get one of them up, the others where so much bigger and the moment they got tired they buried themselves, and even with the full 50lbs drag I could not pull them up), but they didn't come close to spooling me with the heat cranked up on the drag.

Edited by Pylodictis

1 hour ago, Pylodictis said:

Looks like you got the Slammer 10500 too, beast of a reel.

My rod builder was building a rod around that thing for me and I will be best getting in back today or tommarow with the rod; just in time for a trip to Delaware for sharks.

I had a guy tell me last week that he got spooled while using the SSV 10500 that was fully loaded with 65lb braid, I wanted to call BS on him, but figured I would ask you what you think it would take to spool that bigger sucker? I know my own Slammer 8500s have beat numerous lemons up to the 8ft and 9ft range, haven't hooked into anything bigger yet or more powerful (unless you want to count some of yhe massive roughtail rays I was catching in OC), but they didn't come close to spooling me with the heat cranked up on the drag.

It would take a whole heck of a lot to get spooled on the ssv 10500 with a casted bait unless the drag setting is just way loose or the person fishing it just has no idea on how to use it. Not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely in experienced hands. Guy you mentioned probably hooked a boat while checking out some hot chic.....had that happen to me :eek:

Now with deeper baits, it's possible (or highly probable) because, well, a lot of line has already been taken off the spool for the drop and also becasue there's sharks out there that are absolute TANKS, even giving the bigger Senators, Avets, etc. a run for the money. I yak big baits on the ssv right alongside my bigger reels and, well, what can I say, suicide fishing LoL.Total insanity! And when that big hit comes on it, the spool practically disappears and it takes a LOT more to get them subdued than just drag pressure and line capacity...on a spinning reel especially....along with a lot of "luck" LoL. 

Edited by zcoker