zcoker

Sharky Weekend

Rate this topic

202 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, zcoker said:

Blacktip Migration toning down but did manage to get into some rod bending action before they thinned out. Met up with friends and we had an epic day at the beach filled with jumping, spinning, and thrashing action. These gals are by far the funnest species to tangle with.....Tarpon on steroids, my friend on SOL calls them LoL. Fun stuff while the run lasted.

 

Started off in the wee hours and got into some late bloomers.

 

IMG_2683.JPG.a2723063a72db79acf4ccbe950a77d97.JPG

 

IMG_2685.JPG.f01e9317ae83ac56110506018458ffe0.JPG

 

Watch that sand at night! Never know what's lurking!

 

IMG_2694.JPG.479bb4365ce938413bdd23bc6d9c6ca4.JPG

 

Then headed off to another spot for the early AM bite.

 

IMG_2687.JPG.71d3e255bf7eacd82842032a6400aeb4.JPG

 

IMG_0468.JPG.1def61fc16c1389c8d9a81e66f59a8f9.JPG

 

IMG_2682.JPG.b42b1d8c04106b81947c37f73d35f474.JPG

 

IMG_0466.JPG.25a5e152b56f3b0c85f96bc60af90a04.JPG

 

IMG_0472.JPG.0ca448ae7ee83b1c8d283ba645fecf76.JPG

 

IMG_0473.JPG.20e4044ca0937bce962fd848e4b12bcf.JPG

 

IMG_0474.JPG.79cb3d07abd0ab41ec77e9839a1a8489.JPG

 

IMG_0475.JPG.565dfe240057893ed724953e7adfcdf9.JPG

 

IMG_0479.JPG.687986caf7a447f7226baca041aebf3a.JPG

 

IMG_0477.JPG.3e7241d02e6433e9996956b023e4c6d5.JPG

 

IMG_0478.JPG.4daef28692c756519de7f054574421da.JPG

 

IMG_2679.JPG.dff20504b9d71bdd5c478dd4e1eda2d5.JPG

 

IMG_2680.JPG.ffbe4dfaa513ac92b755c2a0b0bd9e93.JPG

 

IMG_2681.JPG.9652f862b13934052bc1a5f2fb18641c.JPG

 

IMG_0469.JPG.d9b46b77ca1c168aa72d4a064f399b3b.JPG

 

IMG_0482.JPG.032f135d212e62b88406e6ef5ddd339f.JPG

 

IMG_E2645.JPG.f632d13c9a8ef36dcde9953b613c9b74.JPG

 

IMG_0467.JPG.488ee9a8d1cdee910531a8fb239e51e8.JPG

 

IMG_E2699.JPG.7f35b1020e2d1935f92cbae406e8ea8a.JPG

 

IMG_2696.JPG.f2d2ffb57136cc5609516f98db4fb190.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

That was a good time!  Week of rest and I'll be back.....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing like a big nurse LoL. This one came in like pulling a tank! On a side note: the official IGFA world record nurse shark is 5ft 260lbs. We estimated this one to be over that record by a fair margin. But who's gonna kill her for a world record? Not me! Instead, she was released and swam off with our blessing.

 

IMG_E2820.JPG.f13c084b2cfe347434eb14ad50b246dd.JPG

 

Went out for some bait and ran into a some monster snook. This monster was just sittin around as I glided by, waiting on some food. Lots of big snook around those dock lights.

 

IMG_E2803.JPG.8a2c64122dd4cfee4a9e68e54a688609.JPG

 

IMG_E2804.JPG.c92d65a562a52daebb34fcdeca073fbc.JPG

 

Then, out in the middle of a large bay on a completely submerged sandbar, I was walking around looking for rays when I hear this splashing commotion coming right at me! Next thing I know, a dog practically attacks my yak. Crazy what you bump into on the open water but never expected a friggin dog LoL.

 

IMG_E2796.JPG.2fdf64a4c6cb9acec2c89029b89c3fdd.JPG

 

Few blacktips around but not many. They high tailed it out of my area, gone until next year, gone but not forgotton. Tagged over 30 this season. Just luv to catch them gals!

 

IMG_E2788.JPG.105459cef54f6627a212ebf2736d581d.JPG

 

IMG_E2789.JPG.202c57e52117c8d645d777023d85c32f.JPG

 

This shark came in with some issues.

 

IMG_E2812.JPG.6b6e31be954ad9ff4f0042d57a47db41.JPG

 

First off, another big shark decided to chomp it, almost took it out. Probably a big hammer. They do that.

 

IMG_E2811.JPG.9f8a6a36b57e8b8fad37ffb64ceb8a2e.JPG

 

Next off, it had a big 20/0 circle hook embedded in the right jaw, which I found very interesting. The hook had been in there for quite some time and already started to rust through, probably for years based on the bio growth. Some people actually believe that these hooks rust out in a few weeks LOL. The eye of the hook had already broken off, probably due to outside structure. The area where it was embedded had already rusted deeply and would've broke or crumbled in a few more months or even years. Hard to tell the actual time frame involved but it is, at the very least, a pretty decent historical observation of what actually happens to all those lost hooks!

 

IMG_2835.JPG.51391037cce6b940ba059fb57ee20719.JPG

 

IMG_2836.JPG.9dce40e89269d8bd0e7cd7cdc4cf94c8.JPG

 

IMG_2837.JPG.cc39ff30e60c65148ad3f414b742d430.JPG

 

IMG_2839.JPG.e66e6c23549098f6a2ce0b09e5506dbd.JPG

 

IMG_2838.JPG.45a2da9b98c3d81b8a49b51528522f98.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:24 AM, zcoker said:

Nothing like a big nurse LoL. This one came in like pulling a tank! On a side note: the official IGFA world record nurse shark is 5ft 260lbs. We estimated this one to be over that record by a fair margin. But who's gonna kill her for a world record? Not me! Instead, she was released and swam off with our blessing.

 

IMG_E2820.JPG.f13c084b2cfe347434eb14ad50b246dd.JPG

 

Went out for some bait and ran into a some monster snook. This monster was just sittin around as I glided by, waiting on some food. Lots of big snook around those dock lights.

 

IMG_E2803.JPG.8a2c64122dd4cfee4a9e68e54a688609.JPG

 

IMG_E2804.JPG.c92d65a562a52daebb34fcdeca073fbc.JPG

 

Then, out in the middle of a large bay on a completely submerged sandbar, I was walking around looking for rays when I hear this splashing commotion coming right at me! Next thing I know, a dog practically attacks my yak. Crazy what you bump into on the open water but never expected a friggin dog LoL.

 

IMG_E2796.JPG.2fdf64a4c6cb9acec2c89029b89c3fdd.JPG

 

Few blacktips around but not many. They high tailed it out of my area, gone until next year, gone but not forgotton. Tagged over 30 this season. Just luv to catch them gals!

 

IMG_E2788.JPG.105459cef54f6627a212ebf2736d581d.JPG

 

IMG_E2789.JPG.202c57e52117c8d645d777023d85c32f.JPG

 

This shark came in with some issues.

 

IMG_E2812.JPG.6b6e31be954ad9ff4f0042d57a47db41.JPG

 

First off, another big shark decided to chomp it, almost took it out. Probably a big hammer. They do that.

 

IMG_E2811.JPG.9f8a6a36b57e8b8fad37ffb64ceb8a2e.JPG

 

Next off, it had a big 20/0 circle hook embedded in the right jaw, which I found very interesting. The hook had been in there for quite some time and already started to rust through, probably for years based on the bio growth. Some people actually believe that these hooks rust out in a few weeks LOL. The eye of the hook had already broken off, probably due to outside structure. The area where it was embedded had already rusted deeply and would've broke or crumbled in a few more months or even years. Hard to tell the actual time frame involved but it is, at the very least, a pretty decent historical observation of what actually happens to all those lost hooks!

 

IMG_2835.JPG.51391037cce6b940ba059fb57ee20719.JPG

 

IMG_2836.JPG.9dce40e89269d8bd0e7cd7cdc4cf94c8.JPG

 

IMG_2837.JPG.cc39ff30e60c65148ad3f414b742d430.JPG

 

IMG_2839.JPG.e66e6c23549098f6a2ce0b09e5506dbd.JPG

 

IMG_2838.JPG.45a2da9b98c3d81b8a49b51528522f98.JPG

Awesome pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

                                                  ISLAND ADVENTURE

 

Hit one of my favorite islands off the gulf coast for some big shark spinning rod action. Setup camp, got firewood, and started fishing. What a beautiful weekend with sunshine, blue sky, and plenty of sharky action!

 

IMG_2990.GIF.56e77372e1f07905bcbac2c7876116f2.GIF

 

IMG_2914.JPG.60454fdb4a3b454817604df3ff5770e8.JPG

 

IMG_2991.JPG.bf09655502c043fafc660e7a63f51b3e.JPG

 

IMG_2988.JPG.2da1918df869c5a4717ea20f7d0375b2.JPG

 

IMG_E2964.JPG.a48b8a759b83ca70eff245ae74237881.JPG

 

Got into a nice tiger right off the bat. Was an epic fight on spinning gear. All sharks caught on casted baits close to shore. All sharks caught, tagged, and released with happy faces LoL

 

IMG_E3002.JPG.2bc730ffa401ac172c6a16970a6dc925.JPG

 

The trout were nice size. About every cast ended up with one of these! They were that thick. 

 

IMG_3022.JPG.639bb4a874bf22e0216d6ce0d0c5779a.JPG

 

Got the fire going for the night.

 

IMG_3008.JPG.30f1dbed00fc0e0d99bf040c4c35ffee.JPG

 

This next fish was caught without rod reel or hook! I was reeling in a shark when it got off. Next thing I know the shark was chasing something. Then, suddenly, the ocean explodes and this big jack lands right smack next to my rod holder!!! Craziest catch ever!

 

IMG_2892.JPG.1247e6f0dbca1bcb40d9b65830ac7290.JPG

 

IMG_2889.JPG.52489b31255190ef504f4605d4a40189.JPG

 

Blacktip action was great. Caught a lot of these. They were pretty darn thick and are always a blast on a spinning rod.

 

IMG_E0767.JPG.121d23256b0fc62cb4030f37e5cbc78f.JPG

 

Next morning the sun came up with a big lemon shark. Nothing like a "lemon sunrise" to finish off a great trip!

 

IMG_3029.JPG.d747634047b2803722914b3904cfcde2.JPG

 

IMG_E3019.JPG.47a419f01ea9b1cb4d9e917b22c91a18.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by zcoker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the nice detail report,  i walk away from shark fishing after seeing too many yahoo out there and with every new crop of fishermens it kept getting more and more out of hand...Most of the newies that want to try it don't realize everything that goes into it and have no clue how to handle or clean up after themselves and that what come back to bite us in the rear....Lots of respect because i know the time you put in just to get into nice shark on spinning gear and a Tiger... Hats off on that one..:theman:

now getting back to those snook Come on man!!! LOL... you didnt try to get into one? :eek:..... i have alway's wonder where that tip came to cut the hook off and it will rust off... i have found smaller hooks in snooks and they were there for awhile...it must also be nice to have a good group that have the same mindset as you... I believe that's the hardest thing to find, when it comes to fishing.... 

Edited by Drako

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:02 AM, zcoker said:

                                                  ISLAND ADVENTURE

 

Hit one of my favorite islands off the gulf coast for some big shark spinning rod action. Setup camp, got firewood, and started fishing. What a beautiful weekend with sunshine, blue sky, and plenty of sharky action!

 

IMG_2990.GIF.56e77372e1f07905bcbac2c7876116f2.GIF

 

IMG_2914.JPG.60454fdb4a3b454817604df3ff5770e8.JPG

 

IMG_2991.JPG.bf09655502c043fafc660e7a63f51b3e.JPG

 

IMG_2988.JPG.2da1918df869c5a4717ea20f7d0375b2.JPG

 

IMG_E2964.JPG.a48b8a759b83ca70eff245ae74237881.JPG

 

Got into a nice tiger right off the bat. Was an epic fight on spinning gear. All sharks caught on casted baits close to shore. All sharks caught, tagged, and released with happy faces LoL

 

IMG_E3002.JPG.2bc730ffa401ac172c6a16970a6dc925.JPG

 

The trout were nice size. About every cast ended up with one of these! They were that thick. 

 

IMG_3022.JPG.639bb4a874bf22e0216d6ce0d0c5779a.JPG

 

Got the fire going for the night.

 

IMG_3008.JPG.30f1dbed00fc0e0d99bf040c4c35ffee.JPG

 

This next fish was caught without rod reel or hook! I was reeling in a shark when it got off. Next thing I know the shark was chasing something. Then, suddenly, the ocean explodes and this big jack lands right smack next to my rod holder!!! Craziest catch ever!

 

IMG_2892.JPG.1247e6f0dbca1bcb40d9b65830ac7290.JPG

 

IMG_2889.JPG.52489b31255190ef504f4605d4a40189.JPG

 

Blacktip action was great. Caught a lot of these. They were pretty darn thick and are always a blast on a spinning rod.

 

IMG_E0767.JPG.121d23256b0fc62cb4030f37e5cbc78f.JPG

 

Next morning the sun came up with a big lemon shark. Nothing like a "lemon sunrise" to finish off a great trip!

 

IMG_3029.JPG.d747634047b2803722914b3904cfcde2.JPG

 

IMG_E3019.JPG.47a419f01ea9b1cb4d9e917b22c91a18.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Keys in May is tarpon time. They were so thick down there, all over the place, and with the right tide can jump them every cast. They weren't the biggest but sure were fun on light tackle. All of them about the same size.

 

IMG_E3034.JPG.ae7440327588f3cbda6625725efe739a.JPG

 

Now the cuda, on the other and, were huge! Did I say "got bait" LoL. Lotta folks see these cudas as secondary fishing. But the big ones will put a tarpon to shame as far as runs and jumps. Truly a forgotten gamefish, IMHO.

 

IMG_E3065.JPG.9bdda22d628f54637f74b557178c721c.JPG

 

IMG_E3066.JPG.67c6b10fb57f05a2301e38d43cb4cebd.JPG

 

Lotta other life down there hanging out.

 

IMG_E3037.JPG.feea864696ecc318e718d997c09e37fd.JPG

 

IMG_E3061.JPG.383cfcd537907c3f994034c986a0a79d.JPG

 

IMG_E3192.JPG.fe4552396fec424669db690d9d1bb0a2.JPG

 

IMG_3193.JPG.57a2c56b8a7f5a57d279aed33b803cd7.JPG

 

Stopped at a store to get some supplies and next thing I know this fellow was trying to get into my truck!!

 

IMG_3070.JPG.f40a4840f184aa40b28e1dd8112004f6.JPG

 

IMG_3071.JPG.1babeceb6df4f6bb39cbdbc103320eb2.JPG

 

IMG_3110.JPG.aba23786216ea6aadbae9ff1f9cf98c4.JPG

 

As I was pulling out, my thoughts were: "only in the Keys" LoL.

 

IMG_3117.JPG.ef6b045decb6943fbbd45455f39b731d.JPG

 

Nothing like a Keys sunset from my make-shift motel room on the brige LoL.

 

IMG_E3134.JPG.c37939a0d4440e528db32a140f88c51f.JPG

 

IMG_3143.JPG.ff6ed3438e48071daeda56a3222119f2.JPG

 

Then headed to the west coast for some shark action.

 

IMG_3145.JPG.a3dc89e34bfc8df3ae9ca28bebee8ae5.JPG

 

IMG_3200.JPG.5c5de4868ac1992dd9cc247f613d0a2a.JPG

 

Them tail-gate hot dogs taste sooo good LoL

 

IMG_E3122.JPG.11c433304a1e69ec7c9990eecb1ec6e7.JPG

 

Sun was going down and the sky got kinda sketchy.

 

IMG_3205.JPG.d6189d2ddc870edf39c9af94fbb9ffc7.JPG

 

IMG_E3214.JPG.69fd724fdc1ce59383c6a1847dd794df.JPG

 

But as soon as it got dark, the sharks hit. Had one massive hit that about pulled me into the ocean. Probably a big hammer or tiger. 

 

IMG_E3220.JPG.fefa3b22d7af8ade39992de3878912a9.JPG

 

Most of the sharks that we beached were lemon sharks. They seem quite abundant on the west coast. All sharks tagged and released safely. I like the west coast much better for releasing sharks. Surf is so clear and calm compared to the east coast, rough and rowdy.

 

IMG_E3222.JPG.eeb6a33b896f91f3001ea58bf4a896e2.JPG

 

IMG_E3227.thumb.JPG.ebda6a99b59c10e3345cb0ad0d480a6d.JPG

 

IMG_3229.JPG.737d8483efdff1e31943f667bf6dc332.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you have the time away from catching , can you please write a book with pictures. I’ll take two copies . 

Thanks for sharing  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, Hook I said:

When you have the time away from catching , can you please write a book with pictures. I’ll take two copies . 

Thanks for sharing  

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on the new FWC shark fishing regulations here in Florida.....for those who don't know or for those who are just curious or for those just trying to figure it all out. I've worked closely with FWC on this process to implement a very straightforward educational presentation to preserve this sport. Turned out pretty good, I think,

 

For those who plan on shore base shark fishing here in Florida, one must go to the FWC website and take a shark fishing course. This course is only available on the FWC website and is available right now (before the July 1st 2019 deadline). One must also register to gain access to this course with a user name and password.

 

There are four audio modules, covering the basics of shore based shark fishing, from gear requirements, catch and release, to proper shark identification. The modules are very straightforward and can be re-taken at any time. After the completion of the four modules, one must take a ten question test. Each question specifies what module it came from. This test MUST be passed at 100%. If a question is missed, simply look down to see what module it came from and go back to study and then re-take the test.

 

After passing, a certificate is awarded with a unique ID number printed on it. This number allows access to the permit, which is either under their standard FWC permit program online or on their FWC phone App (same program). The shark fishing permit will appear next to your standard fishing permits, whatever they be, and is good for one year. If the shark fishing permit does not appear for whatever reason in the program, simply "sync" the license section to update it.

 

This entire process is free of charge.

 

If there are any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me or FWC at anytime. I'm in direct contact with FWC program administrators and your feedback is important and appreciated!

 

Happy and safe sharking!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to put in a word RIP to the young California girl, 21 years old who was just killed in the Bahamas by a gang of sharks. With all this political shark stuff going on here in Florida, as if sharks are so loving and forgiving, heed to stories like this which can change that tune rather quickly! Sharks are sharks and will bite, kill, and do whatever it takes for a quick score. Swim safely and wisely and watch out for bait activity, idle pelicans floating around or seagulls diving as well as cloudy water, all indicative of sharky action.

 

 

RIP Jordon Lindsay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work as always  Zcoker  . Glad to see you out there shark fishing and sharing your adventures on this one of the few still active fishing forums. This is Will Fundora of SFSC.com I will be slowly but surely restructuring our website to fit the new reality and the effects of social media has had on website forums . The new FWC regulations on our sport in Florida  will  also affect our sport and we will adapt and move forward. Now that i'm slowly approaching 60 I think more and more of  shark fishing on isolated beaches and so I will take pics,write the stories and share them just a matter of time. Anyways glad to see the sport moving forward in Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, team shark fever said:

Great work as always  Zcoker  . Glad to see you out there shark fishing and sharing your adventures on this one of the few still active fishing forums. This is Will Fundora of SFSC.com I will be slowly but surely restructuring our website to fit the new reality and the effects of social media has had on website forums . The new FWC regulations on our sport in Florida  will  also affect our sport and we will adapt and move forward. Now that i'm slowly approaching 60 I think more and more of  shark fishing on isolated beaches and so I will take pics,write the stories and share them just a matter of time. Anyways glad to see the sport moving forward in Florida. 

 

Yes, Will, moving forward and keeping things alive....thanks so much for making contact and sharing your plans. You've certainly paved the road for many in this sport....South Beach Pier comes to mind, Rene de Dios...aww, those were the days, man!!

 

The FWC was indeed an intellectual challenge LoL. But I think the reality of the situation was in their complete lack of understanding of this sport. They relied heavily on hardcore shark fishermen to coach them along. My role was to simply keep them on the right track, so to speak, by meeting with them and presenting realistic outcomes devoid of emotion yet filled with logic and clarity--practical outcomes for everyone that made sense and avoided unnecessary roadblocks with our future fishing activities.

 

So far, I think it a win for us.

 

Again, thanks so much for making contact and sharing your plans, truly appreicated. I look forward to your future endeavors with your site, as I know other's will as well.

 

Tight lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.