missinglink08

What do you want to see at winter shows? Seminars? Something new?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

SO I am working with the kids of the Ward Melville High School Fishing Club on ideas for next years show. They've come up with some good ideas and one in particular got me thinking.  Why don't we reach out and ask the people that attend our shows, what they would like to see/experience at a show?  Its a great and relevant question.  So, what do you want to see at a show?

The question is a general one, any aspect of a show is fine to comment on.  

I want to add a specific question on the coattails of the first.  When it comes to seminars, who do you want to hear speak?  Topics of interest?  Any ideas other than the traditional person on stage speaking to the crowd?  Totally open to new ideas and formats and any ideas are truly appreciated.

Feel free to post here or to email us at wmhs****@gmail.com  

Thanks

Bob

Ask for sponsors to attend and send their experts to lecture and give demonstrations.... Also have a sponsor fee but free to the public... You will pack the place....

Posted (edited)

You'll pack the place however you finance it.  The kids I met were cute, bright, eager to help ("I'll show you where the men's room is, sir!")

If there was an online list of exhibitors, I missed it. That would be nice. So would an online map of where the exhibitors were - I missed the LIBBA booth.

Fly fishing is nice (I don't know if it's a "growth area").  A fly angler can demonstrate casting in that nice big auditorium where seminars were held. It's big enough to call people up on stage, and let them try, if they want.  Conversely, none of the seminars in the big auditorium came close to filling it; the two I attended fit easily enough in a chorus room. And there is enough variety in Long Island fly angling to permit more then one FF seminar.

BTW, there's a sign in the chorus room noting a parking space is reserved for a Ms. Contino. Is she a daughter of Lois Contino who taught music at Northport HS? She ran the orchestra when I was there.

Edited by BrianBM

Thanks for the response Sytheteacher. Currently the expo we host is free to the public.  As a school event, we hope and plan to continue this aspect to the show.  Any suggestions as to the "sponsors" or the experts that you would like to see?

Thanks BrianBM for the response.  They are great kids.  Makes it easy to do the work and help them out in anyway I can.  I can not list it here but there is a list of vendors on our club website.  You can google search it for info (Ward Melville High School Fishing Club or Patriots Fishing)

Map idea is one the kids are going to tackle next year for sure.  

Would love to full the auditorium.  I think it can handle nearly 800 people.  Would love to see it full for a speaker!

As for Mrs Contino, I don't know.  I wouldn't be surprise being the specialty area that they are both in!

Thanks for the replies....Keep them coming!!

Definatly manufactures . A more detailed kayak seminar for someone whos just buying one. How to rig it with rod holder and electronics. Some more DYI skills. The kid who did the kayak one this year was great and he taught me how to make the para cord and weedwacker line leashes and lanyards. Hands on fly tie and knot tie booths.

I thought the show was great this year. My first. The kids I met and seen have a great attitude. I love the bake sale table, wolf down the peanut butter rice crispy square as fast as I can. I only attended Billy the Greek seminar. A little arrogant yes, but rightfully so. A very unique personality. I will be back next year.

What do I like to see more? Maybe more local tackle maker and retailer present. A bit lacking in this dept.

Another great show, 10 minutes from my house. I'm not really a show person now, but this one, I really enjoy. This may not be your doing but I would like to see workshops, on beach driving safety, courtesy, and conservation. Maybe in that same arena some of the off road/RV concessions. I like that the flea market type of seller was separated from the commercial sellers. I see a great future and possibilities for the show. Maybe some boats and RVs in the parking lot for a fee of course.

Missed Mike O' again this year, is he around.

Thanks guys.  Appreciate all the ideas.  

Reelfire---you will see some definite DIY kayak stuff for sure at some of the vendors....going to be a new area for the kayak guys with plenty of room.  Kids are working on ideas for more hands on stuff too!!

Hobobob-  cant take credit for the bake sale.  That is the work of the Lady Reelers, one of our vendors and an all female fishing club.  Great people too!!!  heard there food was to die for.

Shag - Mike Owen was there.  He was holding down aspects of the show that I wasnt doing.  He is invaluable to the club and the show.  He comes to every meeting and I can always find him working with a kid building a rod or working one on one with knots or anything we are doing.  I cant run things without him!  

Appreciate the ideas folks....while we may not be able to do some of them we are always looking to make things better each and every year.  Appreciate the feedback and look forward to more....

Although not an angling celebrity, the couple who own and operate Miller Place Bait & Tackle could come in and do a presentation on local SW fishing. Jim Flora, her first name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the ideas.

Reelfire---you will see some definite DIY kayak stuff for sure at some of the vendors....going to be a new area for the kayak guys with plenty of room. Kids are working on ideas for more hands on stuff too!!

Hobobob- cant take credit for the bake sale. That is the work of the Lady Reelers, one of our vendors and an all female fishing club. Great people too!!! heard there food was to die for.

Shag - Mike Owen was there. He was holding down aspects of the show that I wasnt doing. He is invaluable to the club and the show. He comes to every meeting and I can always find him working with a kid building a rod or working one on one with knots or anything we are doing. I cant run things without him!

Appreciate the ideas folks....while we may not be able to do some of them we are always looking to make things better each and every year. Appreciate the feedback and look forward to more....

Quite frankly I don't want to deal with the kayak guys. They all stood in the hallway with defensive posture except for the one guy who was hard selling everyone his tunes. The kid who did the seminar was alot better and easier to talk to.

Was a great show!!! Covered all bases I thought well rounded. At no point was the show overcrowded and people fighting to buy a plug

John -- thanks for the kind words!

Brian - great suggestion.  Thank you!

Reelfire---I put them in that spot and didnt realize how large a group they are.  Maybe your opinion might change after next years move and rearrange.  But I hear what you are saying regardless.  The kids want to see more kayak "speakers" ...similar to the how to set up and how to utilize a yak best.  I think you will be happy with how we plan to address this next year!

I think a hands on knot tying would be very helpful!

Also a general fish habit seminar would bring in fishers of all backgrounds to discuss what triggers a bite for our local fish.  It could attract surf casts, boaters, and kayakers into on class and open dialog of shared knowledge. "From shore I do xyz and it should work on open water too"

Thanks bantis!  both are good ideas!

alot of what has been offered, I can easily incorporate.  Some we thought of but didn't follow through on but some ideas, we didn't think and we really appreciate the feedback