coastalfreak

Beginning setup for Bottom Fishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm in school right now and haven't got to fish as much as I want to. I don't exactly have much of a budget either. So, I need a cheaper rig,about 200 or under for the rod and reel. I probably want it to hold 50#? braid and some 20-30 pound mono topshot. Gear i have been looking at-

Rods- 

Penn Mariner

Ugly Stik Tiger Lite

Tsunami Trophy Series

Ande Tournament Rods

Offshore Angler Boat Rods

Reels-

Offshore Angler Gold Cup

Offshore Angler Ocean Master Lever Drag

Shimano TLD 

Used Senators, Jigmasters, Squidders

Combos?

Offshore Angler Ocean Master Lever Drag w/t Gulf Stream Rod

I'd buy a penn fathom 12 or 15 for the reel. As for the rod if u wanna save some money the tsunami classic series are great rods. The one rated 1-4 oz is perfect for togging. If u wanna spend a bit more the lamiglass triflex 7030ct is a great factory tog rod. That reel with either of the two rods mentioned should cover all your seabass, blackfish and striped bass needs. If u want porgys n fluke I'd go with a much lighter rod. I prefer heavier action freshwater bass rods for that with a low profile reel.

A lot of good advice on here already. Definitely want a star drag. I second the penn jigmaster. It's 70 bucks new off tackle direct I believe. I'd go with that reel personally. It will last forever for you. Christ, that's all I use even after 20+ years of fishing and trying out many reels.

For the rod, what dik said about the lamiglas 7030ct is spot on. That's low $200s new so that plus a jigmaster will be around 280-300 bucks if you can afford that. You will be very happy with this setup. If the rod is too high end, I'd go with the tsunami

Where are you fishing from?  You would want a longer (7 1/2 - 8 foot) rod if primarily fishing from a partyboat, while a shorter (6 - 7 foot) rod would be preferable on a smaller private boat.

Where are you fishing from? You would want a longer (7 1/2 - 8 foot) rod if primarily fishing from a partyboat, while a shorter (6 - 7 foot) rod would be preferable on a smaller private boat.

that's a myth. The 8ft rod gives almost no advantage at all. U may be able to flip your bait out four more feet.

that's a myth. The 8ft rod gives almost no advantage at all. U may be able to flip your bait out four more feet.

I disagree. With a longer rod you can sit back on the bench enjoying a cool refreshing beverage and still keep your line from chafing on the hull - big advantage on a long hot afternoon on a partyboat.

Edited by PeterO