palmer6994

looking for some gear for a friend in need

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

hey solers, could use some of your guys help in putting together some gear for a friend of mine. He just finished up a 5 year term in the Marines and came home a few months ago, he's seemed very empty since getting back, like theres just something missing for him. Well after a few conversations I've gotten him pretty excited to get into some surf fishing this year. . I have a feeling once he hooks up with a nice blue or striper he'll be just as hooked and (hopefully) back to his normal self again

so I'm looking for some decent entry level gear that will be suitable for surf fishing for blues and stripers.  funds are kinda tight for him and gear at the retail stores can flush out your wallet in the blink of an eye, so I'm hoping i can find some good priced stuff to get him going, lures/rod/reel/terminal tackle/etc.

thinking a 9 footer will do him well for the terrains we will be fishing

lets see what you guys got!

local deals on long island would be preferred to cut out the costs of shipping.

Thanks!

Edited by palmer6994

fiske ill let him know about the ssv and see what he says 

bobber- whatchya got? he needs everything haha, I'm donating a few of my lures to him but i don't have much other extra gear to offer.

I don't know the SOL rules for this, so check it out first, but you could maybe set up a go fund me page or collect small donations some other way. All of my gear is off brand and/or cheap - not worth donating. But I'd contribute some dollars for a fisherman in need - especially a service member. Added up, you may be able to get him something decent - new or used.

thats not a bad idea!

edit- although I'm not sure how he would feel having money collected for him. i think thats a bit different then getting a few freebies or cheap stuff.

Edited by palmer6994

Calling from Canada. Not a service guy myself but my father was and he/we lost a lot of relatives in the war and I know what Dad must have gone through. I have his medals, diaries, his watch and the best of all his log book from the time he landed on D day to going though to Hamburg, he was also at the Nuremburg trials. When we talked about the war he just couldn't get the stories out without getting upset, I never pushed him. I have the letter he wrote to my uncle who was 18 and killed in Cannes, France, the envelope holding the letter is stamped Deceased Killed in Action. I was an avid collector of war memorabilia and have a ton of stuff and one thing I have is a US Marine Dress Sword,  nicely engraved and is a very nice piece. I would like to send that to the Marine along with some brand new lures that I use for Musky, I am sure they will work for those hungry saltwater fish.

I would hope the dress sword will not create a negative impact, if you feel it will let me know and I will come up with some other stuff to send, I am older and its time to give back now

PM the address, the shipping costs will be mine

Good luck

Ian