striperjoe916

reel size for my 7ft ultralight trout rod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I generally don't ever see the need to go below 2500 or 3000.

I have some ultra ultra lights.  If i break them out it's always with a light/ ml spinning reel.

They manage line so much better than the tiny reels.  

And a 7-8 ounce reel will match pretty much any 7 footer.

I have a 7'0 st Croix premier UL that I have paired up with a quantum smoke 15 size I also have a 6'0 St Croix premier UL that I have a size 10 Quantum smoke on . These two are my trout set ups . I've been using berkley nano fil 6 lb on both of them for two years now . I would think any reel in the 1000-2000 size will do you just fine on most 7 foot UL rods.

Posted (edited)

Depends on what size reel you need to balance out your rod, but I am with Scooby on this one. I rarely go smaller than a 2500 and have been fishing streams and rivers for trout for many years. The larger reels simply cast and handle line better, not to mention that the drags are usually smoother. Getting extra spools gives you more versatility and the ability to switch from ultra-light to light rods with the same reel depending on the size of the river, fish, and lures you want to use. Find a reel that balances well with your rod, note its weight and go from there. With the new lighter reels you may be surprised by the choices you have.

Edited by Jay Blair

what line test do you use for trout scoobydoo

I use 5 to 10lb braid and tie in an appropriate leader

I have a Penn Conflict 1000, but I use a much shorter (5'-6" Diawa Laguna) rod as the stream/river I fish is narrow and tree lined so it makes maneuvering easier.  I use 4lb fluoro line. 

-Andrew

7foot is kinda big for an "ultralight"  rod....  most of the UL stuff I use is 5-6 feet designed for trout/stream use.  for those I match them with a 500 or 1500 series reel-

2500 reel would be OK if its lightweight-  not more than 8 or 9 ounces

Posted (edited)

Hard to beat the Daiwa SS Tournament Whisker 1300 for that application.

Cast great, great drag, light, tough, not expensive........  what more could you want ?

Edited by Sudsy

I use a daiwa microspin bought in the early 90s. 6# fireline. Good for 1000 or so smallies, 2-2000 yellow perch, couple hundred largemouth, couple hundred walleye, maybe 50 steelhead.

Gone thru a few ultra lite rods using bass plugs.

No service done on the reel. Works perfectly. Line is from the early 2000's.