Rui

Pre Post epoxy tips techniques tricks tools

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

If you're using acid brushes hit the base of the brush with 2 drops of crazy glue before you start. You won't lose any bristles that way. Don't need fancy brush cleaner Denatured Alcohol will clean epoxy brushes just fine.

I'd say unless there's an imperfection you want to sand off, just reapply.. epoxy loves to stick to epoxy

Yes loves to stick to itself. I wipe off plugs with ISO alcohol before applying second coat seems to help but lightly. I use a very thin epoxy so 2 coats is my norm, although adds double the time

I need to try the glove trick for epoxy.  I apply 4 coats of epoxy, as I make lures for GT's, and fish on reefs.

Epoxying is my nightmre...

I mess up my lures when I'm wiring them, I either scratch or break the epoxy when doing the tail wrap.

Received a great tip, you can re coat epoxy after a minimum 4 hrs, any earlier and you get a gloppy mess!

Same here man. Got some nice paint down and epoxy only to have the dust settle and made it look bad. Any tips on "fixing" the plugs?

I was thinking sand it down some and re-coat and hope for the best.

If you reepoxy it helps but it depends on plug color.I have this all white one that looks like **** .I reepoxyed and added a ton of glitter and it def hid it.But it drives me nuts. Edited by IslandSurf

Thanks for the brush tips i think that will help me considerably may even try the gloved fingers approach.

One more question if i have a area or the whole plug i want to put a second cought of epoxy on do i need to sand between them? If so how fine of sabd paper? 1000 grit?

Like Wire said below unless you have an imperfection no need to sand. If you do have to sand 400 grit very lightly works. The old epoxy will turn white but once you apply the new coat it will look fine.

Whether I sand or not I like to wipe the plug down with alcohol to remove any dust that might have collected.

I'd say unless there's an imperfection you want to sand off, just reapply.. epoxy loves to stick to epoxy

If you're using acid brushes hit the base of the brush with 2 drops of crazy glue before you start. You won't lose any bristles that way. Don't need fancy brush cleaner Denatured Alcohol will clean epoxy brushes just fine.

Good tip on the crazy glue. I always crimp them but didn't think about glue.

Yes loves to stick to itself. I wipe off plugs with ISO alcohol before applying second coat seems to help but lightly. I use a very thin epoxy so 2 coats is my norm, although adds double the time

I like to wipe it down with ISO also just to remove any dust that collected.

If you reepoxy it helps but it depends on plug color.I have this all white one that looks like **** .I reepoxyed and added a ton of glitter and it def hid it.But it drives me nuts.

Yeah the lighter colors are a pain. What epoxy are you using? Etex seems to have a nicer finish over devcon but devcon is so much easier to work with when it comes to bubbles/dust.

Edited by Rui

I've used Devon 30 min cause I use for surf candy epoxy flies so I have a ton on hand.. very easy to work with comes out very nice but yellows quickly and when plug was wet and then sitting in plug bag in car it split the epoxy like a mother.. gonna grab some etex and try it next time

Keale have you ever tried epoxing your plugs after you have put the hardware in place.

I'm new to this, and ran into the same issue (chipping my finish while twisting the tail wire). I'm going to wire first, and then epoxy next time around. Thanks for the idea.

I think it's a neater look when you wire last. I hate seeing finish over a tail wrap or all over a lip. With a little practice you'll be able to wire last without trashing the finish.

To me wiring before epoxy is a No no. Not that hard to accomplish with practice. Much cleaner look. I do install belly grommets and nose grommets though before epoxy.

Edited by Steel Pulse

That will work just not something I do but that is me. My epoxy is thin so 2 coats is not a big deal some thicker epoxy you can get away with one. I just prefer 2.

To me wiring before epoxy is a No no. Not that hard to accomplish with practice. Much cleaner look. I do install belly grommets and nose grommets though before epoxy.

Is there a particular type of pliers, or other tool that you find helpful when doing the tail wrap?