Tacoma2015

Custom surf rod

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Ok, so you're kind of new to this. There are so many blanks and companies out there it can confuse even the best of us. So go with " KISS " principle. The go to rod for 30 some years 132m. Any shop or builder worth his salt can build you one. Fished one for 20 years, gave it away and ten years into my second. Yes I own a could of other rods but when in doubt, I pick up the Lami. Once you learn how to cast you could even throw 1/2 oz bucks with it.

Edited by LI BeachRat

yes thanks LI bEach rat. I've kind of gathered that the 132M is basically ol' reliable. i was leaning towards that blank and after this thread its only solidified my thinking. thanks again for everyones feedback!

I know everyone wants that pre 2005 or new old school but i got one from 2010 and it's a great blank as well

I've never used a "new" 132 1M but have used the "old school" and it's not my preference for long plugging sessions.

+1 for Mark at Cow Harbor.  Speaking with Mark, you can tell right away the passion he has for building quality custom rods! He is building me a cut lami 1201L and repairing a 1321M for me now... cant wait to see the finished products.  I also have a RedHawk custom CTS and its a beauty also.  

Theres alot you can docwith custom rods there fun and your builder should definitely be very helpful with advice. And what works and dosent. Theres alot of good suggestions on builders here. But frank ward builds all my stuff.heres the gsb i got done by frank...I hope what I offered helped you.

Is your power knob on your VS glossy??? 

just an update: i really do appreciate all the info, and after speaking with a rod builder I'm going with a GSB1321M. very excited for the build, and should be done in time for the start of the season! thanks again all.

Edited by tacoma2016

just an update: i really do appreciate all the info, and after speaking with a rod builder I'm going with a GSB1321M. very excited for the build, and should be done in time for the start of the season! thanks again all.

Very good choice, I've been fishing mine for over 10 years and have never felt like I wanted a different 11'.