Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Anyone got starters for us on the eastern north fork - the eel lady in Orient ain't there no more ...

On the subject, I'm considering live eels this summer. Are live eels something you can buy at a tackle store normally or do you HAVE to catch them??

On the subject, I'm considering live eels this summer. Are live eels something you can buy at a tackle store normally or do you HAVE to catch them??

You can buy live eels at your local tackle shop

Posted (edited)

cow harbor bait and tackle in Northport has the biggest eel tanks ive ever seen , and they have a full line of rigged plugs and  rigged eels , and skins sold separately , Mark and his son Phil are great guys !

Edited by jerrryboy

cow harbor bait and tackle in Northport has the biggest eel tanks ive ever seen , and they have a full line of rigged plugs and  rigged eels , and skins sold separately , Mark and his son Phil are great guys !

Bought one rigged, a jig one & a red fin one @ Ward Melville - swore I wasn't going to break the $100 bill, but couldn't pass them up.

Probably get out to Cow Harbor after a doc's appt & get a skin or 2 for a modified plug !!!! 

Posted (edited)

Cow Harbor sells rigged eels, eel skins, they will put eel skins on for you, all sorts of stuff feel free to call

That's nice, but half the fun is coming up with or rigging up something that scores. But I certainly see the value in being able to buy rigged eels and plugs. To each their own, enjoy what you do.

Edited by Shag

Dropped by Cow Harbor yesterday to complete my eel rigs w/2 skins for these plugs I am retrofitting ...

post-4837-0-61738500-1489154460.jpg

Should I be using ones w/2 belly hooks or maybe even more weighted plugs ???

Top is 1.75 oz & bottom is 1.1 oz

Posted (edited)

Dropped by Cow Harbor yesterday to complete my eel rigs w/2 skins for these plugs I am retrofitting ...

attachicon.gif0310170852a.jpg

Just a few things and I'm no expert. My eel skin plugs are painted and sealed, keeping water out so weight, action is consistent. Also I could see water freezing from continued freezing and refreezing and cracking the wood. But maybe you plan on resealing and painting in the process. You could also carve a ring around the head to help with cinching down the skin before you repaint. Many years ago Zeno H. Told me not to overlook Needlefish as a plug to skin. You have a much wider assortment of sizes to choose from as well as action. Edited by Shag

These were from a SOL lot of readies-to-fix, sure I/ clean & sand them a bit & then reseal them w/Minwax Lacquer Sanding Sealer (60/40 mix).

Reason I removed the original was that both had hardened motor oil on them - used SmartStrip, tho it took 2 times X 24 hrs brushing it on to get them to the pic attached.

Was further priming with BM Underbody, nice sanding between coats, but took so long too dry - am now trying Rust-Oleum 2X (per some web info), seems fine so far.

Head & body painting is still TBD ...   

And yes on the ring for the skin, tho Cow Harbors Red Fin Eels are tied with monel wire ..

Had an old Gibb PP in my paint remove mix - wonder it that's an option for an eel skin ???

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the 411.

attachicon.gif0310170852a.jpg

Depends on the skin and where and how you wanna use them

Here's an old Atom 54, which is plastic foam, gouged out for skins. Weighs in at 2 1/4 oz. [That's my paint]

post-68566-0-67277800-1489198708.jpg

Edited by Rainmaker

So when is it time to start w/rigged eels ???

And what's the story with keeping them okay from day to day (night to night as well) - more salt, ice ???