sidelock

Rattles

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been fooling around  with applying rattles to some flies in anticipation of spring bass. Rattle is uv cured inside body/mylar tubing and tied onto a VMC 3/0 wide gap worm hook, flies are 5" long

post-46211-0-16629700-1488389316.jpg

Also ended up added some weight to keel the fly by simply wrapping lead wire and coating it with black colored uv resin, to give it a jerk bait like action.

post-46211-0-87632500-1488389355.jpg

post-46211-0-21188500-1488391097.jpg

This one is attached to a 60* jig hook.

post-46211-0-06340200-1488390995.jpg

post-46211-0-34839900-1488391154.jpg

and one on a j hook and a skull head

post-46211-0-43726100-1488391225.jpg

post-46211-0-44534800-1488391242.jpg

Edited by sidelock

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ran out of silver holo flash and eyes, had to substitute with gold, doesn't look right but hope it will catch none the less.

post-46211-0-01039600-1488399364.jpg

Edited by sidelock

Sidelock,

Just only recently purchased some and started to put some into my Crease Flies.   The bend in the popper hooks makes a neat landing spot for the rattle as it positions it at about a 30° angle and the balls run up the ramp on a quick strip and then will settle back down when the fly stops moving.  Quick jerks along a straight path on a table top in short increments to simulate stripping a fly line made remarkably noticeable sounds; much more than I had anticipated.  

HT

post-53496-0-12876800-1488401841.jpg

post-53496-0-33470500-1488401866.jpg

Been wanting to do that with crease flies also, just never got around to it, someday I will. It's really never ending is it ? Got so many flies I may have to hire a caddy.  

I've used them to tie "rattle" Clousers  using the tubing to hold them in place and in some of my larger Crease flies.  Haven't tried them in streamer patterns.  I've go a few rattles lying around I'll have give that a try.

I was told by Brad Buzzi quite awhile ago to insert the rattle down the face to avoid cracking the glass. I though about what he said

and it seem perfectly logical to surround the rattle with foam. I've been doing that for as long as that tip was given to me and

I must say sometimes my Crease Flys don't make it back alive yet the rattle is still "clicking"......

Try the Wiggle Doll eyes instead of a rattle. They actually make louder noise using two.

Maybe use both?

Doll eyes float so they are ok for poppers or just sub surface but if you apply them to a streamer that you want to sink, you will have to use a sink line. The bigger they are the more buoyant and balancing a fly to swim correctly can become challenging if its not tied right and keeled . Having said that fishing with a sink line and a buoyant fly has its merits, especially if you want to fish close to the bottom and prevent getting hung up. I fish crease flies with a full sink line and short leader on Lake Erie when the small mouth bass are near the bottom to prevent getting hung up on the rocky bottom.  

Doll eyes float so they are ok for poppers or just sub surface but if you apply them to a streamer that you want to sink, you will have to use a sink line. The bigger they are the more buoyant and balancing a fly to swim correctly can become challenging if its not tied right and keeled . Having said that fishing with a sink line and a buoyant fly has its merits, especially if you want to fish close to the bottom and prevent getting hung up. I fish crease flies with a full sink line and short leader on Lake Erie when the small mouth bass are near the bottom to prevent getting hung up on the rocky bottom.  

That is true, they are buoyant and yes, the larger the eye the more buoyant. But the smaller sizes will surprise you about buoyance. Not as much as you would think.

Wiggle eyes are great to add some rattling noise to Crease Flies. That's a natural progression.

The problem with rattles, they really don't make a lot of noise by themselves. It's like a music box. Take the mechanism out and turn the handle, makes very little noise compared to when it's over the box to amplify. Same principle holds through with rattles. Not only do you have to in capsulate them into some kind of tubing, But it would make much more sense to coat the entire holder with epoxy if you would want to increase the noise level.   That's why they work so good in plugs.  

I started putting rattles in Crease Flies last season and they work well.  I just slide them inside the folded over foam body and put a piece of foam cylinder in the mouth to act as a plug.  The large 4 or 5 mm pyrex rattles with two ball bearings inside work best for me and make the most noise.  I can't say if it makes the Creases more effective, but it seems to help.  With albies and bass the rattles were surprisingly durable and often last longer than the foam bodies--I was able to reuse a couple rattles from Creases that were otherwise worn out.  But big bluefish invariably crushed the rattle and it was useless after the first hit or two.  I don't put rattles in the big Crease Flies I tie for my Bluefish Box.

I like petegray's use of a rattle in the squid flies--post #8 above--I am going to try that this season.  And I have some Doll Eyes somewhere--I'll try them on a couple Crease Flies. Thanks Capt. Castafly.

Edited by cgg

I started putting rattles in Crease Flies last season and they work well.  I just slide them inside the folded over foam body and put a piece of foam cylinder in the mouth to act as a plug.  The large 4 or 5 mm pyrex rattles with two ball bearings inside work best for me and make the most noise.  I can't say if it makes the Creases more effective, but it seems to help.  With albies and bass the rattles were surprisingly durable and often last longer than the foam bodies--I was able to reuse a couple rattles from Creases that were otherwise worn out.  But big bluefish invariably crushed the rattle and it was useless after the first hit or two.  I don't put rattles in the big Crease Flies I tie for my Bluefish Box.

I like petegray's use of a rattle in the squid flies--post #8 above--I am going to try that this season.  And I have some Doll Eyes somewhere--I'll try them on a couple Crease Flies. Thanks Capt. Castafly.

Crease Flies: I've never used rattles before and can't speak from experience but I lashed my rattle (above) to the popper hook at an angle hoping gravity would help even on a mild strip but mainly as I thought that lashing tight with mono to the hook shank and then coating with UV resin might cause some of the rattle noise to resonate down the hook shank seeing it was in intimate contact. Ie: Glass on stainless. Kind of like a tunning fork. No science behind it......people do say I tend to overthink things :)

HT

Crease Flies: I've never used rattles before and can't speak from experience but I lashed my rattle (above) to the popper hook at an angle hoping gravity would help even on a mild strip but mainly as I thought that lashing tight with mono to the hook shank and then coating with UV resin might cause some of the rattle noise to resonate down the hook shank seeing it was in intimate contact. Ie: Glass on stainless. Kind of like a tunning fork. No science behind it......people do say I tend to overthink things :)

HT

Hey--your ideas to amplify the sound make sense to me--can't hurt.  And having the rattle further forward may save it from a marauding bluefish.  Regardless, your Crease Flies look a lot better than mine--I love your foil finishes with the different colors and scales.  :th: