blind squirl

VR series reel review

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Checking out vr 125, anyone use 30 lb. braid? 150 maybe more compatible with 30. Need some input. Thanks

my VR125 is loaded with suffix 832 30 pound. works great

I've put the VR150 through a gauntlet. The pros are the price,power knob, spool size holds a ton of braid, and all the other staal pros. My reel gets dunked regularly with no issue. The CONS.. after catching multiple 30+ the reel gets "loose" not broken in. The roller needs to be tighten regularly and VS needs to make the bailess roller much bigger, or offer an upgrade. I also find the drag to be a little jumpy at times compared to my other vs reels. My biggest issue is the roller size but overall great reel.

also my first post

Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead but I have a VR question. Where I’m at in DE we don’t have any shops that carry Van Staal. I’ve been getting too much saltwater on my other reels for my liking and am looking to get a VR series reel. I may end up just taking a ride to TD. 

what size vr reel would pair best with a 8ft ODM DNA 3/8-2oz rod?

Thanks 

57 mins ago, ATBfish said:

Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead but I have a VR question. Where I’m at in DE we don’t have any shops that carry Van Staal. I’ve been getting too much saltwater on my other reels for my liking and am looking to get a VR series reel. I may end up just taking a ride to TD. 

what size vr reel would pair best with a 8ft ODM DNA 3/8-2oz rod?

Thanks 

A VR125 would do fine and if you need more line you could buy a VR150 spool, there are deals going on right now buy the old generation 1 and get a free spool with it, VS did an update on the VR reel now called generation 2 reels so they want to push their old stock.

With the VR150 spool on the reel, you could step to a 9 to10ft rod reel bodies are all the same VS125 to 200.

34 mins ago, LB said:

A VR125 would do fine and if you need more line you could buy a VR150 spool, there are deals going on right now buy the old generation 1 and get a free spool with it, VS did an update on the VR reel now called generation 2 reels so they want to push their old stock.

With the VR150 spool on the reel, you could step to a 9 to10ft rod reel bodies are all the same VS125 to 200.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking. I have a 9’6” airwave elite I use if I need a stouter rod and It would be nice to be able to go back and forth. 

l'm using VR175 on my Airwave 10'6" great reels l have had no problems with the reel going on 5 years just a beefy as my VS reels gear wise.

I have my VR50 on a 9’2” dark matter rod. My go to combo currently. Looking into an 8 footer to change it up a bit. But love this combo.

6 hours ago, LB said:

Like you said, the reel body is the same for 125 to 200, but the 125 /150 take one size rotor and the 175/200 take a bigger rotor.  

5 hours ago, KrocFoot said:

A vr50 would be a perfect fit.

I watched a guy walk out to the beach with a new vr50 , hook into a half doz good size fish, 15-20lb bass, then walk back to his car shaking his head. As I was leaving I asked, you caught some nice fish, why are you leaving, he said he blew up the vr50. He handed me the reel, a few cranks and it felt like a coffee grinder . This was a new reel.

21 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

I watched a guy walk out to the beach with a new vr50 , hook into a half doz good size fish, 15-20lb bass, then walk back to his car shaking his head. As I was leaving I asked, you caught some nice fish, why are you leaving, he said he blew up the vr50. He handed me the reel, a few cranks and it felt like a coffee grinder . This was a new reel.

You have to choose the right tool for the job at hand.

The VR50 is not the right tool for 15-20 LB bass.

51 mins ago, recoil said:

You have to choose the right tool for the job at hand.

The VR50 is not the right tool for 15-20 LB bass.

always hearing  reels blowing up, the problem now a days people put so much drag on the reel that gears strip that's why you re suppose to tire the fish let the fish run you're not fishing for black bass and let it skip on the surface