blind squirl

VR series reel review

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I just picked up this reel 2 weeks ago.. Fished it for the first time the other day and loved it.  This is my first VS.  I caught a few schoolies on it but got some sand in it and flushed it right out.  

I have VR125. It is my first VS. I put a solid spring and fall with it and it has had no issues. I have dropped this reel in the sand given it a salt water bath and continued to fish without a problem. Caught many monster blues, and some nice striped bass up to 25 pounds.  I did open it up this winter and it looked super clean inside. Good luck. 

I got a vr150 as soon as my local b&t got it in last December. I put a hard season on it and it held up wonderfully. No issues at all.

Just curious, you got it last Dec.  Its now 3/1/17, how did you get a hard season out of that time frame?

Ive had the vs reels and the vr 125 and 175 , once i bought the vr i would never by the vs series again , also i sold my vs reels and now only use the vr. Way lighter and smoother.

VR series are very good.  the VS will still be the hardcore workhorse used for getting on the rocks in MTK, jetty jumping, etc.  i wouldnt trust my VR taking a hard fall on the rocks like i would my VS, but its a good reel.

I own a vs 200 and a vr 150...love the vr...have not converted it to bailess it is waterproof but is not reccomened to reel underwater like a vs...seems like is very easy to service as well...the metal is a lot less dense than the vs which lets it be lighter....but in agreement with earlier posts idk how it would do getting beaten around definately feels more delicate to me

I would say go for it I'm not a big vanstall fan but it has the right handle in my opinion and why spend the extra cash on VS or ZB  when they are both capable of breaking down?  I have seen almost all major sealed reels fail  so why not save a buck and get it fixed if it breaks just like you would with the other reels. 

Edited by crazybellringer