H'Islander

Miss the founding fathers...

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Sparky said:

He moved out of Amish country :laugh:

All the plugs that have come and gone in my garage one I cherish was built by the Sparkster. Sparkman plugs are extremely rare.

A beautiful light blue A-40. 

Yes to moving out of Amish country. No to moving to California. I am living large in a beautiful golf course community in NJ.

Good for you ! I’m happy to hear. It’s been 10 or 12 years.  The 2 brain cells I have left don’t always get along. I do remember you helping me out along with Mokes and Winch. I think it Winch is west coast

Well it's een almost 20 years ago that I came across the lure building forum.lurk for awhile before signing in.over the years met most of the builders that started it good times for sure.these days I don't recognize  many names here

Back in the winter of 2005 there was a get together in Slipknots shop of many of the "founding Fathers". I took this photo of Old John, Bassmaster and Habs. Other folks that were there were Mr. Pogie, Cape Sams, Slipknot, Chum Bucket, Flap Tail, Big Fish, Salty Bugger and many others. It was the beginning of Plugfest on the other site. It was a great time and the work I saw that day was an inspiration to upgrade the quality of my own lures. 

Some of these builders have passed on, some are no longer active. Many are still building and there are a number of "new" builders who have filled in to replace the missing. I believe there are more builders now than there ever were, some of these guys producing work that rivals that done by the "founding fathers".

John Merwin, Bassmaster, John Habs.JPG

The gathering.JPG

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

On 10/6/2018 at 6:43 PM, Steel Pulse said:

Those pics are great Fred. Lot of great guys there. 

Hahahaha great pic, I’m talking with Flap. Good times

On 9/20/2018 at 7:52 AM, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Well it's een almost 20 years ago that I came across the lure building forum.lurk for awhile before signing in.over the years met most of the builders that started it good times for sure.these days I don't recognize  many names here

nice seein u on the sand last year, I have an awsome memory LOL

On 10/6/2018 at 5:50 PM, fishing bum wannabe said:

Back in the winter of 2005 there was a get together in Slipknots shop of many of the "founding Fathers". I took this photo of Old John, Bassmaster and Habs. Other folks that were there were Mr. Pogie, Cape Sams, Slipknot, Chum Bucket, Flap Tail, Big Fish, Salty Bugger and many others. It was the beginning of Plugfest on the other site. It was a great time and the work I saw that day was an inspiration to upgrade the quality of my own lures. 

Some of these builders have passed on, some are no longer active. Many are still building and there are a number of "new" builders who have filled in to replace the missing. I believe there are more builders now than there ever were, some of these guys producing work that rivals that done by the "founding fathers".

John Merwin, Bassmaster, John Habs.JPG

The gathering.JPG

Man thems was good times,  that pic bums me out , both gone along with Ken and Steve.  I was catching fish on Old Johns needle last year, the secret talk of building plugs and where the fish was on the sand was pissah. Now I go when i feel like it like last night.

so many stories , I use to love punishing Bruce LOL

I don’t know how much “punishing” you did to Slip, but you did provide a lot of entertainment and information, although it did take a bit of translation to figure out what the hell you were talking about some times. I miss your posts!

On 5/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, fishing bum wannabe said:

I don’t know how much “punishing” you did to Slip, but you did provide a lot of entertainment and information, although it did take a bit of translation to figure out what the hell you were talking about some times. I miss your posts!

I was always more scared if I could interpret his posts the first read through :eek::p

7 hours ago, bassmaster said:

You been phishin at all?

I spent tonight lining up reels

Yep. Moved back to TN. Fishing dam tailwaters for stripers. Very much like the canal. Same gear and lures. Pencils, spooks, poppers, gliders, and lead.