H'Islander

Miss the founding fathers...

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Wondering what ever happened to some of the SOL plug forum cornerstones...Even I don't actively build anymore, but it seems so many have moved on completely?

Can anyone identify this one?  This guy really took me under his wing when I found this site....

post-4598-0-65530700-1488291219.jpg

I still have a Surf Hunter hand-carved bluegill (#6).  It saw fresh water 1 time to see it swim every bit as great as it looks. Amazing stuff from some of those early swaps and bashes.  There's a lot of great new talent here as well.  Looking forward to the May Gig.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jig Man helped get me started. Both he and Dave MacLeod (MAC). Guzz was another one who gave me some tips. Eel Punt helped me also. I still have a few of his plugs. I also came across my copy of the infamous Jig Man  psycidelic?? needle.

Edited by Charleston

Guzz

Mr. Pogie - still my favorite builder, I have two of his that will never see water

Oznavad

Mac

BassMaster (who still does the occasional drive by)

Capesams

PaSurfer

Hislander

Jenty

Old John

Slipknot

10x10 (Rip)

Gary2 (Rip)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pre-Asbury builders party at Diggers, 2009

post-2147-0-72464500-1488992770.jpg

Front Row (seated): 1. CharlieK (Driftwood / Lex); 2. Scotty (Lex); 3. Cookie; 4. Digger (East Coast); 5. Sudsy (Sudsy);

Front Row Inset (pretending to sit): 6. Jerry Fabiano (RV Plugs); 7. Sportyguy33 RIP (Bogeta Bay)

Back Row: 8. Gary Soladti (bigwater); 9. WRikerJr (RuRu); 10. NIB (Eat Me); 11. Kenny Morse; 12. CharlieM (Choopy); 13. SkipOls; 14. EastendLu;

Waaayyyy Back Row: 15. MikeY; 16. Rod, Gary Soladti’s friend; 17 Chumbucket; 18. Ed White; 19. Ryan Smith (RM Smith); 20. ? Hess; 21. Hess Brother friend; 22. Arne P; 23. Sparky (Spark Plugs); 24. Johnny; 25. Hess Brother friend; 26. Wayne Hess

Edited by Sudsy

Sudsy,

That was a good time that night, a lot of talent in that room, I'll always be glad I got invited to hang with some great plugbuilders. Shame about Bodega Bay Joe, died too young, wish Gary2 could have been there too.

Saw Digger down at the Berkeley show this past weekend, he was about sold out of plugs when I was there, good to see him building again. I count you, Gary and Digger as the people who helped me get started on the path to this building thing, as well as Joe Brotz (ROCKFISH9) from here and other sites.

There's a name I haven't heard in way too long.

Joe is one of my favorite people and I've dropped the ball badly there - need to see how he's doing.

I thought I remember MIKE Fixter coming in for that gathering and the show. No?

Charlie,

I'm pretty sure that Mike was in Asbury for Gary's last show, I picked up a Pikie, I was lucky enough to get to talk to both of them that day, Gary was long sold out and hanging around up in the stands and waved me up there just to chat. Helluva nice guy. And I hardly knew him, he hardly knew me, but remembered me from talking plugs. RIP.

Got the bug in 2009 and in March bought a Delta midi lathe. Never used a lathe in my life but I am pretty handy so with a book and two chisels I proceeded to make a pile of kindling out of red cedar deck railing scraps. First usable lures were based on the "Merry Plugmas" thread from another site. First fish on my own lure was East end of the Ditch on a Jigsmith pattern blue mack Danny. Plug hangs over my workbench - fish was a short. Got two keepers later that day. I can make a decent lure now and they catch fish so that is all good. Learned how to turn pens and pepper mills and the money from those goes back into fishing gear. This site and the information has been invaluable - plus playing in my workshop keeps me sane.

Best Regards

Puck