stateguy

Fishing Expo

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, jason colby said:

I will be there with a table and doing my "Quincy Flounder-Boston Harbor Seminar".

I'm sorry but I do not have the seminar schedule yet but I will post it on SOL for you when it is ready.

Used to hit Quincy back in the 70's.  Buy a sack of clams in Freeport and stay at the Susse Chalet in Braintree for a few days (filled up the tub with iced down flounder filets).  Launched at Hurley's and catch all the flounder and small cod you wanted.  Think I might hit this seminar just for old times sake.    

4 mins ago, YakDawg said:

Used to hit Quincy back in the 70's.  Buy a sack of clams in Freeport and stay at the Susse Chalet in Braintree for a few days (filled up the tub with iced down flounder filets).  Launched at Hurley's and catch all the flounder and small cod you wanted.  Think I might hit this seminar just for old times sake.    

A lot of people fish Quincy Bay with kayaks!

The cod were "quite the nuisance" in the years up to 2006, then they disappeared almost completely in a matter of two years. . Now we see few if any.....

19 hours ago, BASSOMATIC said:

jason I would rather hear you speak about surf fishing for big striped bass on Long Island. These youngsters wouldnt beleive some of the stories I have heard.

Most people don't know, don't want to know, don't care or all of the above. I've had people tell me when I'm booking a fishing show that "they would die if yet another guy wants to do a seminar about catching striped bass". So rather than piss upstream, it's easy to talk about Quincy Flounder, people like it and I have no competition (not that I would have much competition with the bass talk but the general public doesn't know that.). Best yet, when people go fishing on my boat they can ask me anything they want their whole trip......JC

Jason, is your seminar about the decline or comeback of the flounder? I used to go up there on bar trips as a teenager (early 70s) when 500 fish per boat was normal.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Jason, is your seminar about the decline or comeback of the flounder? I used to go up there on bar trips as a teenager (early 70s) when 500 fish per boat was normal.

Cheech-

I try to touch on a bit of "everything", from the history, the decline, the comeback and tragically the new decline. Also the fishing today, different methods and how they differ from how I fished flounder as a kid on Long Island. 

With an 8 fish/person limit you can't legally bring home 500 fish, even for a boatload of people but some days we sure could catch that many! We do a lot of "catch and release" and I use much bigger hooks than what New Yorkers are accustomed to. Size 2 and size 1 forged bronze streamer hooks (Mustad R73, if you can find them) are strong enough for the by-catch of cod and striped bass and they do not get "completely ingested" by the flounder like those "dreaded Chesterton's" everyone grew up with. 

I get people from NY that I have to de-program from the way they are used to, basically ripping those long shank hooks (Chesterton's, I call them "baby killer hooks") out and then trying to toss a fish back. I insist that if they choose to use those hooks then they will keep every fish over 12 inches instead of using my big hooks that cause virtually zero mortality on released fish. I have probably several dozen "differences" in what I do but that is an example of one.

This kid will be quite well known on Long Island before long!......JC

052718alexdouble.jpeg

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, BASSOMATIC said:

jason I would rather hear you speak about surf fishing for big striped bass on Long Island. These youngsters wouldnt beleive some of the stories I have heard.

On Long Island you have John Paduano for giving bass talks. I'm pretty sure he can teach most people a few things they will be better off for . I believe he is speaking at The Ward Mellville Show as well............JC